don't click here

Archie Sonic Comic Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Jan 27, 2011.

1. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Admitedly I didn't think that was a good idea either. She wasn't really his character to despose of and the manner they planned to implement it sounded ridiculously convoluted and unemotional (I think I'm of the few people that didn't like Endgame). It's not like Sally is a lost cause, a good character could be made out of her (I adored her in early SatAm) she just fell to professional fanboyism and the comic's pretentious setup that a lot of the cast were diluted by.

2. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    No, Psi, it's okay. I really didn't like Endgame either. Probably the most overrated arc in the series, because it's so.. emotionless and anticlimactic, for both the "death" of Sally and the death of Robotnik. Oh yeah, and plotholes everywhere. + - If "dragons can't lie" wasn't the worst deus ex machina I've ever heard of I don't know what is; and it even raises an issue on it's own: if dragons not lying meant Sonic wasn't the killer, then why was she upset about Sallys fake death, if everything she knows is factual? And then there's the big deus ex machina where they use the excuse that Knothole survived by.. moving 3 hours into the future?? How does that fix anything?!   :psyduck:

In fact, it really comes together in the end. Endgame was basically Penders trying to completely destroy Sally, Robotnik and Knothole; then they threw a curveball and brought it all back in the end... well, minus Robotnik, but he was gonna come back anyways and there was no doubting that.

I have to agree with you on this one. During Archie's interpretation, we've seen a tomboyish princess character that's been transfigured into anything BUT a tomboy, and turned from a leader to a control-freak, and then psychotically obsessed with Sonic, and getting caught up in kingdom politics rather than protecting her turf like she always has. And the worst part is that they have pretty much forced us to like her like there's no tommorrow.

I think I read somewhere that whenever Penders couldn't get rid of Sally for good, he tried the hardest he could to make her unimportant. I'm down with that for the most part, but supposedly that had to do with opposing writers doing the stories; which is why we put up with Sonic going through so many love dodecagons with these random new girls-on-the-blocks, and then the ultimate breakup drama that happened when Penders finally got what he wanted.

3. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    I feel like Endgame was trying to be too ambitious in too little of space, hence the plotholes. I haven't read the super-sized issue #50, so I don't know if that makes things a little more understandable, but either way, I thought at least issue 50 was an awesome end to the arc. Spaz' rendition of the final battle was absolutely beautiful; the fact that it wasn't encumbered by pointless dialogue was a very smart choice.

As for Sally, I agree that she's feeling like a very stilted character at this point. Instead of trying to 'fix' her, they should just work on more organic writing for the character and the lost love, if any exists, will return.

4. SomeSortOfRobot

SomeSortOfRobot

Mid-Southern US
    http://legendoflucy.com
    I don't know about you guys, but I'm never going to get over the Sonic mask plot device.

There's good, silly fun, then there's blatant insults to your comprehension.

5. A bunch of plot holes are filled out in the 50 DX issue, though some of the more gaping ones remain still. Also, it includes this picture:

http://archive.sonic-hq.net/images/scans/a...ge/endgame2.jpg

This picture is just... awesome.

6. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

I've read Endgame only through the super special ending and still think it's crappy, a lot of plot points were resolved in an anti climax (eg. the Dragon Who Never Lies convincing everyone Sonic is innocent) and the whole setup for a lot of them seemed really convoluted and dumb (eg. Sally being 'killed' by a girl who was duped into wearing a Sonic suit that made Sally look like Snively from it's eye holes). Archie is one of the big factors as to I don't take to Sonic being serious, with pretentious gritty stuff mixed with overly silly plot points, usually all at the expense of actual character and story development.

Usually I don't take to writers 'fixing' characters, it's usually done in a really forced and overly blatant manner (expect lots of exposition and lampshading). The problem isn't Sally has flaws, I liked Satam Sally because she had even more evident flaws for that matter, just enjoyable and sympathetic ones that you can attribute to a cute little cartoon character over political and romantic angst.

