don't click here

SEGA de-listing Sonic games with bad scores

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, Oct 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TimmiT

TimmiT

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Member
    http://www.segabits.com/?p=4766
    So if you want a brand new copy of Sonic 06 for whatever reason, you're probably going to have a hard time finding one.

2. Andlabs

Andlabs

「いっきまーす」 Wiki Sysop
    Writing my own MD/Genesis sound driver :D
    Wait, so are they just pulling the games from store shelves or damnatio memoriae? "De-listed" implies the latter but the article says the former, so...

3. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Be who you needed when you were younger Administrator
    Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
    And this is a story...why?

It makes perfect business sense not to ship copies of games that aren't going to sell to stores. It really isn't that sinister. It's interesting that they're using metacritic as a way to do that instead of sales numbers, but I have a strong sense there's something of a correlation there either way.

4. Mainman

Mainman

Dancing to some sort of Apocalyptic Rave Member
    Scotland
    'Sonic the Comic' research & documentation
    "...All of them?"

(Non-unique, out-loud reaction upon seeing the thread title)

5. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    So is anything of value truly being lost here?

...Wait, they're not de-listing Sonic Unleashed are th—oh, fuck it, I already own the game, who the fuck cares.

6. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Not like any of them are all that hard to find online.

Hell, I'm still surprised Sonic 2006 and Black Knight are still on the shelves as both were just dire games.

7. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Be who you needed when you were younger Administrator
    Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
    Well, I don't know about anyone else's locales but I know around here both of those titles go sub-$20, which makes me think retailers wouldn't be restocking them as it is.

8. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    I see them on shelves new from time to time. It likely because they have a big ol' box of them in the back that they need to get rid of to recoup whatever losses they suffered on the game.

9. Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Where Fear and Cryptic Puzzles lie... Member
    I'd like to point out this isn't just for Sonic games, this is for every SEGA published game. I read an article on it earlier today and besides being pulled off shelves they also are going to pull the game's data pages down off of MetaCritic so the games aren't even in the data base thus you can't look up scores for them on the site (to my understanding on that last part). Just pointing those two things out, please continue.

10. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    Basically what's happening here is they realize they need a fresh start on the franchise to get everyone on the new boat and deleting as much info/availability on the old stuff as possible is a great way to reduce competition from their own over-saturated market.

11. Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Where Fear and Cryptic Puzzles lie... Member
  12. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    I see nothing wrong with this.

13. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    As a sonic fan, this doesn't bother me as long as they don't fuck with the story itself. most of those games were spin-off. side storys, and IT NEVER HAPPEND erased events.

As a collector of sonic games though, this infurates me because its going to be harder finding new copys of sonic games I don't have yet. and if there going by metacritic scores they might as well take off every game since Sonic adventure 1 for dreamcast off the shelves.

When are these changes supposed to take effect? I like to know how much time I got left before they start pulling games off the shelves.

14. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Good. I own the games I want to have and I have no interest in seeing the rest of the crap up on the shelves. Why have 4 Sonic games in a row in one section when only 1 of them is good? Cut out the crap, good idea IMO

15. Jay T.

Jay T.

It takes an idiot to do cool things... Member
    Crap, and I still haven't even tried Sonic and the Black Knight yet! Oh well. No biggie.
    (Yes, I know the game isn't good, but I want to play out of pure curiosity...)

16. That's actually a pretty good idea. I saw Sonic Unleashed in a 711 by my house for $15.

17. Ben Laserlove

Ben Laserlove

I could still go out and get the Rush titles because those are still consider good by many... I hope..

WHATEVER I thought those were great :<

18. Spatula

Spatula

too cool for old school Member
    Hey, SEGA is not responsible for Smash Bros Brawl. Nintendo can take the blame for that one, including Sonic's shitty moveset which doesn't resemble the games at all.

19. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    - Homing Attack
    - Spin Dash
    - Spring Jump
    - Spin Charge
    - Super Sonic

Which games were you playing?

20. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    This is actually good business practise, however, that doesn't mean the games can be pushed under the rug and ignored. Lessons still need to be learned with the Wii titles for example. Sonic and the Secret Rings was really poor in my book, and I suspect the Black Knight wasn't much better. The bad points need to be noted so that they're not repeated.

The other slight problem is that since Metacritic started, only Sonic Rush, Sonic Rush Adventure, Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing, Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games and the Mega Drive re-releases have had a >=75 score. The reccently released Sonic Adventure XBLA has a 47 at Metacritic, and it was only released last month. The PSN version has a 51.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.