don't click here

Psy's 30 Day Project

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by PsychoSk8r, Sep 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    I don't see why posting this in the Random Hack/Mini Project Thread instead of a new thread, since it is actually not a "Mini" Project. You are working on this for an entire month. =P

Anyway, really nice done. Shows that you can do cool stuff in just about a week. I especially like that RETROHACK Splash, though I need to ask: Did you do the art completely yourself?

2. PsychoSk8r

PsychoSk8r

PsychedelAnt | Tone Turner Oldbie
    Birmingham, UK
    30 Day Project: Revisited.A New Release!
    Yes, pixel by pixel. =P
    And this is a mini-project to me, big projects usually last longer than 30 days. =P

3. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Nevertheless, I agree this is worthy of a new topic... splitting the posts off. =P

EDIT: And done!

4. theocas

theocas

Tech Member
    Yay first view from me :P
    Anyways, I like where this is going! But what's the deal with the static monitors just restarting the level? That seems kinda weird to me. Maybe just give them a kind of restart graphic, like the reload symbol in many browsers?

5. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    How did you pull off the effects in the level select screen?

6. theocas

theocas

Tech Member
    I'm guessing he had new art and made a different animation script or something, one that repeats once one full line of squares went off-screen or something?

7. Cap.Z.

Cap.Z.

Probably replacing the Sonic / Tails / Miles Morph to a square anim

8. PsychoSk8r

PsychoSk8r

Birmingham, UK
    That was a pain. I had to basically create a new Uncompressed Art file, and use the Sonic/Miles animation routine, with completely re-wrote mappings. Quite difficult knowing nothing about the type of mappings, but figured it out in the end.

9. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    How come I've never seen what else you have done? Have I just over looked them or do you just do them for personal use?

10. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    I've been having so much fun doublejumping and jumpdash-bouncing across enemies. Kudos for giving me that experience :v:

11. PsychoSk8r

PsychoSk8r

Birmingham, UK
    [​IMG]
    Here's one thing from my old hack. =P

You're welcome, this is personally one of my favourite things about the extra moves. =P

12. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    Sweet! Though you haven't answered my question. It's just that I've noticed how fast you implement stuff and thought I would have at least seen a hack of yours about somewhere. I didn't even know you were an experienced hacker until a few days ago. Not only that but I want to try these other hacks that I've missed.

13. PsychoSk8r

PsychoSk8r

Birmingham, UK
    Well, I've never really worked on a major hack, so you've not missed anything. I wasn't really an experienced hacker until a few days. Something just clicked this time around, and I understood everything. It's always the small, easy to miss things that are throwing me off now. Which is what happened all day today, unfortunately =P

Day 10 is up, late today though. Been a very long day for hacking.
    Code (Text):
    1. - Rewritten (Again!) how some pallets are loaded
    2. - Edited the Signpost object. It now only responds if you walk past it, not by jumping over it, and forces you to the right straight away.
    3. - Added a little routine to Change Sonic 2's sonic while jumping with all emeralds, and to load the follwing things I added.
    4. - Added art for Super Sonic
    5. - Added a Pallet for Super Sonic
    6. - Added Mappings for Super Sonic
    7. - Added DynPLCs for Super Sonic
    8. - Edited certain monitors to not respond to super sonic.
    9. - Finally (after working all day!) added a ring countdown!
    10. - Can only turn super with all six emeralds! Unfortunately, these aren't obtainable in game so you need to highlight the character select, then press C (D on your keyboard) on 0, 1, 2, 2 in that order. If done correctly, it'll play the emerald sound.
    11. - Can only turn super after collecting 50 rings! To make this a little easier for you people following who only started playing this recently, ring monitors are now worth 15 instead of 10 rings.
    12. - Fixed a bug causing super sonic's music not to load the first time you transform.
    Day 10

14. FraGag

FraGag

Tech Member
    Nice project you've got going on, I know I wouldn't have enough free time to do so myself.

I've noticed a few issues in day 10 (some have been in previous days as well):
    • Sonic 2 Sonic's signpost art uses the transparent color where I think it should be black.
    • Sonic 2 Sonic (and probably Mighty as well) can't finish Marble Zone Act 2, because just before the end, there's a spring blocking the way.
    • The player dies in the ending when he has all emeralds.

