don't click here

Vector In Sonic 1

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by E-122-Psi, Dec 24, 2010.

1. Banoon

Banoon

yes Member
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Yeth (hack)
    Yes please.

2. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Would appreciate it. However if you wait a little longer to record a vid you can get a fixed version with better controls and a lush title screen. :D

As did Blaze, sorta. Sally and Bunnie were going to be too at one point too.

Charmy is being looked into (he's turning out rather quick to program actually, I've almost got the main mechanics perfected now, the sprites are perhaps the only big obstacle now). Cream as well, I might also do Bunnie Rabbot at one point. The latter two are in the backburner for the moment however since I'll need to work on full spritesheets for them if I do. The reason I've been doing established characters at this point is so I have less sprites to work on.

3. Kiajinn

Kiajinn

is a Badnik Battery Member
    Sleeping Egg Zone
    16 Bit: Sleeping Egg Zone (Sonic Chaos)
    I seem to recall playing the Tikal one myself, I think it used a sprite sheet I had made under one of my many stupid alias' way back when...

Ah here they are.
    http://dioxaz.free.fr/sprites/persosaga/tikal_s3k.png
    And yes I own [email protected] >_> as embarrassed as I am to admit it, website is long gone mind you.

-Kia

4. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

5. MathUser

MathUser

3rd top wiki contributor Researcher
    Awesome. not being able to dash diagnolly was making the game harder in some parts than it should have been.

6. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    I felt the need to make a YouTube vid for once!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfkrecLIb-s

It was lots of fun having the new abilities and the character's design in-game. What's your next Sonic 1 character victim? =P

7. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Nicely done, E-122-Psi! Haven't gone through all of it yet, but had a mess around in some of the levels and seems damn good so far. There's some crazy shortcuts you can take in Star Light thanks to the diagonal air-dash - and some areas where you can fall into walls, one of which in Act 3 got me stuck and unable to proceed.

One question though - are there any plans in further revisions to let Vector climb, like Knuckles? I'm pretty sure he could do that in Chaotix. = )

8. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Thanx. :D

Well you can thank MarkeyJester for programming that.

Thanx for the endorsement. Is that on real hardware?

Well I've already put a teaser on the thread of the next project. Cream and Bunnie may also get the treatment as well in the long run.

Thanx. :D

Yeah, I do intend to implement his climb move when I have the programming skills to do so, of course that means you might be waiting a while for it.

9. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    That title screen animation floored me. I don't think I'm ever going to touch vanilla Sonic 1 again. What is your policy regarding big sloppy gay kisses?

10. FeliciaVal

FeliciaVal

Spain
    that's awesome! thanks for this, Psi, you're always my ultimate inspiration :) makes me wanna work harder ^^

11. Overbound

Overbound

Iowa
    Sonic Time Twisted Creator
    Great hack you've got here, congratulations on your accomplishment. The air dash works well and helps make Sonic 1 a little faster. I only played through Green Hill Zone and Star Light zone though. I played it on my android phone and while it ran really well using a phone keyboard is a little challenging when playing any Sonic game.

12. Mercury

Mercury

His Name Is Sonic Tech Member
    Location Location
    AeStHete
    This is hella cool. I love the Chaotix team, so it's great to see 'em get some love.

The title screen and ending are fantastic, as usual. :)

13. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

I don't know how I inspire that sort of work ethic onto you. lol

.........They're cool...but the guy next to you wants one more.

Thanx. Well they'll get some more love a bit later. :D

Thanx for that bugfix by the way, you gave that at just the right time. :D

14. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    No dice? What about discreet man pecks?

Also if you did Rotor one of these days I would simply expire.

15. Mercury

Mercury

His Name Is Sonic Tech Member
    Location Location
    AeStHete
    'Welcome!

Rotor would need smooth, Ristar-like swimming physics in LZ, though. He may waddle on land, but he's torpedo when submerged!

16. Another awesome job, Really wish I could play this on the actual hardware. Anyway even when the dash mechanic looks very simple it does help a lot when I try a speedrun. Allso with thisn particular character I finally beat Eggman on labyrith zone. Really looking up for your next projects. :)

17. I think this is fantastic. Is the sliding down a slope animation from Chaotix? I don't remember that.

18. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

....I'm just gonna leave the room....

Rotor may come up one day, I've still got a few other characters on the list first though.

It's funny, I actually found out how to edit the gravity in water and add more floaty mechanics and even managed to get the character to float to the tip of the water akin to Knuckles and Big in Advance and Adventure respectively, unfortunately I couldn't quite control how it worked at this point (and at some points the player gets stuck at the skim of the water and can't jump out).

Yes. Not sure if it's used for the waterfall though but it's used for being hit (both use the same animation in Sonic 1).

19. Kiajinn

Kiajinn

is a Badnik Battery Member
    Sleeping Egg Zone
    16 Bit: Sleeping Egg Zone (Sonic Chaos)
    I tried to play the new version on the Megadrive Emulator Genplus GX on the Wii it sadly crashes, in what looks like hardware failure.

'Address Error $001B'
    Edit, Second Error '$0001B8F6$FFFFFFEB'

Was all I could make out, Probably useless.

Something to look into at some point perhaps.

Keep up the good work!

20. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

I think that's the jumpdash flag, guess I better change it.