don't click here

SonLVL

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by MainMemory, Feb 7, 2011.

1. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    Its not that techies don't care.... Its just the fact the tech lounge has been dead for almost a year now... lol

2. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    Hello!

hopefully this program will load up Hill Top's tiles properly without a save state.

3. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    That will still require manually creating a new file and merging HTZ's tiles with EHZ's.

4. Animemaster

Animemaster

Prison bitch! Member
    UK
    Sonic 1 Revelation
    Looks cool and all, but I've mastered sonED2 so I don't think I would really need to switch programs, so yeah agreed with the above.
    Edit: I also find sonED2 alot easier than asm in that regard.

5. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    You're planning to have an in-program art editor aren't you? Wouldn't copy+pasting work? Or am I missing something?

6. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    Yes, there will be an in-program art editor. I'm just not sure how to make importing images work.

7. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    So, since I got more feedback than I anticipated, I'm releasing a public beta. This beta does not have any tile/block/chunk editing, only has objects for EHZ and CPZ, and uses the KENS DLLs for compression (this prevents it from running on Mono on non-Windows platforms).

The readme should adequately explain how to use it (I hope).

Download (Mirror)

Some notes about objects:
    Objects which consist of multiple sub-objects (EHZ bridge) will only show one sprite. This cannot be changed unless I rewrite the object display system, or create custom mappings for them.
    Springs and the Grabber badnik have no split mappings file due to being shared with another set of mappings, so I had to create files for them in S2LVL's folder.
    The 1up Monitor does not display Sonic's icon. This would require a custom art file.
    The display of ring groups is hardcoded to use object 25 (ring)'s art and mappings data, and to have 24 pixels between rings.

8. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    I suggest... scrollbars.

Smooth ones too, that scroll as you scroll, not snap when you release.

9. Skeledroid

Skeledroid

There definitely needs to be an editor with an easier/intuitive UI, so I hope you keep working on this. I stopped working on my hack because SonEd2 is ass-backwards. :s

10. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    Added.

11. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    FraGag suggested I add a new feature that SonED2 doesn't have:
    [​IMG]
    In this screenshot, I've done two edits: filling the waterfall area with the ground chunk, and putting one in the upper right corner. I click on the second item in the menu...
    [​IMG]
    ...and both edits are undone.

So basically, it works the same way as every other program.

Still trying to figure out how the tile/block/chunk/palette editor should work as well.

12. Alriightyman

Alriightyman

I am back... from the dead! Tech Member
    Somewhere in hot, death Florida
    0101001101101111011011100110100101100011 00000010: 0101001100000011 01000101011001000110100101110100011010010110111101101110
    Alright, now that it doesn't crash on me and I can try it, I can say that I do like it so far. There are a few issues that I have bumped into. First, when double clicking to add an object, the window is a little too small. What I mean is I can see the top of two buttons, but I don't know what the say. Making that dialog box resizable would be nice. Also, when placing chunks, the images in the dialog box only show the a single type of background chunk multiple times (I tried it later and it seems to do this randomly. Its only happened on EHZ so far). Also, having it resizable would also be nice.

Maybe it's just like that because it is in beta state.

I really do like it, keep up the excellent work!!

13. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    Not seeing the OK and Cancel buttons is probably a bug in WinForms. Either way, I've made the dialog resizable and increased the default size. I also fixed the chunk select images, and that form should already be resizable. Now the only form that isn't resizable is the main form.

14. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Why not? Making it resizable would be awesome. Full-Screen Sonic editing is yet to be mastered (I think).

15. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    Fine. I made it resizable, and added Alt+Enter for fullscreen. Although the bigger you make the window, the more it lags. Maybe if I used Blast Processing...

16. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    Beta 2:
    • Added Undo/Redo.
    • Made all forms resizable.
    • Added fullscreen mode.
    • Added copying and pasting of objects.
    • Added object definitions for ARZ and DEZ.
    • Added dropdown menu for object ID editing.

A few minor cosmetic bugs:
    Grounders are all upside down.
    The Signpost has a pixel-wide gap in the middle.

17. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Much better.

Suggestion: Add a shortcut for acquiring the tile/object under the mouse, that'd be pretty useful, I've added it into Sonic Maker.

18. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    If by tile, you mean chunk, then that is done by right-click, as described in readme.txt. As for the object, you could just copy/paste.

19. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Oh... oh, nice. That's better than what I said. I should read the readme.

20. Tets

Tets

one rude dude Oldbie
    Holy crap! A bit rough around the edges, but this is already a decent level editor with some solid ideas behind it. I'm noticing there is little in the way of keyboard shortcuts, but hope that's simply due to the early state of the program.

Between this and the new special stage editor, I almost feel like getting back to hacking. Looking forward to future updates.