don't click here

Sonic Classic Heroes

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by flamewing, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Effexor

Effexor

JUSTICE Member
    Just a minor quip, but when Knuckles spin-dashes, the camera doesn't lag behind him like it normally should. And if the other two are spin-dashing, the camera spazzes kinda when those two go off.

This hack is still amazing, regardless. One little suggestion is maybe tewaking the AI so, for example, the order is Sonic - Tails - Knuckles, that Sonic jumps, the Tails jumps, then Knuckles jumps AFTER Tails, rather than WITH Tails. Maybe increase partner 1's reaction time somewhat so it comes between the player and what it normally is?

2. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    The constant triple jumping sound would make anybody with ears go insane, though.

3. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Saw your post, cursed at the fact I had no way to split it, decided to leave it where it was. Thanks for fixing that for me. =P

4. Crappy Blue

Crappy Blue

Knuckles' Chaotix is a perfect game with no flaws Member
    Another option is, of course, the DKC route. Just remove the other two characters' ability to make sound when not in the lead position.

5. Tribeam

Tribeam

I code Lua and Lua accessories Member

Actually, both of you are wrong, By using my palette editor(shown in the screenshot) you can see that all 3 character's colors are used on the second line, and a lot of colors are shared with each other such as one of Knuckles' shades are shared with the "zone #" text and one of Sonic's blue shades is shared with the static screen.

For Reference here is what each line represents:
    Line 0: Background + Save Slot Boarders
    Line 1: Characters + Random Stuff
    Line 2: Emeralds
    Line 3: Current Selected Level Preview Colors

Screen(I changed the colors to show what is where):
    [​IMG]

6. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Well, it turns out I was wrong. Thanks, Tribeam.

7. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    Retro would acheive God-like status, for having such amazing games coming from it's members if this happened.

8. I had a weird collision bug in Chemical Plant Act 2, I flew up as Tails and got caught in some sorta.. invisible box, behind a loop.

Any idea why that happened?

9. flamewing

flamewing

Emerald Hunter Tech Member
    France
    Sonic Classic Heroes; Sonic 2 Special Stage Editor; Sonic 3&K Heroes (on hold)
    Can you post a screenshot of the location? It may help tracking it down.

10. Super Egg

Super Egg

Master of MS Paint. Member
    Tomball, TEXAS
    Sonic 2 beta 3 hoax
    It could be possible that it was just Chemical Plant's Tiles. If you go fast enough in a loop the same thing happens to you.

11. Tichmall

Tichmall

J.League PK Party, a "penalty kick" minigame.
    There're several of those invisible collisions boxes in Hill Top Zone, mainly when you take a path at the top of the zone thanks to Tails. I even passed through a whole wall that made me skip a cavern. I'll try to locate this wall, but there're other parts with this problem.

I noticed that loops in general have that kind of problem about collisions. In CPZ, in HTZ...

Another bug is the palette of Sonic's face used on the slot machines in CNZ, a shade of blue is actually green on it.

Game is still enjoyable though. When I can't pass a loop, one of the other two characters can do it, just have to launch him with a spin dash and to take control of him when he passes the loop. So a really good work both for what you came up with, and for your current efforts to make the game perfect. :)

12. you mean like in Knuckles Chaotix? Why not use THAT code? Or are 32x and Genesis/MD codes different? [/noob]

13. Endri

Endri

Officer I don't have my drivers license with me. C Tech Member
    <!--quoteo(post=525976:date=Nov 3 2010, 11:37 PM:name=::CMG (UTOPIA)::)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (::CMG (UTOPIA):: @ Nov 3 2010, 11:37 PM) [​IMG]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    you mean like in Knuckles Chaotix? Why not use THAT code? Or are 32x and Genesis/MD codes different? [/noob]
    [/QUOTE]I belive in "not exactly as in Knuckles Chaotix," since the scalling and rotating effects are not present. :rolleyes:

14. Xenowhirl

Xenowhirl

Tech Member
    Sorry, I have to add to this: The palette I used didn't require removing a shade of gray, didn't require switching to Sonic 3 sprites (since it still has 4 shades of blue), didn't require making all the reds darker or pinker, and still gave Knuckles his pinkish-red color. And it fits all in 1 palette line except for the 1 shade of green, and since that's only 1 color, it's easy to find room for it in another palette line without noticeably changing how things look. So, just saying, it's not as impossible as everyone seems to think it is to reduce the palette-related side effects more than this.

[I'm sure more details are desired, but I already posted two pictures with the palette I'm talking about, and I don't want to fill up this thread with posts about it. If and when I have something I think is ready to show, I'll post it in another thread and explain it there.]

15. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    This hack is sick I love it!

Thought of putting details from SH in? like the time/ring/score fonts and the character circles?

16. flamewing

flamewing

France
    You are using two of the more grayish blues to double as shades of gray and of blue. You probably swapped them for the similar grays and put Knuckles' pinkish shades in their place, as they are the only palette entries that are 'safe' because of Super Sonic. And shunting off the green to another palette line means you may have edited Knuckles art so that the socks are in separate tiles which are shunted into a different palette line.

While I will look into doing something similar (back to sed for me), I will still keep the S3&K sprites because I prefer them to the S2 ones.

17. Fred

Fred

Taking a break Oldbie
    Portugal
    Sonic 3 Unlocked
    no

But in exchange the characters' gloves look too blue, and Sonic is too gray. I was actually impressed at how "okay" it looked when I first saw those two screenshots, but I still prefer this way of doing it.

18. dsrb

dsrb

So have it play only once, for Sonic. :P

I'll give this a go later; looks interesting!

19. Miles3298

Miles3298

20. flamewing

flamewing

France
    As it turns out, the root cause of this bug is the same as from the one that was causing Sonic and Knuckles to animate too fast while being carried. Both are fixed for good now. I am doing some palette corrections from switching from dark gray to black (particularly noticeable in Tails and in the Tornado) and will at least get Tails and Knuckles into Sky Chase before the next revision is released.

Edit:
    There is that downside, yeah. The flip side would be having Super Knuckles use some of his own colors, and maybe even Super Tails. Or maybe I can make the palette rotate between their respective super colors.