don't click here

I visited Sega yesterday.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Sammybeany, Nov 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    You're right, but I don't think the real point of the session was to get feedback. As I said, they're getting plenty of it from a variety of sources. The real point of the event was to be a nice gesture to the community to show that they're paying attention. I don't think it was ever meant to be the in-depth discussion some people wanted it to be.

2. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    Before you guys get any further into the argument, let me clarify some things.

We did manage to get a lot discussed in the short time we had. The main points we talked about were physics, level design, and originality - with some other issues mentioned like music, consistency and art style. Also, I'm sure for Ruby and Ken this was a much more refreshing way to receive feedback compared to reading through message boards and having to filter through all the nonsense.

3. Slingerland

Slingerland

Oldbie
    Hechoeg Frat
    Sonic Mania
    If you guys weren't actually there, then stop assuming what it was and shut up. You weren't there. Quit giving Sammybeany a hard time, too. Ken and Aaron appreciated his passion and the amount of feedback he threw out there. Those guys at SOA have great attitudes and are just likeable people in general. They understand how important these games are to some people.

It was nice to be in a public forum like that, because you could see and hear how a person reacted, instead of reading text and saying "HE DOESN'T LIKE IT HE MUST BE RAGING." Seriously, knock that shit off. It was what I expected it to be and I enjoyed being there. It was mostly Sammybeany, Moonshadow and I doing most of the talking. Ken/Aaron would ask a question and I'd let it sit in silence for a bit. If nobody said anything, we said something and kickstarted that discussion.

I'm chillin' at the Holiday Iiiiiiiin and writing up all my stuff right now. I'll post it when I land and have a not-shit Internet connection. I'll also have a video when I'm able to dump the 2.5 hours of footage and edit it down to around 7-10 minutes.

4. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    Kick ass, just what I wanted to hear.

Do you think you could find a way to get that 2.5 hours of footage to us somehow? You know, for archival reasons...

5. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Be who you needed when you were younger Administrator
    Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
    You put a bunch of nerds in a room and none of them would talk except for us? Color me shocked, mister.

At any point, in a way, I'm kind of glad that that was the result, because the whole goddamn Internet seems more interested in regurgitating five points made by someone or looking for others to justify their feelings on a game like a bunch of pedantic sheep and it really disgusts me; no matter WHAT your opinions are on the game, at least formulate them by yourself.

The whole thing sounds about as futile an exercise as I imagined, though.

6. Urban Flow

Urban Flow

Music/Rap Junkie
    Queens, New York
    Emcee/Producer
    That would be great.

7. Slingerland

Slingerland

Oldbie
    Hechoeg Frat
    Sonic Mania
    The 2.5 hours of footage is of the whole community event and the highlights are really all you need to see. I was rolling for about 20 of the 30 minutes of the Sonic 4 feedback session. I like to gesticulate a lot when I speak, so sometimes I killed the camera for when I opted to talk for a few minutes, so it's not all there. I got most of it though. Enough of it for you to get a feel of what it was, who was in there and how people were presenting their points.

On a side note, it was like reverse high-school in there. I was wearing my Blues jacket and everybody else was playing anime games on their PSPs. I'm glad Moonshadow was there (as Ben Kalough) to be a familiar face and talk to for most of the show. I did end up introducing myself and speaking to guys for the camera and most of guys there were cool, despite our taste in games (like seriously I don't give a fuck about PSO or Valkyria Chronicles, let alone PSPs).

Sammybeany and Moonshadow are officially the first community people I've met IRL and it felt like I've known them for years. It was cool to experience that, first and foremost.

8. Steven M

Steven M

That's great and all but I want to hear more about your allegedly getting shitfaced with Ken, that sounded like a barrel of laughs

9. Seriously. Damned if I do, damned if I don't? If I do play it and buy it, suddenly Green Gibbon's criticism of "WHY DO YOU WASTE YOUR TIME AND MONEY ON THIS SHIT??" is valid. If I don't play it, I apparently have no way of drawing any conclusions about the game. Having an intimate knowledge of the original games from years of play, watching exhaustive demonstrations on YouTube of the faults with the new physics, looking over other play-through videos and seeing tons of screenshots and reading thorough reviews and hearing first hand testimonials from close friends? All meaningless, and completely unable to give me enough perspective to form an opinion on the title.

