don't click here

The Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Apr 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    Yep, they won't even use the classic sound effects which actually are available in the classic games. How horrible this is.

2. DeeNinja

DeeNinja

A generic young member. Member
    <!--quoteo(post=507591:date=Sep 18 2010, 09:00 PM:name=::CMG (UTOPIA)::)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (::CMG (UTOPIA):: @ Sep 18 2010, 09:00 PM) [​IMG]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    nope, that is indeed a sound effect from Dynamite Headdy
    [/QUOTE]

So, Sonic Heroes stole it from Dynamite Headdy?

3. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Splash Hill goes from looking very nice to looking pretty awful. It depends how much of the of the bushes you can see in the BG. The frontmost/lowest layer looks good, and the middle layer does too aside from the poor tiling. But the far off part never looks good at all. It's blurry, repetitive and very boring.
    [​IMG]

4. DeeNinja

DeeNinja

A generic young member. Member
    Yeah, that's what irked me too; When there was too much background bush covering up that beautiful ocean. ;_; SEGA is trying too hard with this level to make it look good that some parts look downright awful.

5. SomeSortOfRobot

SomeSortOfRobot

Mid-Southern US
    http://legendoflucy.com
    We get a price yet?

6. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Not officially confirmed, no - I suspect we won't until a month or so before it comes out, either.

7. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I doubt they'll ever confirm such a technical thing. Why would they?

The (officially clueless) guys in charge of the very first teaser already made the mistake of saying that this game was "built from the ground up", so it would only damage SEGA's credibility.

8. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

The first blog update came one month ago, with update '1.5' trying to fill in the gap until update 2 gets the green light which it hasn't yet because of some happenings behind the scenes. Ruby keeps teasing the the price and release date will be coming soon and I'm betting they'll be included in a press release with update 2, which is supposed to be coming in the next few weeks. The trip to Japan is supposed to happen before the game is release though.

9. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    Yes, that would be the air boost and homing attack doing it. Intentional or not, it still leads to undesirable behaviors. Some of it, at least. There's the additional matter of Sonic losing horizontal momentum when the D-pad is released mid air.

10. glem3

glem3

This engine doesn't have the same problems as the rush engine. Did you even play rush? There's a very distinct difference between the two that really matters.

In rush, you can just run up a wall or a huge slope from right next to it.

In sonic 4, if you try to walk up a wall or huge slope from right next to it, you'll walk in place.

It really makes a huge difference in the gameplay, being able to run up any slope without momentum. In sonic 4, you still need momentum to make it up slopes. Why people didn't realize this, I don't know, but built off rush or not, it's certainly not exactly the same as rush.

11. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    This raises a suggestion that would've been good for continuity and maneuverability purposes: they could've kept the Instashield from Sonic 3 to the "A > A" combo, and pulled an SU360, putting the air-dash/homing attack on the X button. That would've made it where you wouldn't homing attack on accident, you could tap A when coming off a ramp or spring to Instashield yourself back into a spin attack, and + - it wouldn't have gotten in the way of Super Sonic since they could just set that up exclusively to the Y button   .

Also I believe I have to side with glem3 on the matters with the engine. Besides seeing similar functions (loose air control, gravity issues), I don't see how Sonic 4's engine is one and the same's with Rush's. Rush is much more disorienting, feels much tighter (not in a good way) and has even odder physics than Sonic 4 by all means; and that's just by watching playthroughs of it side by side of the two games. Sonic 4 seems to handle much better than Rush on every front, and doesn't have nearly as bad of a camera or movement as Rush. If S4 is built off the Rush engine, it's got to be moderately modified because to say Rush looks to play the same except with a boost then I can't agree.

12. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Oh it's a MODIFIED Rush engine, to be sure, but it's still Rush. Plays quite nicely though, imo.

13. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

However modified, it's not modified enough. It doesn't need to be 100% identical to the classic engine(s), but it'd certainly be good if it was similar.

14. glem3

glem3

I still see no resemblance to rush in sonic 4, and I can't help but think people are only noticing the phsyics. I mean, do you really think these two look similar in terms of gameplay?

15. Slingerland

Slingerland

Oldbie
    Hechoeg Frat
    Sonic Mania
    The 1-minute mark of this video says differently. You can walk up entire walls with little speed in Sonic 4, too.

You can also walk in place in Rush, too.

Please post less in this thread.

16. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

That video of S4 in the post above exemplifies how Sonic doesn't react enough to upwards slopes. His speed hardly changes which is why he can go up vertical pathways with so little momentum and he goes around loops so smoothly.

17. glem3

glem3

He just got speed shoes, that's not really a fair comparison.

And I know you can walk in place in rush, but it's a different situation because you have a BOOST BUTTON.

Speed. Shoes. They make you faster. You can do the same thing in the classic games. For example, get speed shoes in sonic CD, and then go right next to a loop. You can run through it with no momentum.

18. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    ...he has speed shoes when he does this. You can do that in classic sonic too.

This is so fucking rude, and from site staff too.

19. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

3:19 in the same video. He should slow down more going up the hill.

20. glem3

glem3

He did slow down, just very little. This is more of an animation problem more than anything, but if he HAD been in wheel-o-feet mode at that point, he would have gone back to normal feet there. It's a bit hard to explain what I mean, but what I'm trying to say is that he did slow down, just not enough to change his animation. In that build, his jogging was very close to max speed, remember? So what I'm trying to say is that that slope (and the one after) prevented him from getting to top speed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.