don't click here

The Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Apr 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VB.NET

VB.NET

United States
    Learning C++
    I bet most of the people who say they dislike the game will still download Sonic 4 Episode 1 and secretly enjoy it :ssh: , even if the enjoyment level is just a tiny particle of fun.

I know it may feel guilty to like a game that is inferior to the beloved classics, but I'm really looking forward to this title and I know I'm going to enjoy playing it for a long time! :thumbsup:

2. I'm going to enjoy seeing new characters join and see new environments every episode!

(and hopefully enjoy Lock-On between eps :D)

3. Ravi Singh

Ravi Singh

Los Angeles, CA
    The Snake Soup
    I dunno. I can see people pirating the Wii version and then deleting it within the thirty minutes it probably takes to finish it.

4. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    VB didn't say anything about buying it...

5. Ravi Singh

Ravi Singh

Los Angeles, CA
    The Snake Soup
    True. This is truly "downloading" as you imagined it.

Still not sure about being closet Sonic 4 fans though. I guess we'll see.

6. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    After watching the videos again, I guess this is my official point where I say that I'm going to sort of ignore people's comments on this game. Now that I've seasoned my opinion enough over the past several months, I don't really need any more of it. I'm finally decided on my view for Sonic the Hedgehog 4.

My verdict before playing the game: looks pretty dang fun.

Physics are not perfect, and I don't like the load of dash pads and not being able to stay curled from rolling off a ramp; but honestly the rest of this game has me sold. I don't care about this whole ordeal of the physics not being 1:1 replication anymore, because all I wanted was a fun 2D Sonic to grace non-portable consoles again, and what other way to do it than to continue where the last iteration of a 2D console Sonic title was: Sonic 3 (and Knuckles).

I get to use my trusty spin attack and Spin Dash again, I get to go through checkered hills and bop badniks again, I get to use gimmicks that add to the level design and gameplay (that aren't powerups), I get synth music (and who cares if it's not 100% replicating Genesis synth). I've gotten to the point where I don't care anymore and nobody's opinion can change it. I wanted a solid 2D Sonic game again, and I'm getting it. I mean of course I would LOVE perfect physics, and I definitely wouldn't mind everything just the way I wanted it to be. But to me if it's fun, then what does it matter anymore.

Will give my proper judgement when a demo comes out, but so far I've calmed down and don't care about these details everyone nags about anymore. Sonic 4 looks really fun, can't wait to try it.

PS - Flamewar begins over an opinion in 3, 2, 1..

7. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
  8. glem3

glem3

Watching that video again I actually get the problem with the physics, too. DIMPS programmed them so the steeper the slope is, the harder it is to get up. So basically, if it's a slant, it makes you walk slower (like in the classic sonic games) but if it's a slope that goes straight up, you walk in place. So the momentum building part wasn't really a LIE, at least not because of the physics, because you need momentum to make it up these areas. So really all they have to do is make it so when sonic reaches a certain rotation while walking, he automatically falls. It already is like that, but for some reason it's way too far out and you can crouch, letting you spindash. It won't really be a big deal while playing IMO, because I'll just let go of the Dpad. I can see why it would annoy other people though.

Edit: Inb4 a bunch of people (specifically polygon jim) say that we've known this since the first build. I realized this, I just didn't pay much attention to it because I assumed that there were just problems with the physics all over, and that's what was causing the wall sticking.

9. Before I clicked that link, I was almost certain it was going to lead to that collegehumor "We didn't start the flame war" version, which I just found out is now a private video for some reason.

Now for something relevant: How on earth did they get the "charge spindash" and "commence roll" sounds mixed up yet again? That just sounds odd. Can't believe I didn't notice it until now...

10. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    Most of my distaste for this game is derived from watching it. Sonic moves so erratically, whether its due to springs and shit bouncing him around constantly or just the physics behaving strangely causing him to jerk around in mid air, it just doesn't look like something I'd want to play.

That, and the level design constantly has me asking "why?". I can't see any thought process or particular structure to them, they just seem thrown together almost randomly.

11. glem3

glem3

When does he "jerk around in mid air"? That's just people air dashing. Otherwise he moves just fine in mid air. The levels are designed in a similar way to the way they were in sonic 2. I don't see an issue with them.

12. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

By jerking around in mid-air, I'm think he means the way you can move him. Sonic will move in whichever direction you're holding or straight up/down if you're not holding anything. So you can change his direction and stop him as much as you like until you hit the ground again. You shouldn't have this much control, and it makes bouncing around in the air with springs and bumpers far easier than it should be. Air dashing just makes things worse. I think you should only be able to use it/the HA when you're in ball form, either from jumping or rolling off a ramp.

13. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Eh, the air physics are the least of my worries with this game. The only thing that's irritated me about this game isn't really related to the game but the player; which is how every person that records themselves playing Sonic 4 seems to think they have to use the homing attack / air dash constantly. I'd like a (clean) video where somebody doesn't do that nearly at all through the stage (unless its at that one at the end of SHZ Act 3).

14. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    I will give it a chance, a big chance, but no buy unless it does well. although I can see myself buying it for 50% off in a xbl gold sale in the future, 400 msp is rather cheap and I am willing to pay for a sonic title at that price just for some laughs :colbert:

15. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Finally understanding a problem doesn't make it less of a problem, you know.

Good programming wouldn't have allowed for that kind of behavior.

16. glem3

glem3

Yes it does, finally understanding it shows me how easy it can be to fix in the future. Understanding problems is the best way to get them fixed, really. Seeing that it's simply a matter of making him fall at a certain steepness shows me that's it's less of a problem than I originally thought, because it can be fixed easier.

17. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

I'll have to say I agree with ICEKnight here. Why should you -as the player- have to play the game in such a way as to fix the problem in the first place? We're not playing DIY Sonic here, we're playing Sonic 4, or, well, we would be, if the problems had not arisen in the first place.

Now, out of such a negative stance there, I believe that this problem will be fixed by release, and I honestly believe that Sonic 4 would have been delayed one way or another anyway.

I think we're all forgetting that it's an engine built from new. Remember those various Sonic Megadrive Betas we've all played and seen? Remember the sometimes crippling stuf that would happen? Level design, physics, sprites and colour, etc. Sonic 4 has been built a different way, gradually, rather than in parts. When Sonic 2 was 6 months from release, certain levels hadn't been implemented at all, or weren't physically finished. Sonic 4 had been physically finished to an acceptable level in terms of badnik, layout and level design, but it required further tweaking. As we've seen, it was fully playable without de-bug and such, which shows that SEGA are taking a totally different approach to create games nowadays. Sonic 2 onwards already had a physics template set out, because the games were just built on top of each other.

18. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    It's still the same problem we've been complaining about since the very first leak, and it's not being fixed. It makes no difference whether you've finally understood it or not.

19. glem3

glem3

I'm talking about it being fixed in episode 2 and beyond, not episode 1.

20. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    Actually, its a direct port of sonic rush with the boost button taken out.

The more you know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.