don't click here

Hill Top Zone

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Canned Karma, Mar 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Lovely. Both warning lights and lava in the same door. I'm behind it.

Though I have a question to ask. How much of that detail on the right side of the door is important for the design? There seem to be some really fine things there.

2. zemulii

zemulii

Awesome!! Love the level of detail.

3. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    That is pure awesome. What the hell clicked in your head to do that.

4. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    While I generally think it's best to try to stick with the original design as much as possible, that is too fucking awesome to not be put into the remake.

5. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Actually, on second thought.

Yes, this has been said before, but even though the original door looked somewhat out of place, no matter how well this is done, I fear it might end up looking pasted in there. That is, it looks even MORE out of place. Perhaps the right side of the door should follow the design of the original a little more? Simplify it maybe, with just a few sirens over there and lava on the left of the door.

6. MaximusDM

MaximusDM

Sonic 2HD - Concept Artist Member
    I just felt that the blocks were so uninteresting that the original is kind of unbalanced in design compared to the flashy right side.

Now if I put more sirens with my current design I think it would just be over saturated with 'flashiness'.

I already mentioned at the end of my post that I think its overdone with details to fit in the Sonic 2 universe. But I just tried to throw a bunch of stuff to make it steampunk-ish and from there you can say what you like and what you don't like. I figured from there someone could take my design and remove the excess and emphasize what works.

7. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    That really sounds like your never going to be pleased no matter what people do. The thing is the door is an established object in the Sonic universe. MDM has done a great job giving it a wow factor for saying it was such a bland object. If you don't like it fair enough but at least give him praise for how creative it is. That was some serious thought that he put into it.

8. Compsense

Compsense

NC, USA
    some dance album or summat
    Now that's good. It feels a little heavy on the detail, looking like something I'd expect out of Death Egg or Chemical Plant, but a little tweaking and it could be perfect. Awesome concept, Maximus!

If this concept is ultimately disregarded, I have to suggest its consideration as a replacement - or at least strong inspiration - for the door from Chemical Plant Zone (and/or Death Egg Zone).

9. Slingerland

Slingerland

Oldbie
    Hechoeg Frat
    Sonic Mania
    It's a fucking door.

10. zemulii

zemulii

Thanks, we'll take that into consideration.

11. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    Fantastic job on that concept MDM. I agree that it's heavy on the detail side of things, but the base you have going and the explanations behind it are top-notch. Just taking away all the extraneous bits and adding two more sirens on the right side would tie things together nicely.

12. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Not only did you not read my entire post, in which I also offered constructive criticism, but you evidently missed an earlier post where I did praise the design. Well done.

13. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    There's just no making this door look not out of place. I 100% back this snazzy door idea.

14. MaximusDM

MaximusDM

Sonic 2HD - Concept Artist Member
    [​IMG]

And reference to the original if it is even relevant anymore:
    [​IMG]

15. Hamneggs

Hamneggs

Official Breakfast of S2HD Member
    TEXAS
    Networked lighting
    AWESOME, other than the lights. They look like they're smeared instead of glowing. But even that shouldn't be a problem since the engine will probably handle glow such as that.

16. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    MDM? That's EXACTLY what I meant. Literally.

I am 120% behind this. Let's clean it up and refine it.

17. McGuirk

McGuirk

The Egg-Man Cometh. Member
    Fort Worth, Texas, USA
    Making a Full-Sized Egg Carrier in Minecraft.
    Very nice!

I like that warning sticker you smacked onto the bottom-right corner.

Can anyone make a mockup?

18. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Seeing how well these concepts have turned out for the door. Shall we move on to the lava now?

19. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    But the door isn't done. Why would we move onto the lava already? Unless I'm missing something.

20. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    ^I'm sure that all concept art gets finalised by the staff. Not only that but there could be a possibility that the art that contributors are using for reference has been revised and the staff are not going to show us until the next demo is released. It's something that could do with being confirmed. My suspicions for that is seeing those silhouettes of EHZ that I think scanline99 put up. It's a bit hard for the concept artists to finish something off if they don't know that the art they use for reference is either old or final. So I was just asking the staff if it's ok to move on or to get some of it done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.