Anyway, yeah. Whatever. You can assume whatever you'd like about the meeting. I'm not too bothered by it, and I'm basically satisfied with what I got to say and how I said it. To clarify, I'm not bothered by the fact that they focused so much on other games. I thought that aspect was actually really cool, and I loved how everyone in the room seemed so excited to play these games with total strangers. I'm only upset because the Sonic 4 feedback session was given so little focus, by comparison. If you don't think half an hour is a downright pitiful amount of time to allot to something like this, then I don't really know what to tell you.

Also, totally sorry about that, Moonshadow. Were you the guy hanging out with Slingerland, or were you the guy in the pinstripe shirt and tie? Just to be clear, there were a few other people who spoke up, and the "90%" figure was probably a slight exaggeration. I was just trying to convey the point that there were relatively few people in the room who were riled up and confident enough to get this stuff out in the open.

10. Slingerland

Slingerland

Oldbie
    Hechoeg Frat
    Sonic Mania
    Contrary to what you have heard, I did not go out with any of the SOA dudes for drinks. It's on the table in the future, though. Most definitely.

However, Ken did give me a ride back to my hotel, because I was lost as all get out and the free shuttle back had stopped its service. We continued some post-event chatter in the car and then he had to go back and close up shop. That was all around midnight, too.

11. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    Heh, I was actually more interested in seeing the whole community event rather than just the Sonic 4 one. :P

It's not every day a nonemployee takes a camera into Sega HQ and gets over an hour of footage.

btw, how was the food there?

12. Skyler

Skyler

Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    I was the guy with Slingerland. Nice bike, by the way. :v:

13. I was impressed! I personally expected them to do something kind of irritating, like offer shitty greasy pizza and banquet chicken, but they had a variety of delicious sandwiches and some insanely big cookies for dessert. Not the most extravagant meal, of course, but it also wasn't insultingly cheap or bland.

Seriously, though. Those cookies were enormous. Slingerland spent a good five minutes commenting on how ridiculously oversized they were, and all I could really do was nod in agreement.

14. Mr. Mash

Mr. Mash

All fanbases are awful Member
    drawing
    Did it seem like they actually were going to take some of the comments and use them at all? Or did it seem like the whole thing was just to appear like they care about the fans?

15. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    I've seen people put strong effort into into getting their points across without being disrespectful. I never said his points were invalidated by him being a "whiny twat". I just said that it's a disrespectful way of getting your message across.

16. The cynic in me automatically assumes the latter, obviously. But, realistically . . . I still think that's the case. They weren't taking down notes or anything. Maybe they were recording the session and I just didn't realize it, but, I don't know.

The way they rushed through it is the main indicator, to me, that they didn't actually care.

17. Skyler

Skyler

Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    They were marking down the points on a whiteboard, though.

18. Urban Flow

Urban Flow

Music/Rap Junkie
    Queens, New York
    Emcee/Producer
    Though Sonic 4 may not live to some of your expectations; I still have high hopes for Episode 2 and Sonic Anniversary (Sounds excellent from what I have read.) Can't wait for it.

19. Alphaman

Alphaman

Considering Sega's typical hierarchy, would it even matter if a western Sega division unanimously - not as in "some fans complained that..." but rather "almost everybody complained that... and we wholeheartedly share their sentiments" - complained about something? Not only is the game being developed by a different leg of the company (actually, it's being developed by Dimps, a different company altogteher) that may or may not care about this, but also: who knows how far Episode 2 has been developed as of now? I somewhat doubt they spend the half year Sonic 4 Ep1 was postponed just to add the little fixes they did.

But thanks for the story - I guess it was at least a pretty unique experience. I'm just kinda wondering what to make of it - if they were really interested in the fanbase's opinion, less than an hour seems like a total misschedule, and if they weren't, are they just trying to trick people into thinking "oh, but they listened! They will fix it in episode 2; so I will buy that one"?

EDIT: Professional focus group interviews are usually videotaped and analyzed later on, and they actually make an effort to hide the camera so people won't feel uncomfortable. Who knows.

20. FlashTHD

FlashTHD

Oldbie
    :colbert:
    You did at least defer to those who suffered through it for specifics, right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.