don't click here

How would you redesign Sonic the Hedgehog?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by The Pulse, Jan 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TailsAddict

TailsAddict

BANNED Oldbie
    [​IMG]

2. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    Hey look, it's a Na'vi with an iPod. Also: really dumb teen angst. I get the idea that it was drawn by someone with self diagnosed asperger's syndrome.

3. Shade Vortex

Shade Vortex

The Black Vortex Member
    USA, WA.
    Twitch Streams
    Yeah, this isn't what I had in mind. I didn't say "change everything about him" The attitude is completely against what Sonic is like- this is more like what Shadow would be like than Sonic. And what's up with the music player and earbuds? I'd rather have him wear the whole costume of Michael Jackson, Sonic-ified like his shoes.

And while I would prefer quills to spikes that make him look weird, I had FFVII: Advent Children hair in mind for how it would look... not typical anime hair. inb4 "what's the difference?" Well, think Sonic's normal hairstyle, but done like the 06 Concept model. I actually LIKE THAT better than the finished model in the game. The only thing I think was wrong with it is the whole bit about his BARE SKIN ON HIS CHEST HAVING FUR ON IT. what the fuck.

I know, many people think that individual quills on Sonic's hair, even if it kept his traditional hairstyle would look shitty, but this is my own preference. As for what kind of outfit Sonic should wear... well, I think it should fit his CURRENT attitude first and foremost.

And his proportions should stay the way they are, big head and all. Only I'd honestly separate his eyes (I find it odd how he has two pupils and irises in one combined eye, like a deformed mutant) and keep the centered mouth. I think I'm one of the few who thinks side-mouths only work in 2D art and should not be on a 3D model.

I know, my preferences on Sonic's design would make many rage, but do try to respect that this is my opinion and I'm not forcing it on anyone.

4. Volpino

Volpino

Things are looking up! Member
    A secret. >:3
    Which is why people like it and why it's popular.

Sickeningly popular to the point where it must be put into everything. I like my serious business anime stuff, but it doesn't need to be every drop of my existence...

It's a nice picture though, as a fan interpretation. There are worse out there, at least this artist can actually draw.

5. Mercury

Mercury

His Name Is Sonic Tech Member
    Location Location
    AeStHete
    This artist isn't going in a bad direction, especially if it's just for lulz. This design would be a poor choice for a game, though, because certain aspects wouldn't "read" in a sprite - tiny eyes, too much hair all over.

Call me weird, but I kind of like it (except the expression, which doesn't seem Sonicky enough). It's not too far off from some of my own early ideas of what I'd like a Sonic redesign to be.

And I agree with Shade Vortex - first order of business is to put some clothes on those guys!

6. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    That looks like the result of Ninja Theory buying Sonic and trying to re-imagine it.

7. DimensionWarped

DimensionWarped

Erinaceous! Oldbie
    I don't know so much about how I'd redesign Sonic, but I'd definitely redesign Shadow to look and act more like 1980's David Bowie from the movie Labyrinth. He could be voiced over by Jemaine Clement.

Oh, come on, it's less faggy than this hideous emo sweatpants Sonic picture you all keep referencing.

8. Jay T.

Jay T.

It takes an idiot to do cool things... Member
    Geez, I expected a bit of backlash about the picture, but goddamn! XD

But, no offense, but I gotta wonder, if he made Sonic that dark, imagine how dark Shadow would be to him. x_x

And from what I've seen, "dark" appears to be a style for him. That's not a bad thing really, since I think his artwork is cool, but...yeah.

9. Volpino

Volpino

Things are looking up! Member
    A secret. >:3
    How about something lighter?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I bet nobody's done this before. :v:

10. Clutch

Clutch

It was a dark and stormy night... Member
    Shame Sonic never puts them over his eyes then.

11. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    Flicky Turncoat DX, T.L.W.S. Vs M.G.W.
  12. Okay, Shade Vortex's post got me thinking, why does Sonic have a bare chest? I don't think I've ever really pondered it, but always assumed he had fur, just not fluffy long fur like Tails or even Shadow. I've just never seen a hedgehog with a hairless chest or stomach before.

13. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

The bare skin is something that only applies to Sonic and Amy (Rouge and Vector excluded cause they're differently shaped), and they're also the only cyclopses. It's weird that not even the other hedgehogs look like this.

14. All the hedgehogs are cyclopes, as is Mighty.

15. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

I could have sworn that Shadow and Silver weren't, but eh. The bare-arms thing still applies, and the closest you'll get is Espio who has a heart-shaped patch of skin on his torso. Mighty is kind of out there cause he's not been seen since 1995.

16. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    Yeah, that's the only real issue with the goggles. They were there, but they never wore them. Sonic actually wearing them would look good.

I seem to remember some character actually putting them over their eyes though, but I cant remember who.

17. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Jet and Storm.

18. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    I'm pretty sure that he's supposed to have short fur on those parts, based on a Google image search, actual hedgehogs don't have a bald spot on their stomach area.

Sonic is actually meant to have two eyes with no visible division between them. It's pretty tricky to pull it off looking right. I kinda feel like dividing his eyes screws with the proportions of his face, like there isn't enough room for a bridge of a nose to make it all the way down and back up again.

I'm not one for putting clothes on Sonic because a lot of the appeal of his newer design for me lies in how the contours of his body remind me of those seen on fast cars, such as F1 cars, particularly classic ones, and a lot of the appeal of his classic design is thanks to his simplicity.

They're not big enough to cover his eyes. Perhaps he could wear ski goggle style goggles. And I believe Wave wore her Sunglasses looking things as well.

19. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    [​IMG]
    I fucking win

20. Mr. Mash

Mr. Mash

All fanbases are awful Member
    drawing
    Excuse my shitty quick recolour of the old artwork, but I like the angry looking sonic from Sonic 1's concept art.
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.