don't click here

Badniks & Bosses

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Canned Karma, Mar 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I think they're little, blue, poisonous slime balls.
    Also happy holidays and merry Christmas everyone.

2. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    It always seemed to me like a liquid that was thick enough to retain a shape, almost like a paste or gelatin. spheres make sense, but maybe a wobbling animation in air could work well.

3. test-object

test-object

By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea Member
    lol, usure?
    Let's see, we could make them container-ish, dirtier, more organic... So many choices.
    And yeah, I'm counting it as a badnik for tidiness.
    Merry Christmas by the way.

[​IMG]

4. The one on the bottom is interesting but looks kinda off because the spheres don't overlap.

5. test-object

test-object

Soooo.... any other thoughts on this? :|

6. Matwek

Matwek

[​IMG]

7. test-object

test-object

You are both awesome and stupid for bringing up that movie.
    Goddamnit, Nicholas Cage, why must you turn every single movie awkward?

8. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Oh yeah, I totally forgot to comment on this. Was too distracted by everything else going on. Anyways, I think the stuff should just stay individual balls, so I guess I agree with what Matwek is saying.

9. Blue Emerald

Blue Emerald

Teleportation, yeah! Member
    TBD
    I'd say go with the spheres on the top left, but make it so the shine is more focused in the corner, instead of spread out like it is now -- right now it looks more plastic than liquid.

10. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    Regarding those chemical balls, they should be consistent with the look of the chemical in the pipes and the stuff Robotnik drops considering it's the same stuff. It's a bit difficult to say what's best at the moment until those other factors are done or being worked on. It could be worth basing them off the concept works of MaximusDM and Hamneggs to avoid clashing art.

11. test-object

test-object

In other words, just make them jelly-ish fluid?

12. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    I like the bottom one, but maintaining more of the ball shape (less squashy).

13. Hamneggs

Hamneggs

Official Breakfast of S2HD Member
    TEXAS
    Networked lighting
    I still don't get why they aren't fluid. Like seriously. CNZ isn't one of those kiddy marble-track sets, you know.

14. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD
    It's simply a style choice.

15. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    I always thought it was fluid. Portrayed in a way most poisonous.

16. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    It would be cool if they were spherical, but had a wobble effect, to look slightly jelly-ish.

17. Hamneggs

Hamneggs

Official Breakfast of S2HD Member
    TEXAS
    Networked lighting
    Now, since this is a pc game with the ability to have a limitless options menu, why not include the option to have the spherical Crest paste blobs, as well as a liquid? Heck, doing something like this could solve countless debates. (...Tree)

18. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD
    Or we could just figure out what works best and save menu space for other things.

19. I know I intially said the bottom one is interesting the more I think about it the more I'd like to see the top left one in game because it resembles what was in the original game, I realise we're not trying to go totally with the original but if we skew off too much it might just end up being a bit boring, no offense to the artists here your all great at what you do but the reason we're here making a remake just under 20 years after original release is that people not only liked the look and feel but also the gameplay of the original

20. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

Personally, I'd go for the top right one, then maybe make it look a little more like the top left one, but with some tiny effects coming off it. Subtle, but obviously you're making Sonic 2 look HD, adding flare and shine effects and such, and whilst I agree that going too far away from the source material isn't the way to go, you can still mix it up a bit, so the player will think "Oh, that's awesome, it's the same thing, but with a nice little touch". That's basically what Sonic 2 HD is about, isn't it? Touching up a perfect 18 year old game, as perverted as that sounds.

Just to add, that I've been lurking here a while, and I think that the way you guys discuss these things, and the ideas you come up with are awesome. Just waiting to see a product of this now, good job everyone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.