don't click here

The S Factor: Sonia and Silver

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Aquaslash, Apr 12, 2007.

1. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    Its cool 'slash. I just figured you were too busy or were just keeping things secret like how megamix is doing.

2. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    Not much, got uninspired and lazy for a long ass time, just now restarted working on the thing. Redid all of White Blaster's FG art. Working on other levels and better layouts. No reason to release anything because overall little is different. Slow progress is slow.

3. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

[​IMG]

Moving right along...

4. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    It looks great Aquaslash! Can't wait to play this!

5. Icewarrior

Icewarrior

I'm a member of S.T.A.R.S !!11!!!1!! Member
    Looks great, are you still keeping those tiles though?

6. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

The main ground ones, yes. The poles, no, those will go.

7. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    Ohh, I didn't even realize what zone that was at first! Looks fantastic!

8. REPO Man

REPO Man

This hack is boss. One of my faves.

9. mdawgmike

mdawgmike

This is also one of my all time favorite hacks. The characters, music, level design, and relative difficulty compared to other Sonic games all fit together nicely to give this high replay value. It's great to see that it's being worked on again. The new level art looks awesome!

After playing through the game several times, and getting used to everything, I just have a few critiques. The first would be to add in Metal Sonic at the end of White Blaster, if it isn't already in the plans. It just seems incomplete or something without him. The second, maybe something I'm doing wrong, would be a way to damage Metal Knuckles (or even to be able to dodge his homing balls of death) without losing rings. I can't seem to find any way to do it currently, however I've worked out a mostly consistent method using the temporary invulnerability to spin-dash him while maintaining enough rings to avoid death.

The third request would be to release a version that doesn't lock up on the hardware, regardless of whatever other progress has been done. The currently released version (0.5) will randomly lock up when going to the special stage, and has also done it consistently on Chaotic Street whenever I try to play on my Genesis :(. Of course, all is fine on an emulator. I think I remember you saying something earlier about the subsequent builds being perfectly stable...

Otherwise, awesome hack! I look forward to the new stuff being added in.

10. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

Always welcome

He's already there. I think I released a screenshot or two a while back. He was always supposed to have been there, he just wasn't coded at the time of release.

Now let's see. I think in the old build, it's rather simple to do a no damage run on MK (right now it's pathetically easy due to some placeholder programming). I'd have to play it again to see though. Sonia's moveset is completely different now and currently Silver has a ridiculous huge advantage against him that I should probably do something about.

In short, I'll look into it.

Last I checked, the last version worked on hardware just fine. This is the first I've heard of it locking up at all, never mind those places. I can't do a new release right now though. Not only is there too much different, but a recent internal change broke three of the levels.

HOWEVER, as far as releases go, there will be one for the hacking contest. How far it is, well, we'll just have to see.

11. Skeledroid

Skeledroid

I like the colors in this a lot. Sort of reminds me of that homebrew Genesis game I saw on here or Sonic CD.

Edit: The best H.U.D. I've seen in a hack also, in my opinion.

12. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Damn Aqua, these are beautiful-no, sexy designs. I love appearances like these, the tiles just have the genuine "pop-out" look. Simply beautiful.

(Sorry if this expands a limit in post size.)

13. Chris Highwind

Chris Highwind

Statesville, NC
    Slacking
    Believe me, Emerald Master, there is absolutely no limit to the post size around here. That size is tame in comparison to the massive wall o' texts we can get around here.

Anyways, looking forward to another release of this fine game, Aquaslash!

14. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

15. The Shad

The Shad

↑ & ↓ & ↻ Oldbie
    I dig it.

16. Chris Highwind

Chris Highwind

Statesville, NC
    Slacking
    Seconded, for some reason I always love seeing well-done boxart mockups of hacks. Dunno why.

17. Destructiox

Destructiox

Masochistic Maniac, Raving Lunatic Member
    East Midlands, England
    Sonic 1 Lunacy.
    Is that ESRB rating 'Kick-Ass'? >.>

18. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    No, "Kids to Adults"

19. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    Seeing that this game is younger than 1998, shouldn't it rather be Everyone? :V

Nice cover though!

20. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Nice cover, the Yardley Scourge art clashes a little with your Sonic X style art though (as lush as both are).