don't click here

In-game continuity errors?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TheLazenby, Jan 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    ....*walks off whistling merrily as he corrects Travelsverse Timeline for Mobius*

Now the question is where the hell is the moon that got shot?

2. Frozen Nitrogen

Frozen Nitrogen

Wouldn't the door have been easier? Wiki Sysop
    Presumably the answer is "It's still kicking about up there somewhere, we've just never seen a night sky that it happens to be in since SA2".

3. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

For the whole Blaze/Eggman Nega/Silver thing, I direct you to this;

http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?showuser=8937

As for the Charmy thing, I'm sure Knuckles Chaotix has been disregarded by Sonic Team, but who knows.

Sonic 2006 was a hotbed of continuity errors. That whole paradox emerald thing, which I think may be explainable, but just blows my mind every time. Thank god the game was retconned at the end, how ironic and suspicious.

4. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    You haven't read my lengthy analysis on the time travel aspects of Sonic '06, have you?

5. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

I just read that, and skimmed the below posts. Holy Fook, it does a really good job of explaining what happens, although I still can't get my head totally around it. Maybe colour coding words is the way to go! Seriously, brilliant effort. Now, read mine :v:

Just kidding, but seriously. Mindblown.

Actually, just thinking, here's something to get your head around;

Prof. Gerald was on board the Ark. There, he toyed with Emerl, created Shadow, was notified a week beforehand that GUN were coming to shut him down, but did nothing. Maria was killed, Gerald was put in Prison, and Shadow was sent to earth, captured, and put into hibernation within GUNs facility. Now, the Biolizard was a prototype experiment that went wrong. It was a huge messed up lizard that killed a load of soliders, and it was the reason GUN convinced themselves that the only thing to do would be to storm in there, kill those related to the project and shut it down. Now, Gerald went insane AFTER he was caught, after finding Maria's name on those who died when the Ark was shut down. He wanted revenge. in his memoirs, he mentions that he was able to complete his project afterwards- Shadow. He "designed it's mind to be perfect- pure. will leave everything to him. If you wish, unleashed and awaken it to the world".

Still with me?Okay.

Who the hell was he talking about? Considering he was in prison, the Biolizard was on the Ark, and Shadow was in hibernation. Now, before you give an answer, it's interesting to note that the Biolizard has obviously been upgraded and finalized since it's captivity. It was programmed to attach itself to the Ark and destroy the world, as you all saw in the cutscene. So the obvious answer may be that he worked further on the Biolizard, which is what we're kinda lead to believe.

Now remember that Gerald was in prison, and we've come to this conclusion by looking at his diary notes and entries, and by the fact that he said "I found Maria's name on the list of those who died when the Ark was shut down". Surely, if he WAS on the Ark to complete the Biolizard and turn it into an arsehole, then he'd have knwon of Maria's death, considering they all lived aboard the space station together.

The one ting we haven't been given conclusive evidence on though, it when Gerald was imprisoned. We're led to believe it was right away. But was it? Does anyone actually know?

This is a mindfuck.

Also, Black Doom was nowhere in this. The message that he left to Shadow with Maria asking him to defend the earth. Had he forgotton about this? Or did Yuji Naka bite off more than he could chew when he pushed Big Island over the edge with his fancy plot direction?

6. Frozen Nitrogen

Frozen Nitrogen

The whole clusterfuck with Gerald and Shadow post-ARK-invasion becomes much more palletable if you keep at the forefront of your mind the whole time that the Prof was, by his own admission, STARK RAVING INSANE after Maria died.
    Hell, we know his diaries aren't to be trusted as the entries in Sonic Battle directly contradict those in Adventure 2. So you can quite happily take anything he says in any of them with a very large pinch of salt.

My general theory is that after Gerald was in custody, GUN still allowed him to work on Shadow and the Ark's systems - the simple reason being that no-one else in the entire sodding world understood them, or at least not with enough confidence. GUN may well have known that the Prof was a) insane, and b) insane specificly in the sense of being obsessed with vengeance against them, GUN.
    But the fact is, when you're trying to imprison a magical teleporting hedgehog, and you've got a battle-scarred supersatellite hanging above your head which may well go into orbital decay if you don't have someone good look at its systems... you'll take whatever help you can get. Even if you have to coerce it out of a crazy, psychotic polymath with a ridiculous moustache who hates your guts.

They'd have had their own scientists check Gerald's work in order to TRY and make sure he's not secretly implanting dreams of androcide into Shadow or hiding a colony-drop algorithm inside some Eclipse Cannon code... but you have to get up pretty early in the morning to stop a member of the Robotnik family doing sneaky evil.

7. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

When you think of it that way, it does seem to make a lot more sense. I suppose it's when you look at it as if you have to follow what the game gives you- nothing more, nothing less- that it doesn't tend to all add up correctly. You've shown a good way of breaking it up like that. I suppose Geralds anger and insanity is meant to overshadow any sort of choronological process, and actually, perhaps it was left ambiguous to strengthen the feeling of complexity which is brought buy the whole situation.

Also, on the whole moon thing, it's just fooked. I hate to be a theory-buster :v: Amy clearly says, "Look! half of the moon is GONE!?" 'The' being the highlighted word of that sentence, which suggests that there is only one moon, unless they have nicknames for the others, like Gregory, or Jim. Yeah, I like that.

8. TheInvisibleSun

TheInvisibleSun

OVER THE TOP TECHNO-BLAST Member
    Buffalo, NY, USA
    The Water
    [​IMG]

The other side of the ark looks moon-like. So, there is only one actual moon, with other orbiting objects that are just moon like, like the aformentioned Little Planet. Therefore the second moon in the Sonic Rider's pic is possibly just the other side of the ark.

9. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

Actually, the Ark is more rocky and has more craters. I'm sure it's also smaller, as Shadow is able to clearly view himself on the Ark from afar in a cutscene in Shadow The Hedgehog.

I just think there's more than one planet/moon close to the Earth in Sonic's world, which aren't really referred to, but are just viewable at odd times, like when we get those really rare events where certain stars or planets may be viewable for a minute or so every hundred/thousand years. Also, there are things like The Little Planet, which just randomly turn up now and then.

10. Frozen Nitrogen

Frozen Nitrogen

You sneaky fucker. That's a rather clever refutation; fair play.

The size of the Ark varies WILDLY between portrayals. It's smallest in that Black-Doom-induced CG vision in Shadow the Hedgehog... but then in SA2's final Rush (or, indeed, any of the outside ShtH levels), it's fucking XBOX HUEG. So who knows what the reality is??

11. TheKazeblade

TheKazeblade

"Our Life is More than a Side-Effect" Member
    This is very similar to the backstory given in the Archie comics. Gerald was working on the ark/ reprogramming Shadow remotely, altering the programming of the Eclipse Cannon from the G.U.N. facility. But eventually his research was going past the knowledge G.U.N's researchers had. To keep him from being too sneaky, they executed him.
    The Archie continuity is obviously not canon, but I can see it being the case, as there really isn't very much in the way of alternate explainations.

12. Frozen Nitrogen

Frozen Nitrogen

I haven't watched beyond the first half of Season 1, but I'm under the impression that Sonic X tells a vaguely similar story too.

13. FinalBeyond

FinalBeyond

We must also remember that GUN are idiots. Can't defeat an enemy with a single volley of gunfire? Shout "Oh no, our weapons are useless!" and run away, panicking. That's their idea of military strategy.

14. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Getting the motivation to continue old projects
    Maybe that was just a ploy to get off their shift earlier :specialed:

15. MarkoMan

MarkoMan

In memory of Dreds... Member
    Queens, NY
    Sonic 2 Turbo
    So in other words, we've been lied to about Sonic games taking place on Earth.

16. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    At least if you go by Sonic X. >.>

17. Frozen Nitrogen

Frozen Nitrogen

In fairness, they've started using the phrase "Sonic's world" in Colours, precisely to be as ambiguous as physically possible.

18. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    They should use Mobius, simply because the English-speaking Retroes have grown up with it.

Also, I'm gonna suggest either the Admins remove the Moon coversation to a 'Sonic's World and it's satelites discussion thread', since the conversation has gone way off the original conversation (In-game continuity errors, not where that pesky moon with a hole has buggered off to and how Sonic's World is evidentally not Earth)....Just a suggestion...

19. Frozen Nitrogen

Frozen Nitrogen

But our discourse evolved organicly!

In Sonic Rivals 1, when Nega card-ises the Master Emerald, the big green gem's time-transcendant properties make it get card-ised "in all time frames".
    If this is the case, how does Knuckles even know there's anything wrong? The master would have been in card form since before he was born. Hell, since before Pachacamac was born. So the Floating Island would still be part of the Mystic Ruins landmass without Pachy's assault on the chao shrine!

20. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Yes, but even tree branches need to be cut when they've gone too far out.

On-topic: If we're gonna talk about in-game continuity issues, then I shall put forward the ultimate example:

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.