don't click here

Badniks & Bosses

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Canned Karma, Mar 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andeed

Andeed

Holy pug in a pizza box... Member
    Wales, UK
    Sonic 1 AS3 Engine
    I'm thinking that we're perhaps trying too hard to "re-do" the graphics when sometimes up-scaling them might just be enough... Personally, I think the blobs should look like shiny/glossy spheres like they appear in the original. I've had a go at reproducing them in line with the original sprites - although I'm not too happy with how it turned out (perhaps M. DM or T.O. could make a better version based on this idea?)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    This. With a bit of transparency, and make those dots bubbles. Yeah... I can see it now...

3. Andeed

Andeed

Wales, UK
    Sonic 1 AS3 Engine
    Yeah, my vector art skill's aren't exactly the best but it's more of a concept than an art submission. The dot's are supposed to be bubbles but they aren't as subtle on the left as in the mock-up on the right... A filter must have got out of place. Colours aren't quite right either. I'd like to see someone make a proper version with this sort of idea though to see what it would look like - I always though the blobs should look like spheres of jelly, maybe even a bit like Flubber (but coloured blue and with an extra liquid residue, covering all the blobs...

4. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    I tried a concept:
    [​IMG]

Dunno about light & dark bubbles, but that looks ok.

EDIT:
    BIG for concept purposes.
    [​IMG]

5. Andeed

Andeed

Wales, UK
    Sonic 1 AS3 Engine
    Yeah, that's the style I was after! (Last post by the way. Hopefully I'll be made into a member...)

6. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    These look good to me. The ones in the post above looked like balls of toothpaste, but these look good. Perhaps just a smidge more transparent.

7. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    More transparent:
    [​IMG]
    I dunno.

Or even more, if that wasn't enough.
    [​IMG]

8. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    Ehh...

Perhaps if the smaller bubbles inside were bouncing about? It'd be a nice little touch I think.

9. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    I think it'd be nice for some sort of animation, but they are on screen and moving for less than a second.

10. McGuirk

McGuirk

The Egg-Man Cometh. Member
    Fort Worth, Texas, USA
    Making a Full-Sized Egg Carrier in Minecraft.
    That's very sexy, Sonica.

Here's a mockup. The balls are a little big and not quite the same shape (insert blue balls joke here) compared to the original, but it's pretty close.

I would say that to maintain the closer to the original color, a little less transparency is in order. Or, perhaps leave the transparency alone, but make the image itself a much darker shade of blue?

NOTE: Since I'm slow, this mockup was made using the first image that Sonica posted, not the newer, more transparent ones.

[​IMG]

11. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    I agree about more opacity. And as for size, the first one I posted was the most opaque and at 4x.

12. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    Nice concept you've got going there Sonica. I'll agree with those who brought up the more transparency suggestion. The orbs need to have a substantial visual feel to them. My main nitpick right now is that the design looks too reminiscent of an air bubble underwater instead of a threatening gel blob. The shape probably doesn't need changing, but try adding darker color tones and we'll see what that does for it.

13. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    I like translucency, but I think it should be used to a minimum. When I picture dark blue chemicals coming out of Chemical Plant, I picture chemicals that are thick, and the thicker it is, the less translucency there is. Otherwise, they just look like harmless air bubbles with a thin chemical layer on the outside.

14. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    I agree. They should be a fair touch less translucent.

15. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    I had to re make it. I thought I saved the source...

Anyway, old-new:
    [​IMG]

Still too transparent?
    Less bubble, more gel... But I don't know how toothpaste-y I should go. I like the more bubbly idea, but I guess this is just a concept.

EDIT: Changed the banana highlight on the ball to less harsh.

16. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    I'm liking it. I think a touch more opacity might help, but I won't be able to tell till I see a mockup.

17. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    [​IMG]
    Just over half opacity MIN. It'll look bubbly until I either get rid of some shades or blur them.

18. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Perfection.

19. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    I'm glad someone thinks so. Though I can't show it because Inkscape has a rubbish pen tool, I think it'd be cool to have some sort of wobbly animation... I can't explain it better than that.

EDIT:
    This aught to get some replies:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Here is the little devil's clean version:
    [​IMG]

20. Boinciel

Boinciel

Having an even distribution of opacity like that makes them feel flat at any level. They could probably benefit from being more opaque in the middle than at the edges, as a sphere would be thicker through the middle. Of course, the outer edges would have to increase in opacity as well because otherwise they might look worse.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.