don't click here

SonLVL

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by MainMemory, Feb 7, 2011.

1. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    The way I see it, S2LVL is a community project, since it's on the SVN. I will only continue to update the INI files for the SVN disassemblies, but there's nothing stopping somebody else from copying the changes into INIs for the older disassemblies. In fact, the S2 2007 disassembly should work with the new INIs, if you remove the startpos lines (or split the start positions from s2.asm). I just don't have the patience to find all the changed filenames and labels for the S1 2005 disasm.

2. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    I believe Mercury or qiuu posted something in the S1SVN topic that deals with equivalent labels. That should help you.

3. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    I will not modify the INI/CS files for the 2005 disassembly. If you want it that badly, do it yourself.

4. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    "Latest revision: 318 - 3/14/2011 4:08:57 PM - MainMemory - S2LVL: Copied S2 SVN INIs to 2007 folder, minus startpos lines."
    Those of you using the Sonic 2 2007 disassembly, you can download INI files for S2LVL Beta 5 <a href="http://svn.sonicretro.org/dl.php?repname=CommunityDisassemblies&path=%2FPrograms%2FS2LVL%2FS2LVL%2FOld+disasm+INIs%2FS2LVL+-+2007%2F&isdir=1&rev=318&peg=318" target="_blank">here</a>. The only change I had to make for these was deleting the startpos lines (the start positions are in the ASM in the 2007 disassembly).

If somebody can write a program to automatically change the filenames and labels, I'll support the 2005 disassembly. Otherwise, I'm not going to spend time changing them all myself.

5. I have one thing to beg, and there's a high possibility it's been addressed, but I have yet to try S2LVL.

Can we please get some easy art-editing up in this mofo? I work in Photoshop, I love to do tile art, but there's never a simple, non-convoluted way to import art I've made in Photoshop, exported to gifs/pngs/targas, into a rom.

I'm begging you. Please come up with a simple gif chunk importer. You would make my day.

6. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    I honestly have no idea how to make that work. I was hoping that somebody else would, but clearly nobody is going to do anything with S2LVL besides me. Also fyi, S2LVL supports BMP,PNG,GIF,JPG and TIFF, which is one of the few good things about GDI+.

7. My ideal setup would be

Display a list of all tiles or chunks, click on the ones you wish to export, and then it'd create a sheet of them as a gif.

Take that gif into Photoshop, edit it for a bit, save, then go back to S2LVL and import it in using the same sheet and settings.

I can't think of the BEST way to do it, but I think that'd be ideal.

8. Jaseman

Jaseman

The programmer has a nap! Hold out! Programmer! Member
    Oh hey, it works for me now. Yay!

9. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    Now, you can get builds of S2LVL from the SVN, instead of waiting a month for me to decide to upload a build to the wiki. If you want to know when a new build is available, you can subscribe to the RSS feed here or join #svn on BadnikNET.
    New features include:
    [​IMG]
    • Multiple tile, block and chunk files per level, allowing proper support for GHZ, HTZ, WFZ, and S3K.
    • "Create Underwater Palette" dialog, allowing you to blend a chosen color with the normal palette to create an underwater one.
    • Full support for S3K. INI only has AIZ1 right now. S&K Collection is also supported, but there's no split disassembly right now.

10. Uberham

Uberham

King Of Oblivion Member
    Any chance of supporting Boundary editing?

11. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    Like camera boundaries? That would require them to be split from the ASM.

12. Uberham

Uberham

King Of Oblivion Member
    Yeah, so you can make levels wrap if you wanted, or make vertical levels ALA Jungle Zone.

13. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    With the Sonic 1 or the Sonic 2 object manager, that would be painfully slow, because Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 load objects according only to their X position, meaning that each time you enter a vertical slice of the level all the objects in that slice are loaded even if you're 9000 metres above/below them. You can experience a bit of lag because of this in a few zones like Marble Zone 3 or other zones with a big vertical range.
    Sonic 3 on the other hand features a smarter object manager that takes into account both the X position and the Y position, so you can have bigger levels with less lag. Some Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 hacks such as Megamix and possibly other ones use different object managers (either ports of Sonic 3's or custom ones), so that's something you should look into if you want to extend your levels vertically.
    However, I bet that Jungle Zone 2 would still be too tall because of the engine limitations themselves, but this is just speculation on my side. You could "cheat" and pull a Labyrinth Boss, slightly moving to the right while wrapping vertically. I think that's as close to Jungle Zone 2 as you can get.

14. Uberham

Uberham

King Of Oblivion Member
    Well it was less a "shit I want to do" and more a "Someone at some point WILL want to do this, and inclusion in your editor will make it the go-to level editor for doing stuff like that".

Obviously there should be a warning in the editor or the readme before you start dicking with that stuff, outlining what you just said.

15. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    I'm saying that including a feature to modify level boundaries would require modifying the disassemblies.

16. Uberham

Uberham

King Of Oblivion Member
    Blah, no worries dude.

EDIT, nevermind.

17. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    From the land of nobody cares:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Also, I've implemented boundary viewing, going to do editing... eventually.

18. Hitaxas

Hitaxas

Retro 80's themed Twitch streamer ( on hiatus) Member
    I love this program, and I would even consider switching from SonED2 altogether if the following was done:

There was a full-on tile editor that worked similar to the one in SonED2

There was an option to import are from file types such as BMP, PNG, GIF

There was an option to add custom objects to the INI files
    Edit: It seems it IS possible to add custom objects to the normal obj.ini , not the level specific ones however. One thing that bothers me however, I cannot get the are to show up, only the mappings. Leaving me with an invisible object, which can be difficult to relocate later on. Hopefully that can be addressed.

---

Please continue to work on this, as I will keep a very close eye on it.

19. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    You should be able to add anything to any of the INIs, since that's what INIs are for. I should probably write documentation on how to edit the INIs properly.

20. flamewing

flamewing

Emerald Hunter Tech Member
    France
    Sonic Classic Heroes; Sonic 2 Special Stage Editor; Sonic 3&K Heroes (on hold)
    Is there a way to specify in the INI files what format art is? If not, there should be.