don't click here

General Project Thread & Feedback

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by steveswede, Apr 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    Exactly the same thoughts as me. Even on it's own the shading there is too strong.

2. Ross-Irving

Ross-Irving

It's a goddamn hand, who cares.

3. Andeed

Andeed

Holy pug in a pizza box... Member
    Wales, UK
    Sonic 1 AS3 Engine
    Well there seems nothing better to do other than moan in this forum at the moment so I thought I'd try and do something constructive anyway... Besides it's a small change that would make it look better, since the main attribute of this project is attention to detail.

4. ancara

ancara

While the Art and stuff is definitly obvious as to how the staff is going about, I take it that it's still safe to submit possible remasterings of the music, SFX, as well as possible design ideas for various items so as to make them seem less bland and same-y and ways to do things like online multiplayer (does anybody even remember this, or does anybody even want to try doing it to help out?) ?

Yeah guys, I'm just trying to give people the reminder that (possibly) there's still other things we, as the community, can do to make the game shiney and nice. :v:

I for one am still trying to get a good remastering done, so yeah. As long as these options are still open, I don't think that the thing is really too bad. After all, as long as options remain, we can still help out.

......or maybe that's just me being optimistic. :v:

5. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    And yet people wonder it's only the staff doing the art now. Nothing should get that nitpicked, yet it does time and again.

As for the bush, if you guys can look at the first version of it that was done and consider it superior, I don't know what to tell you. That first bush was a truly terrible piece of artwork that we fought with for weeks before settling on the design you see now. It absolutely does not fit with any of the art.

6. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    About the bush. First and foremost it most likely looks like it doesn't blend in with the level because I darkened the level around the bush in that screenshot to take the attention away from everything else and put it solely on the bush.

Now, I actually spent a pretty good amount of time working on that thing and I spent another pretty good amount of time kicking ideas around with a few people just to figure out what it was going to look like. Everything on it is hand drawn and there were no crummy filters used on it to distort it. That's actually one of the reasons we don't like the old bush we had. The leaves were generated by making a checkered pattern and then distorting them. As a result, the old bush ended up breaking pretty much every perspective rule that's used in the classic Sonic games, and that is something I remedied with the new bush.

As for it appearing to be more original pixelfaggish looking that was actually wholly intentional. The shading on the original sprite is surprisingly complex, and almost none of that really shows through until you zoom in on it. That's the primary inspiration for shading each individual leaf like a diamond. Most of the leaves on the original sprite did it to an extent so we magnified that and it created a pretty striking pattern. The overall shape of the bush was not derived from the original sprite, however. I spent a lot of time staring at the sprite and When I first started working on it I decided that I wanted the top and bottom of the bush flat to reinforce the strong horizontal lines that are present, and not muddy the basic silhouette of the bush up by making it look like stuff wraps around the top and bottom edges. After I had the basic shapes done it was still a bit flat looking so I made a back layer of leaves to fill it in a bit and complete the illusion of depth.

All the above was done around this time last year and I actually decided to re-add the ear bits to it after showing it off on the forums here and seeing some people talk about missing them. So I thought about it and I said, "You know what, those ear bits really are something that helps make that bush unique." So that was that and I got them back in. So after saying that, the bush is pretty much in the exact same state it was in this time last year aside from color corrections and some touch ups. Any constructive feedback for this thing should've been given a long time ago.

7. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    You did a great job with the bush. From what you had to go by, it's brilliant. It also helps with the including of emeralds in Emerald Hill zone, and it goes nicely with the tree and the bridge base (both of which have Emeralds(shapes) on or in them).

8. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    I also have to defend the bush. I don't think it looks rubbish at all, I think it's a big improvement over the original and fits well with the wacky world art of Sonic.

9. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    ohinoticedsomthing
    In the trailer, there is a missing badnik.
    Two trees to the left of the star-post, there should be a coconuts...

If you just edited this for the sake of the trailer, that's fine.

10. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    I'm guessing the coconuts isn't done yet.

About the hand...it's clearly a shading error. Not that my (or anyone else's) opinion matters, but it looks like another finger. I thought it was another finger until somebody brought it up. That is all.

11. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Actually there is one already present in the trailer, it's the 2nd badnik Sonic kills.

12. Andeed

Andeed

Wales, UK
    Sonic 1 AS3 Engine
    Thank you, someone agrees with me! CK, it just seems that if you're working so hard on the game then it should be as perfect as it can be and since the title screen is pretty much the first thing you're gonna see, I'd have though you'd want it as good as possible... Especially if the hand's going to be animated then your eyes are going to be drawn to it even more.

EDIT: You can't really call something as obvious as this "nitpicking" when months were spent on things like the tree in HTZ and the bomb in the Special Stage (where chances are you're going to see them for a fraction of a second at high speeds).

13. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    Months were spent on here nitpicking those things, and that was the problem. Nothing on them was ever accomplished.

For the record, scanline will be going over the titlescreen and adding more polish to it. So I wouldn't consider that finalized yet. Quite a bit of what you saw in the trailer isn't, obviously.

14. Andeed

Andeed

Wales, UK
    Sonic 1 AS3 Engine
    Ok, fair enough :)

15. scanline99

scanline99

Passing By Member
    UK
    ???
    Just a quick message to say thanks for the levelled and sensible critique that folks have been giving to the titlescreen Sonic thus far.

It's true that technically, any of those assets are subject to change and when I read the comments, I am keen to note them down and take them into consideration if it means a neat little improvement to the piece - I'll do the best I can as and when - and hopefully there will be a few pleasant surprises down the line as well ;).

16. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    Going back to the "S2HD Contributor" icon, I was wondering why I haven't got one - even though I've contributed plenty of ideas over the years?

If I posted everything in one reply, it would come to quite a fair amount of stuff! Eggman, the monitor animation (even though it'll never be used), the look of the fireball, etc.

17. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    I figured it was for people that contributed actual artwork, instead of ideas. I've contributed ideas too

18. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    It is, I forget where I read this, but I did.

19. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    But none of 'our' artwork is going to go in to S2HD; we're here to give them inspiration on for their own artwork and stuff - that's the point of our existence as a 'community'. Besides, it doesn't say "S2HD artwork contributor", just "contributor" - which really could be/mean anything!

20. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Oh, right, it says: This member contributed a final, accepted product into the Sonic 2 HD Community Project.

I guess that isn't too specific.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.