don't click here

Music

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Canned Karma, Mar 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hamneggs

Hamneggs

Official Breakfast of S2HD Member
    TEXAS
    Networked lighting
    Go ahead and upload it. Can't hurt.

2. This might be the version where the right side is louder than the left, but here it is. Those who want an mp3 version should make such a request.

3. Yuzoboy

Yuzoboy

UK
    I think the soundtrack to Sonic 2 HD should be remastered versions of original tracks. By that I mean slight enhancements to the layers of sound that were produced by the Sega Megadrive soundchip. I think this way, the original feel of the game will be retained, which is vital for any remake.

@LordOFSquad - That is actually a good example of how the original melody and rhythm of the track is retained but the overall track is enhanced, I like it!

4. Hamneggs

Hamneggs

Official Breakfast of S2HD Member
    TEXAS
    Networked lighting
    Yuzoboy, aren't you somewhat of a VGMusic prodigy on youtube? I've heard your name before...

5. Blue Emerald

Blue Emerald

Teleportation, yeah! Member
    TBD
    @Hamneggs: I know for sure that he does all the Sonic/Michael Jackson mashups. Welcome to Retro, Yuzoboy! :)

Felt like checking on how the music remasteries were going today, and I found this:

This sounds just about perfect. Really captured the campy racing vibe that the original gave off. Also, I am in love with that lead synth! If there's one thing I'd change about it, however, it'd be the electric guitars in the background. They don't mesh too well with the rest of the theme, IMO. I'd say replace them with a bass guitar instead.

Also, must comment on the percussion voice in Tweaker's Hill Top remix. That sounds like the perfect remastered version of the drum sample in the original Sonic 2 tracks! I would love to hear that voice used more often in the other tracks. :thumbsup:

Finally, while I'm posting in here, I might as well throw an idea out there for all the composers. I've always thought the Mystic Cave track should have a '90s rap/hip-hop theme. The first eight notes of the intro even have an underground hip-hop vibe to them, and that includes the wailing siren sound in the first third of the track, not to mention that descending chime-like tune in the second part. Overall, it totally sounds like it was intended to be a rap theme.

6. Yuzoboy

Yuzoboy

UK
    Yes from Youtube, most likely you've heard the Sonic and MJ mashups I do :)
    Tried to join a long while back but for some reason couldnt get registered, but im glad to be finally on board now, thanks Blue Emerald!

That remaster of Sonic 2's Special Stage is awesome, really has the feel of an updated Sonic track.

7. Yuzoboy is on RETRO?! Dude, your Michael Jackson/Sonic Remixes are sick!

Great to see you here with us!

..Oh yeah, the topic. I am liking the remixes on the songs in the recent pages. They are definitely sounding like updated tracks.

8. Sonic Hachelle-Bee

Sonic Hachelle-Bee

Taking a Sand Shower Tech Member
    Lyon, France
    Sonic 2 Long Version
    I'm liking all the remixes of the levels soundtracks.

But... I feel like something is wrong with some of them. The first time I heard the songs a while back, they were "fantastic, but something that didn't match the originals and the main level theme". Play Sonic 2 with them instead of the original soundtrack, and you will eventually see what I mean.

Some songs are very well done, like HTZ.

But I'm not fond of MTZ: where are the sounds of steam? Does they deserve to be all replaced by a dull clap sound? This level breathes steam, is full of valves, molten, rusted metal, and steam engines everywhere. While playing the original game, you can easily imagine this steam engine sound repeated regularly, even if it doesn't really sound like one, I'm pretty sure this was on purpose.

The same applies for levels like MCZ: You are in an abandoned mine, in the dark, where huge tunnels and cavities can be found. The first thing that come to my mind while hearing the original level music, is wind roaming these tunnels, sounding like ghosts. I'm not quite sure the remixes catch this up.

HPZ remix is well done, if not for the lack of sound of water drops in the background. Have you ever visited a water grotto? This one has underground lakes, puddles surrounded by limestone, and waterfalls. Ear Tidal Tempest zone Present from Sonic CD Japan for a quick comparison.

9. HeartAttack

HeartAttack

is a smug hipster, brah! Member
    Cali
    Well wouldn't those fall under "sound effects" as opposed to actual game music? I can't be positive, but I'm pretty sure atmospheric sound effects like smoke and dripping water would be on tracks separate from the music.

10. Rail Road

Rail Road

I believe Sonic CD (JP) added a water drop sound effect into the TTZ music. I thought it added a nice touch.

11. Shakidna

Shakidna

Rehash Rampage Member
    You mean like this?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjzNVuQV0UA

12. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    How about if we could hear some of the music streaming, like on the Sonic 4 site? That'd be cool (Not saying we should try and be like Sonic 4 all over, hell no, but I am curious as to what it sounds like (assuming that it's be re-re-mastered like the art)).

13. Andeed

Andeed

Holy pug in a pizza box... Member
    Wales, UK
    Sonic 1 AS3 Engine
    You get more power in keeping the bg music and sfx separate for things like wind and water flowing etc., because you can control where and when they play in the level.

14. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

Dummeh, if this is you, I am a fucking major fan of your 'Dummy's Boss Music'. It is epic. I'm sure I'm also watching your Youtube channel.

On topic, I really like your rendition of Sonic 2's boss theme, however, as a listener, I'd like to just add that perhaps you could make some of the notes shorter and more powerful? That 'DADADA DADADA DA' at the beginning of the original music always hits me. It's like Robotnik has come and slapped your face in. It really kick starts the tune, which flows really nicely from there, which you captured very well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.