15. PsychoSk8r

PsychoSk8r

Birmingham, UK
    All of the issues above are fixed, and changes will be seen in tomorrows build. Thanks for pointing those out!

16. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Couple things with Super Sonic. He's not completely invincible. Projectiles hurt him, as well as Robotnik. You also might want to change the palettes of some of the badniks and Robotnik to not use Sonic's palette. Because now the game suffers from Super Robotnik palette problems, with the yellow seats and eyes when you turn Super. Another thing is if you turn Super while having invincibility stars, the music will return to normal once the invincibility runs out. Actually maybe that was the problem. I noticed that if you had speed shoes to start off with while turning super, after the speed shoes run out you'll lose your super speed.

However, despite the lack of a rotating palette, I love the colors you picked for Super Sonic.

17. PsychoSk8r

PsychoSk8r

Birmingham, UK
    The colours I picked were just something very quick, not even checked, just kept at the same brightness to check if the pallet changed, so I'm glad it turned out how it did =3

Projectiles/Robotnik hurting super sonic was indeed down to getting the invincibility and turning super before it wore off.

Your post has been very helpful, and I'll be getting to work on these as soon as possible. It'll be simple enough, just a case of turning off any speed shoes/invincibility when turning super.

18. PsychoSk8r

PsychoSk8r

Birmingham, UK
    Day 11 is up!

Code (Text):
    1. ;==============================================
    2. ;Day Ten (For Day 11's build).
    3. ;==============================================
    4. ;- Added a Transformation animation to super sonic.
    5. ;- Made sonic pause in midair while this animation shows.
    6. ;- Fixed a bug where Sonic 2 Sonic's signpost art uses the transparent color where it should be black.
    7. ;- Fixed a bug where Sonic 2 Sonic and Mighty can't finish Marble Zone Act 2 because there was a spring blocking the way.
    8. ;- Fixed a bug where The player dies in the ending when he has all emeralds.
    9. ;- Fixed a bug where the monitor shows mismapped signpost art at the end of MZ2.
    10. ;- Removed some code added on Day 4's build which was rendered unnecessary on with Day 8's updates.
    11. ;- Added Labyrinth Zone!
    12. ;- Made new mappings for LZ's breakable wall
    13. ;- Reprogrammed the breakable wall to show the correct mappings in LZ.
    14. ;- Added an Emerald monitor to LZ1
    15. ;- Edited LZ1's layout
    16. ;- Added the breakable wall to LZ1
    17. ;- Made LZ2 use it's own edited pallet
    18. ;- Made LZ3 use it's own edited pallet
    19. ;- Added an Emerald monitor to LZ2
    20. ;- Edited LZ2's layout
    21. ;- Added the breakable wall to LZ2
    22. ;- Added an Emerald monitor to LZ3
    23. ;- Edited LZ3's layout
    24. ;- Added the breakable wall to LZ3
    25. ;- Edited LZ2's art
    26. ;- Edited LZ3's art
    27. ;- Fixed breakable wall collision for LZ
    28. ;- Edited Sonic's DoubleJump, so it isn't overpowered when underwater.
    29. ;- Fixed Mighty's underwater pallet
    Day 11

19. Hanoch

Hanoch

Also known as TheKnock, Birashot Member
    Israel
    everything
    The down jump adds up speed instead of setting it, its quite annoying.
    I chained a few bounces with it, and ended up going through a bridge.

The jump height of the double jump is too low.
    In ghz act 1 there's a place where you stand on the grass and roll, also the screen can go up if you stand at a point, and it could kill you.

There should be a restart stage button instead of a monitor. I hit this monitor on accident so many times when getting to the end of the stage, and now I have to look for the emerald again :argh:.

Also this game reminds me of sonic the one ring. Only less hard.

EDIT: The LZ art edit is FREAKING AWEOSME!

20. Icewarrior

Icewarrior

I'm a member of S.T.A.R.S !!11!!!1!! Member
    Hey pal, my bad if you already explained but what's the fu build.bat file for?

BTW, gotta love the awesome sunflower :P

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.