don't click here

PIER SOLAR: NOW SHIPPING

Discussion in 'General Sega Discussion' started by Mad Echidna, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    I know people who've bought one and HAVE seen the email that Mad posted, so check your email again. Might be on an address you've long since disused, it's been that long =P

About time they finally released it though! May the next game be something a bit simpler than an RPG =P

2. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    When will this be dumped?

Not only do I not have any money, but it's fucking hell to set a Genesis up these days...

Also Mad, why did you get a SEGA-CD? is this that game I heard about that comes with a CD for the S-CD so you can habe CD quality music while playing the game?

3. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Yeah, it supports the Mega CD.

Also don't bother with dumps. Between the mapper and the copy protection hardware, this game is unemulatable.

4. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    I demand video footage then.

5. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    I'm not a technically-minded person when it comes to console gaming, but let's be honest, since when has that ever stopped people? Somebody'll eventually figure it out and get it emulated, presumably.

6. amphobius

amphobius

doing more important things with my life Member
    life
    Aaaaand there goes all the interest I had in this game. Thanks, Sik!

7. Yuzu

Yuzu

Nice to know it even stops people with legitimate reasons for playing it on an emulator. Screw the PSP and DS, let's all play it on NOMADS.

8. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
    Again, you'd have to reimplement the banking mechanisms. This is the first game to use that particular mechanism, so there's not really much of a market for adding support for it; besides, it's not like you can't just make your own banking mechanism... Also not every part of the ROM can be freely licensable — TMSE, for instance (the discussion on that already happened in the Project MD thread). Please show some understanding...

9. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    Besides the fact this is the homebrew community we're talking about, so nobody will attempt to emulate it out of fear of being murdered by all of the Sega-16 members. See what's going on with the resellers, imagine what'd happen with pirated copies...

Also it has a custom mapper AND separate copy protection hardware from what I know. Actually, does it even run on a model 3?

10. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    I know nothing about this, but I *guess* that at least the dev team was able to emulate it, maybe on modified emulators, otherwise the development process was likely to be painful :|

11. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
    In this case, and forgive me for going a bit off topic, let's say my homebrew games not only lack copy protection (my plan) but I also encourage ROM dumping and am either passive about or encourage piracy — or even make a ROM dump available while requiring payment for a full cart. Then what?

And I'm pretty sure there are people (like me) who don't care about the Sega-16 community's response because it won't affect those people at all... but do they exist?

12. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    Github
    Deliberately making a game that doesn't work on emulators is petty. How are we supposed to take screenshots for the wiki?

13. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    You know, I wouldn't be surprised if they were testing using a custom flashcart...

Andlabs: I was gonna go with free download and paid cartridges for Project MD, if you wanted to know.

14. TmEE

TmEE

Master of OPL3-SA2/3 Tech Member
    Estonia, Rapla City
    T-04YBSC-A !
    http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/4/21/187...MCD232XPS64.JPG

Regarding no ROM release etc. you need to sell your carts... otherwise you end up with a massive loss.... production is not cheap, and you're likely to fly to hcina or whereever you get the carts manufactured for inspections etc. as chinese are cheaky bastards who mess things up all the time. I am also quite sure no publisher (Super Fighter Team for example) will be happy with selling carts and havign a ROM floating around...

15. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    Doesn't copy protection at least double the price of the carts? It's custom hardware, after all... So that kind of counters it. As has been said, those who wanted just the ROM aren't going to buy it anyways so they aren't lost sales.

And good luck getting a publisher release a MD game for starters. They only go for current platforms.

16. TmEE

TmEE

Master of OPL3-SA2/3 Tech Member
    Estonia, Rapla City
    T-04YBSC-A !
    banking and copy protection stuff adds few USD to the price of the cart, nowhere near doubling... most expensive parts are the shells, boxes, manuals and prints. Chips and PCB are about quarter of the cost of the cart, and ROM can always be passed on thus its a lost sale.

17. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    Giving away a ROM isn't a lost sale if the person wouldn't have bought the game in the first place. I'd only consider it to be a lost sale if the person would have bought the cart. And please don't say less people would buy the game, most of them bought it because they wanted a physical copy.

18. Harmony Friends

Harmony Friends

it's the whole gang Oldbie
    I wouldn't say that. I'd imagine a lot of people bought it because of the "Holy shit some guys made a complete Sega Genesis RPG that just was finished. In 2010. Oh shit." type reaction. I can guarantee a lot of sales were from "oh well I have to buy it". In the modern age of piracy, "oh well I have to buy it" with a sufficiently appealing product will either generate sales or people hacking the shit out of it. Or both.

That latter part is why I think that there really isn't a thing to worry about on that latter front. Would be nice if they'd provide a rom with the purchase though.

19. Flygon

Flygon

Despite the fact that I managed to snag a physical copy, a downloadable ROM edition would be darling to have available.

20. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Fwiw, if I were remotely interested in it, I would have bought it.

Infact, I might buy it if I emulate it and decide I even like it. Would a gimped demo rom hurt?