don't click here

Badniks & Bosses

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Canned Karma, Mar 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    Insert standard 'project is not dead' statement here. To those of you who stick with us and continue to post constructively, you have our sincere gratitude!

The staff looks at S2HD like a full time job. Hours and hours are being put into it on a daily basis. Just the time that LOst spends on a daily basis getting code in place is mind-boggling. And just to give you guys a 10,000 foot overview, the assets for EHZ are done, have been done, and now they're being coded into the engine. Most of the level art for HTZ is done, the badniks are finished with the exception of the Ghora's fireballs which scanline is working on. Menus and interfaces are being refined. Bugs are being found and debugged. Not all of serious game development is glamorous stuff. But the foundation has to be laid correctly for future progress to go smoothly.

And ICEknight? It wouldn't kill you to suggest an idea or two instead of just stirring people up. Seriously. That's why I've asked people for the very sort of ideas that are being discussed right now.

2. Hamneggs

Hamneggs

Official Breakfast of S2HD Member
    TEXAS
    Networked lighting
    Amen.
    Amen.
    Amen.
    And AMEN! (Although I do have to admit I might actually enjoy this kind of stuff.)

Also, I like the idea of the coconuts exploding and releasing shrapnel.
    But another question I have:
    The water-arch-hazard-thing in CPZ, is that still going to be a sequence of blue balls, or is it actually going to be liquid? OR at least some glowing orb droplets?

3. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    We'll probably keep that just a series of balls. We're keeping other things like that such as the... Whatever the fuck nessie: lava edition is called, I forget. I don't think there will be much reason to change it. That and I really have no idea what we're going to do with Chemical Plant yet.

4. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    Thanks for the update. Just goes to show that assumption is the mother of all fuck ups.

5. zemulii

zemulii

Personally I'm just hanging around waiting until I might be able to help somehow. If anything comes up that really suits me I'll get right into it. I do hope the alpha gets people talking again (well it's bound to at least for awhile). But for now I'm happy to just check up every now and then like everyone else. It's something to look forward to!

6. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I just think it would be better to actually keep submitting tangible stuff rather than posting ideas for the hypothetical "hard mode" that will be made once the game's finished. That is all.

7. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

Ideally yes; I'd love to see more visual concepts posted over in the ideas thread. But since not everyone is an artist, ideas are more than welcome.

8. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    What kind of ideas are you looking for, exactly (perhaps be more specific than "anything", if possible)?

9. Hamneggs

Hamneggs

TEXAS
    Networked lighting
    Some CPZ mockups perhaps? Maybe we should go back to CNZ or NGHZ. (Sorry, forgot the real name momentarily)

10. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

Growler, we'll be moving onto CPZ/DEZ next, so ideas and preferably concepts focused around those two zones will be the most helpful.

This discussion should be moved to the concept workbench thread. The actual sprite work will be taken care of by CN, so this thread's main purpose now will be suggesting ideas to make the bosses more challenging in the event we implement a hard mode. This is understandably a long distance away, so for those looking to contribute in the near future please direct your ideas to the other thread.

11. Endgame

Endgame

For an idea to make CPZ boss harder, perhaps extend the amount of liquid that comes out of Eggman/Robotnik's vehicle?

Secondly, perhaps Robotnik could put some sort of 'Sonic-proof barrier' up while he fills his machine with its hedgehog-killing liquid?

12. I vote just put him up higher instead of the barrier.

13. Endgame

Endgame

An alternative to a 'barrier' is that he somehow electrifies his vehicle while he's filling up (or leave that for another boss fight?)

14. I think it's a good idea and we should definitely keep it in mind, even if not for Chemical Plant.
    Oh my gosh, imagine how hard Mecha Sonic would be if he was electrified while sliding. :v:

15. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Not very :colbert:

16. Hamneggs

Hamneggs

TEXAS
    Networked lighting
    So what badniks should be worked on next, guys?

17. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Anything from Chemical Plant will be highest on the priority list of things to do.

18. test-object

test-object

By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea Member
    Allright then: This blue-orbed fucker right here.

[​IMG]

Let's fix him.

Do we make him more fluid or (when he moves in an arc) more mechanic?

19. MaximusDM

MaximusDM

Sonic 2HD - Concept Artist Member
    Is that even a badnik? Can it even be killed invincibility power-up or otherwise?
    Because if there is no furry friend living inside it, there is no reason to preserve it as a "character" by leaving it with character-like features.
    (I.e. it should be completely redesigned as the liquid that it is) And make it look like a fluid instead of balls.

20. I think it is supposed to be composed of spheres, think about the one near the end of the 1st act it jumps from one point in the floor to another a liquid wouldn't do that without going all over the place.

EDIT: I don't think it can be killed, but perhaps we should make it killable if the player is invincible

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.