7. Mmm, consider myself Pump'd.

8. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Ok archie:

[​IMG]

You win. thats a pretty damn cool cover! allot better then sonic 4's interpretation!

Heres the details:

9. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

Wait... you don't think they mean reboot do you? Because if they do, that would be the best freakin' decision since Endgame.

10. Xeric

Xeric

Workington, England
    S3K Mighty Sheet
    It's not a reboot. Ian's just done a lot of world building. He's not gonna go through all that and then drop it all.

11. I agree. Maybe I'll start reading the comic now if he isn't messing with the old continuity any more. This should've happened a long time ago.

12. Mr. Pictures

Mr. Pictures

Oldbie
    If it is a reboot, it might be a good thing. Just how much more inbred could the Archie Sonic universe get?

Edit: Also, there were so many loose ends to tie up continuity-wise, the comic made a point of only addressing those for years, I think they still do. There was never a resolution to anything but more questions.

13. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    Holy jesus tits....that might be the first modern sonic design I ever creamed over.

14. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy

It's been confirmed, even.

15. Ch1pper

Ch1pper

Fighting the Battle of Who Could Care Less Member
    Life.
    Very nice cover, though obviously because of the source. :)

I've gotta say that "side spine" coming out of his head on our left side looks very strange and tacked on. I understand that they're trying to show perspective and angles with the modern-era Sonic, but it just looks very awkward since it wasn't in the original source image.

Looking at it again, I notice that there's a very thinly-lined outline of the background objects in the image behind Sonic (the platforms/ground and the spiked log), while other things like clouds and checkerboard tiles are done using... I don't know what, just that it looks funny because they aren't outlined like the rest of the objects are. It makes Sonic stick out further than he should, especially with such a drastic difference between the line thickness of him vs. the background objects.

This is just general criticism that I, as someone who knows very little about art and this kind of thing, notices straight away. Dunno if it's possible for this cover art to be edited/tweaked before launch or anything. Just throwing it out there.

(Edit: Tried to clarify myself more.)

16. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

Is that how he'll be drawn from here on or is it only for the gimmick of the issue? If it is only for the cover... what a tease.

17. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor! Member
    Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
    Well, in recent years, just 'cuz Spaz-art has been on the cover hasn't necessarily meant it'd be in the issue…

18. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Yeah true some had really great cover art but meh actual comic work.|

EDIT: I posted this somewhere else figured I post it here as well:

Now about the retcon thing, before you get your pikes and torches out let me explain. I, in my opinion, Think that sonic has gone through a retcon of sorts esp. the alteration part of retcon. SEGA has fucked up the story that sonic 4 is supposed to take place right after sonic 3k BUT sonic has green eyes and looks modern. now since nothing was ever explained by SEGA about the issue of why modern sonic is in a classic-style game thats supposed to be taking place after classic sonic saved the planet from classic eggman. the only possible explanation is that SEGA decided to do a retcon of sorts. Unless sonic went through puberty during that short time and eggman decided that his old clothes were too tight for him, it makes sense to me at least.

19. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    Green eyes and retarded longer quills on Classic Sonic. I see what you fucking did there Archie.

Judging from the description this sounds like it's going to be a series focusing specifically on the games themselves.

So no SatAM characters at all? I am intrigued. I haven't heard from Spaz in a long time either, I assumed he wasn't working with Archie anymore. I will never forget the work he did in Sonic #50.

EDIT: Wait, it says #226, so this is not a new side series. Lame.

20. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor! Member
    Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
    Far as I am aware, Sonic the Comic didn't need any explanation whatsoever to make green-eyes Sonic work within their setting whatsoever, why would the games.
    Though, I am personally thinkin' Sonic Pocket Adventure should come between 3 and 4 just to close the gap -- if only 'cuz from what I read, Eggman donned the old clothes throughout that game except for the final boss or somethin'. :B