don't click here

Zyrinx

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Oerg866, Feb 10, 2011.

1. Ah yes, Zyrinx.

A very overlooked game developer, best known for Sub Terrania. For the sake of the subject, we will stick with the less known but even more technically impressive game "Red Zone". I have stumbled upon "Red Zone" due to my nature by being a demoscener. What is the demoscene? well, Google it ;) -- The nature implies a very near connection between its bragging right there in the intro:

[​IMG]

I got my hands on it thanks to TmEE, and when I saw this screen I already had this suspicion, the music confirmed it, as did the available information on the internet.

The group consisted of demosceners that were active at the end of the 80s/early 90s on the Amiga platform, including composer Jesper Kyd.

Another famous instance of this group was without a doubt the 32X Demo Tape. Take a look here.

However, faces were widely unknown until one of the involved people has commented, on the biggest demoscene online platform in the world: pouet.net.

Quick note: Hannibal is from Lemon.

Which is very interesting.

Sionic, you say? Well, let's take a look:

http://ada.untergrund.net/?p=scener&I=738

(Had to use TinyURL because the forum would fuck up the parameters of the URL....)

Jesper Kyd was part too, and even worked on the same "Hardwired" Production from the Silents.

Speaking of Silents, Guzzler was another named individual, famous for example by this demo:

http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=27203

Are these people still active in the scene?

Ultimately: No. Unfortunately they have all taken other plans and the Silents group has had its last release eight years ago.

This information can be used to polish the article about Zyrinx.

Cheers,
    Oerg866

2. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    I'm wondering what game turned out to be the polygon rendering demo in the Zyrinx demotape. The last two demos ended up as the canceled X-men 32x game and Amok on the Saturn. The polygon demos don't look much like Scorcher though, unless they used the same engine with completely different levels.
    One thing most people don't notice is that the second polygon demo, the one with gourad shading, it also had animated cloud shadows cast on the ground.

Didn't the Zyrinx/Lemon people end up at Futuremark, or am I thinking of a different demoscene group?

3. Maybe, I don't know exactly what happened to all of them yet. According to andlabs, Jesper Kyd ended up in Eidos or something.

4. Vendettagainst

Vendettagainst

Apparently shooting kills things Member
    He has a Wikipedia page. It's quite fleshed out too, much more than the actual developers he worked for.

5. LocalH

LocalH

roxoring your soxors Tech Member
    Wow, who would have thunk it...Silents and Lemon, two of my favorite crews on the miggy.

6. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    He also has his own official website, official myspace, official facebook fan page, official facebook site, twitter, and messageboard.

He also has an entry at imdb, and his site has a list of his demoscene entries under 'bio'.

7. Didn't a few team members from Zyrinx work on the Advenutres of Batman and Robin for the Genesis? I know that at least the music was done by Jesper Kyd, but I'm pretty sure it shared a couple more team members than just him. Shame that team never went on to do anything else.

8. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Well, it at least used the same sound engine from Sub Terranea and Red Zone.

9. Meat Miracle

Meat Miracle

Researcher
    I think they made the entire game. How else would you explain the crazy as fuck graphics?

10. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    http://www.sega-16.com/feature_page.php?id...0Chris%20George

And he left to start a coffee house in Ireland!

11. Wow. That's pretty stupid :)

Talent? Forget Talent man! Coffee for life!

12. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    It's what he wanted in life. Talent isn't good for much if you don't enjoy the work, and coding is one of those things that can get monotonous real fast when you don't have autism. Be glad he accomplished what he did.

13. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Or maybe he got tired of milestones and such and decided to do it as a hobby only. Besides knowledge and skills on manipulating old hardware don't translate into the same for newer hardware.

EDIT: has anybody tried to contact him? I guess I could end up in some interesting chat with him, with all that crazy stuff...