don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog Classic

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by Hez, Jan 17, 2010.

1. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    Aaaaawsome :D

Unfortunately, my PC died on me a few days ago, leaving me unable to play the final product if there's only going to be a PC version :argh:

2. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    you could always just emulate windows? It's not hard at all

Also on the note of things, I don't understand why bridge zone is such a popular level. It's, in reality, a pretty boring level.

Fixed colors kind of
    [​IMG]

3. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

Never successfully emulated anything before, but I'll give it a go. Thanks!

4. dsrb

dsrb

Do MMF games run on Wine?

5. Overbound

Overbound

Iowa
    Sonic Time Twisted Creator
    Can't it be converted to Flash? MMF has that capability.

6. Mr. Mash

Mr. Mash

All fanbases are awful Member
    drawing
    It's the music for me. Hope you've got a nice re-working of that song.
    I mean, I like the level, and the autoscroll thing is a fun little challenge on the GG screen, but that music.

7. I don't know about most MMF games, but at least this one does, and so far I don't recall having seen any anomalies. Even the gamepad works.

This game looks really amazing. Keep up the good work ;)

8. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Ah! I love your take on the level. Everything blends together very nicely.

9. dsrb

dsrb

Regarding the newer BZ screenshot, are the background trees meant to contain so much black? And I'm guessing the water isn't always that high?

Also, what did you decide to do about the other two levels? ;)

Good to hear—thanks!

10. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    No, I mocked those screens up. The black forest in the background is black because if not, it blends to much with the foreground.

Also, boss ideas? Or should I go with the original?

EDIT: Forgot to answer the question about the other levels. They're canned.

11. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

I think for sake of nostalgia, keep the original, but maybe mix it up a bit, like add the move from S&K's Flying Battery Zone where he kind of circles around the bridge pretty quickly to add a little difficulty.

Also, will there be a 16-bit rendition of the swingin' boss music from the original, or will you be substituting it with the boss music used in the rest of the game?

12. Skeledroid

Skeledroid

I would make the bolt things on the fence in BZ white, just sayin'.

13. Overbound

Overbound

Iowa
    Sonic Time Twisted Creator
    Or color them the same color as the rest of the fence.

14. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    I spent a few hours trying to convert the Sonic Worlds demo to a .swf file that didn't go like 10 frames per second and had working graphics and couldn't. But maybe I was doing something wrong. I certainly HOPE I was, because I payed for the damned SWF converter part of the program.

15. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    you must have been. Classic works fine with a few work arounds. I just never have uploaded a flash demo.

16. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    + - Was gonna post this earlier, but spilt coffee on my keyboard =$  

Yes Bridge Zone is indeed a boring level, infact in my opinion it was one of the worst levels I've seen in a Sonic Game, the issue is that it's not necessarily the idea of the level that makes it terrible, you might find that the way the idea is carried out and how well it's produced, designed, gimmicked, and executed along with music and style, changes people thoughts about how "good" the level actually is.

And the proof is in all of these lovely responses from your fellow members to your excellent work on the design and style of Bridge Zone, you have put in nice shades and blended certain parts, given the mountains a more "clear" view (honestly didn't notice them in the original SMS/GG version because they were so dull), the added clouds, trees and plants give it a more lively atmosphere from the original, and the high contrast of colours? That ALWAYS tends to work well when it comes to designing a Sonic level.

THAT is why Bridge Zone is now more interesting these days, other people's work tends to work out better than the original, and you've done a great job here.

17. Impish

Impish

I would love a flash version, as MMF executables are completely useless on Linux/Wine.

18. ... I would like to disagree with that statement (and now when I think of it, Sonic Rebirth worked on Wine as well):
    [​IMG]

I use the development version of Wine (it works very well, and much better than the "stable" version, which by now is way obsolete). I have all existing librairies set to built-in, except those starting with "d3dx9", which are set to "native".

19. Impish

Impish

Well, then, proven wrong. But if he can export to flash, wouldn't it be easier for us linuxfags to run it natively with that?

20. I never said he shouldn't do that ;) . Indeed having both would give us more choice as to how to run the game, and also a backup plan if either Wine or Flash doesn't work well (ironically enough in the context of our discussion, Flash crashing on my system is rather common) .