don't click here

Character Art

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Vincent, Mar 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Right click -> install

2. Jay T.

Jay T.

It takes an idiot to do cool things... Member
    That was weird. It didn't work the first time. Oh well. Thanks!

3. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    It doesn't run in VirtualBox. It complains that it can't initialize drawing surfaces.

In Wine, it shows the title screen, but then immediately exits. Here's the debug output:

Code (Text):
    1. fixme:x11drv:sync_window_opacity LWA_COLORKEY not supported
    2. err:dmloader:IDirectMusicLoaderImpl_IDirectMusicLoader_SetObject : could not attach stream to file
    3. fixme:dmime:IDirectMusicPerformance8Impl_InitAudio (0x175250, (nil), (nil), 0x10086, 8, 64, 3f, (nil)): to check
    4. fixme:mixer:ALSA_MixerInit No master control found on Em28xx Audio, disabling mixer
    5. err:alsa:ALSA_CheckSetVolume Could not find 'PCM Playback Volume' element
    6. fixme:dmime:IDirectMusicPerformance8Impl_InitAudio return dsound(0x176cc0,0)
    7. fixme:dmime:IDirectMusicPerformance8Impl_Init (iface = 0x175250, dmusic = (nil), dsound = 0x176cc0, hwnd = 0x10086)
    8. fixme:dmime:IDirectMusicPerformance8Impl_CreateStandardAudioPath (0x175250)->(8, 64, 0, 0x17541c): semi-stub
    9. fixme:dmime:IDirectMusicAudioPathImpl_IDirectMusicAudioPath_Activate (0x1af448, 0): stub
    10. fixme:win:EnumDisplayDevicesW ((null),0,0x32f694,0x00000000), stub!
    11. fixme:d3d:swapchain_init Add OpenGL context recreation support to context_validate_onscreen_formats
    12. fixme:dmime:IDirectMusicPerformance8Impl_CloseDown (0x175250): stub
    13. fixme:shdocvw:OleObject_Close (0x1687a0)->(1)
    Also, it seems the executable has a ton of unnecessary garbage from Delphi's runtime, including a bunch of bitmaps, icons, and cursors. Consider rewriting the screensaver in a better language, such as C++. (I wasn't even aware people still used Delphi in 2011. Then again, people still use VB6...)

EDIT: I got it to work in VirtualBox by enabling 3D acceleration passthrough, and well... it seems a bit underwhelming. Among other things, that could have been done using SDL software rendering and/or OpenGL with a much smaller filesize. Again, consider rewriting it using C++ and possibly switching to SDL+OpenGL. (Also, I didn't hear any sound, even though Wine indicated that DirectMusic was in use. Is there supposed to be any sound playing?)

4. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I don't see what's the problem with Sonic not smiling. The fact that he wasn't depicted with a mouth in the original sprites already made his expression look more serious (focused?) than other videogame characters like Mickey in Castle of Illusion or Bubsy the Bobcat, for example.

At least in the first two games, he seemed to smile only when breaking the fourth wall, facing at the "camera" (intro, ending, game covers). Other than that, and if I remember correctly, he only really started to be shown smiling by default in Sonic 3, and then from the Sonic Adventure artwork onwards, with his new design.

Of course, I'm speaking of the games only.

5. Cerulean Nights

Cerulean Nights

Sonic 2 HD Sprite Artist Member
    The choice to make him not smile all the time was very deliberate. He's not trying to look angry, we didn't try to make him 'cool', he is determined. There are plenty of other instances where he does smile, but just having one smiling facial expression the whole game would get dull very quickly.

6. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    It's not as if he's forcefully smiling, that would make it look dull and awkward. This determined look your on about looks one dimensional for Sonic's casual look and is better off when Sonic is Super Sonic (like the one in Vincent's avatar which looks great). Not only that but it makes him look chubby in the cheeks. The smile makes Sonic look playful which is far from dull, and a good example of that is with the latest title screen wallpaper.

7. McGuirk

McGuirk

The Egg-Man Cometh. Member
    Fort Worth, Texas, USA
    Making a Full-Sized Egg Carrier in Minecraft.
    I like the determined look. That's how I interpreted Sonic with the lack of mouth in Sonic 2, so the current sprite is only about 3 cents shy of being right on the money for me. However, I am curious to see in what situations he is smiling.

8. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Sonic smiles when he's standing around chilling out and when he's moving somewhere to get shit done he stops smiling. Simple as that.

9. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    He he, nice. This is the way I see it too. I actually prefer the generally more determined look.

10. McGuirk

McGuirk

The Egg-Man Cometh. Member
    Fort Worth, Texas, USA
    Making a Full-Sized Egg Carrier in Minecraft.
    You have made me happy. I like bullshit-free.

11. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    I just noticed something...

Going from the last frame to the first frame of the running animation, his left arm seems to kinda....snap. Doesn't look so smooth there.

12. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    I think the same with the closest foot, but I guess it adds to the effect of 'flicking'...?
    EDIT: Actually it's like it on both feet... I guess it's okay.

13. Volpino

Volpino

Things are looking up! Member
    A secret. >:3
    I love the new Tails model, better than I had. :V But why is he smiling? It seems weird to me to see him smiling. Maybe on the title screen, but in the actual game, he always looked more determined with a straight-mouth look, just my two cents.

I think I brought this up earlier actually, but that's the only problem I have with the new art. Maybe make the smile a bit weaker?

Edit: Also the muzzle looks a bit thick on the tip and the head looks a little bit wide, but both are minor complaints on my part.

14. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    This is how I feel about both Tails and Sonic. Whenever I play Sonic 2, I never see them as smiling. Sonic and Knuckles sorta look like they're smiling in Sonic 3, though.

Otherwise, newTails looks fantastic. I'm loving the detail and shading.

15. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Some part of me thinks Tails should be smiling, I just have in in my head that he is just.... innocent. (Obviously not that innocent since he knows what's going on, but...)

I love it.

16. Volpino

Volpino

Things are looking up! Member
    A secret. >:3
    I think Tails has a lot of innocence about him, but that's actually why I think he should look more nervous than happy. That, and his confidence issues lead me to believe he wouldn't be as eager or cocky as Sonic.

17. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
  18. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    The more I look at the new look for Tails, the more I like it. I think I like it more than even Sonic's artwork which is probably because Tails required a lot more detail. Damn good job. I will say this though. In Sonic 2 and 3&K, I always imagined Tails having a neutral look to his face while standing and walking but with a smile while running. I also imagined Sonic with a neutral face in Sonic 1 and 2 but smiling in 3&K.

19. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Really? I think the S3&K Sonic looks argressive/angry.

I'm really getting to love the whole "get darker... then lighter right at the edge" style shading from the original art. Is this style applied to any other objects other than characters?

20. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    [​IMG]

Looks happy to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.