don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog Classic

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Hez, Jan 17, 2010.

1. n00neimp0rtant

n00neimp0rtant

EYES ONLY Member
    South Park, PA
    Creation Kit (Skyrim mods and patches)
    No, no—Sonic XG and Retro Sonic were both "canceled" because they fused into one project.

2. Titan

Titan

UK
    Is Retro Sonic XG still alive then? When was there last news on it?
    Anyway, I'm really looking forward to Classic coming out, well done Hez as it looks fantastic and I can't wait to play =D

3. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    This. I haven't heard any news on this project in years.

4. Overbound

Overbound

Iowa
    Sonic Time Twisted Creator
    Sonic XG/Nexus/Retro is not canceled at least not according to the people in charge of the project.

If you want to know what the physics are going to be like the engine is Sonic Worlds. In otherwords its the same engine as Axiom, Zero or a host of other fan games. The demo of last demo of XG (2007) is actually pre Worlds so you can expect the physics to be better than it had. You can take a look at Sonic Worlds yourself here. Worlds is a great open source engine, the physics aren't perfect but they are close (certainly better than Sonic 4). Plus its got all the basics (rings, monitors, classic gimmicks) you need to make a Sonic game. Sonic Worlds which runs inside of Multimedia Fusion and is probably the easiest way to make a fan game right now.

5. 360

Light Vision Overdrive Oldbie
    United Kingdom
    Sonic Neon
    Man I am so looking forward to this game (Sonic Classic) dropping. I think high-quality classic fangames like this fill a void in a way that Sega has thus far failed. When Sonic Classic releases I'm going to do exactly what I did when I bought Sonic 3 (when I was about eleven years old) and buy a couples of bottles of Pepsi and marathon through the game as though it literally is a new Sonic game.

Surely you're almost done by now Hez? It will all be worth it in the end I promise. You have many people here looking forward to the game including myself and you're sure to receive glowing praise when the game hits. The feedback thread will be glorious.

As for Sonic XG: from haunting the Sfghq forums a couple of years ago there was a storm of attention surrounding the game when it switched to Retro Sonic XG (basically a new engine and potential levels from Retro Sonic converted over) and then all went extremely silent. I think silence for two years is not a particularly promising indication that the game is still being worked on. It would be a profound shame given they had already completed the levels (at least in terms of the visuals) and were arguably working on the most promising Sonic fangame ever.

Perhaps we can do some detective work and find out what's going on with the game? We're supposed to be Second Only to Sega afterall. Can anyone get in touch with the creators and get a status update?

6. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    Hate to stray too far off, but I messaged Sir Euan and he messaged me back with this:

Back on topic, however, I'm flippin' chomping at the bit to get my hands on Classic. Lol, I'm about to go crazy!

7. Overbound

Overbound

Iowa
    I didn't say anything about Euan involvement. XG/Retro and Nexus are all in development according to the people currently working on the project. But yes, Sir Euan has been off the project for a long time now.

8. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

Ah, I was under the impression Euan was still part of the merged project.

9. Overbound

Overbound

Iowa
    He was at the time. But I'm not going to get into details. The simple answer is XG/Retro is still being developed according to the people currently involved in the project.

10. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys. Member
    The Land of Waldos
    Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
    Hez, you aren't waiting for the Spinball sounds from me are you? Please don't wait for me, or I will get mobbed by everyone here.

11. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

I don't think he is, he was saying he would have had it done today if he'd had his computer yesterday.

We're so freakin' close... can't wait to play :v:

12. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    Overbounds right (based on things I've heard); just don't expect anything for a long time. Keeping my mouth shut otherwise.

13. Azu

Azu

I must be stupid. Member
  14. Mr Lange

Mr Lange

A wise guy eh. I know how to DEAL with wise guys. Member
    The Land of Waldos
    Sonic Utopia, Sonic Overture
    I already know about these, there's really not much here and they're all bad quality (as if they are playing at double tempo or something).

15. Sir Euan

Sir Euan

Glasgow, Scotland
    http://www.iameuangallacher.co.uk
    I've not been working on any sort of fangame for a good few years now. Still come back now and again to see what's getting made though.

Sonic Classic looks almost too good, looking forward to it's release. And this thread is for classic, so let's leave xg alone haha.

16. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    Just had a thought:

Hez, will this be compatible with XBox 360 controllers? I use one for PC gaming, and it's annoying as shit when I can't set directions to the digital pad (which is the POV HAT); by default, it's the left analogue stick for directions. Not good.

17. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    You can, but the D pad is usually not available on controllers like that. I wouldn't know though, I've never tried. I know you can use glovepie to set keys manually...that may be a route you can take?

18. Skeledroid

Skeledroid

Get Xpadder ;)

19. Wow its been a long time since I have posted in this thread.

Looks like things are really coming together really well now Hez! :thumbsup:

Also, I really like your take on bridge zone. The art is beautiful and very clear! :)

I just wanted to raise a little bit of discussion from earlier in this thread.

If this becomes a reality, any quibbles about this using sonic worlds will be well and truly out of the window!

Once again, well done on this so far Hez!

I cant wait to see the final product! :)

Also, as a side note, my personal program of choice for setting up gamepads on PC games is joy2key. http://lmgtfy.com/?q=joy2key

20. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    Conversion is still up to Stephen

Also, I plan on working on it almost all day today.