don't click here

SegaWorld Sonic Puppet Show info I found

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by SonikkuForever, Jan 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SonikkuForever

SonikkuForever

Be cool, be wild, and be groovy! Member
    Gathering information on Sega World Sydney and collecting Sonic merchandise.
    Okay, so lately I've become absolutely fascinated with SegaWorld Sydney, that old theme park that Sega had from 1997 to 2000. I started scouring the internet for any and all media and information pertaining to it. However, I noticed that there was one aspect of the park that was almost forgotten - the Sonic-themed live show. We had the soundtrack rip, but no matter how hard I searched, I couldn't find any pictures or video of it at all. In fact, the very few people that had actually seen it barely even remembered what it was like! I searched and I searched, until Google finally found the website of Phillip Einfeld's Puppetoons, the company that made the puppets and sets for the show. There were a few pictures of the Sonic, Tails, and Robotnik puppets there, but I wanted to know more. So, I sent Phillip Einfeld an email asking him about the show. Two days later, I got this in response:

Wow. That's a lot of never-before-seen info! Who would have guessed that there were two shows? Phillip was also kind enough to scan some old photos of the show and send them to me. Here's some of the best ones:

[​IMG]

It's Sonic the puppet-hog! I think he's kinda cute...

[​IMG]

Say hello, Tails! I think he's the best puppet in the show.

[​IMG]

Wow, Robotnik-puppet is huge!

[​IMG]

Everybody loves Sally! Although, she kind of reminds me of Tails Doll...

[​IMG]

The show relied heavily on lucky audience participants like these. That poor kid with the guitar looks pretty confused.

And finally, my favorite picture of the lot, the Magic Mountains! These are animatronics that pop out of the mountains every now and then to do announcements. I LOL at
    Tails' expression. And look at cute little peek-a-boo Sonic. He's just snooping as usual like some kind of Sega spy-robot.

[​IMG]

That's all for now, folks! But there are song lyrics, concept art, and even more pictures in this zip file, which contains everything show-related that Einfeld sent me. A huge thank you to Philip Einfeld! Without his generosity, this show would have been forgotten.

2. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    This is just too charming. Everything looks fantastic. Even the typically off-model puppets are endearing! I'm glad someone cared enough to dig this shit up.

3. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    That last picture of Tails is gold. Seriously.

4. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    [​IMG]

5. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    Tails is all like "I am taller then you, bitch"

6. SomeSortOfRobot

SomeSortOfRobot

Mid-Southern US
    http://legendoflucy.com
    Let's hope nobody gets their hands on that Sally puppet, or else it won't just be a hand that goes up her ass.

7. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Sonic Classic Hybrid Project
    That would be hilariously funny if it wasn't so tragically true.

8. Greg the Cat

Greg the Cat

I'm gonna draw it! Banned
    A Zone Unknown of Title
    Comics from the Mind of Yours Truly, A little workshop of animation, Sonic FreeRunner
    Why is Sally so inherently... terrifying? The head is ridiculously bad, but there's something else.... Oh shit. Her hands. She has human hands.

9. Maxd

Maxd

Alabama
    Mixin'
    For a second I thought I was looking a Dr. Seuss book. Holy crap, some of those things are ugly, but charmingly so.

10. RubyEclipse

RubyEclipse

Works at Squar Inix Member
    Awesome find. Have to agree though, that Sally doll is both terrifying and hilarious all at once.

11. Woah thats creepy, but awesome, I wish we had some sort of Sega park here in the States, I remember going to Sesame Place as a kid in PA and seeing shows like that, now if this was Sesame Retro I'd be king, but it's not so I'm nothing.

12. SonikkuForever

SonikkuForever

Be cool, be wild, and be groovy! Member
    Gathering information on Sega World Sydney and collecting Sonic merchandise.
    We do. GameWorks, or as I like to call it, "Mini SegaWorld".
    Granted, it's not as big or spectacular as SegaWorld, but it is owned by Sega, and between the lighting and the occasional Sonic-related thing here and there, it does have a SegaWorld vibe to it. There aren't really any "rides", but most of them do have some cool VR simulators. And there's more Sega arcade games than you can shake a stick at. Go on Thursday evening to play all the Sega games you want for $10! Going to an arcade without worrying about money is pure bliss.

13. I can't decide if these are genuinely awesome or "so bad it's good". I just wish I could go back in time and watch this live. I would probably get tossed out after laughing my ass off at at the Sally puppet.

14. Greg the Cat

Greg the Cat

I'm gonna draw it! Banned
    A Zone Unknown of Title
    Comics from the Mind of Yours Truly, A little workshop of animation, Sonic FreeRunner
    I just want to find out who's marvelous idea it was to give Sally human hands. That was uncalled for and/or was just made that way out of pure laziness.

15. SteelBrush

SteelBrush

603e Member
    the home of spotted dick, Devon
    Tramadol, Tamazepam and finding a reason to exist.
    I expect that someone has this show recorded on a VHS tape with their child taking part in the show, it would just be a case of tracking someone down who would be willing to give up the tape to the internets.

I can remember visiting Sega World in London and also I have vague memories of a large Sega arcade in Bournemouth.

16. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    That last picture with the magic mountains is internet gold. And I just bagged it.

Also, I like how Sally's eyes just say Rouge.

Too bad there's no Knuckles, because I know he would've looked just fucking hilarious.

17. I'm kind of curious if these puppets are just redressed human puppets and they got lazy with doing something with the hands for Sally.

18. SEGAMew

SEGAMew

The Obsessive One Member
    Cosmic Interstate
    Eddie Lebron's Sonic FanFilm Concept Art
    I say Knuckles on the cover of the Sonic in Sydney CD is false advertising!

And zomg Sally's monkey hands are scary.

19. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    There's one in Southampton as well actually (or there was, at least. It was looking pretty run down when I visited it, and that was in 2003. May well be gone entirely now)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.