don't click here

Who would you want to develop new Sonic games?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Rockman Zero, Sep 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rockman Zero

Rockman Zero

Hello there, my little friend. Member
    Videos for Hellfire Commentaries.
    With the lackluster Sonic games that Sega has created over the past decade, they had to rely on other companies to create good Sonic games, with Dimps being the most notorious. Whoever it may be, we all can agree on one thing: Sega's management of recent Sonic games is terrible, ranging from mediocre to downright awful. Backbone even attempted to create a somewhat decent engine that could mimic the classic gameplay, but they were forced to turn it into a bad racing game.

At least that's true of 3D titles.

2D Sonic games are another story. In general, they are very successful at presenting a decent Sonic game. Let's start from Pocket Adventure.

What is Sonic Pocket Adventure? It was a portable Sonic game released for the ill-fated Neo Geo Pocket. Aside from reusing art from Sonic 1 and 2, music Sonic 3&K, and rearranging level layouts, the game is very good at presenting classic-styled gameplay. The key to the game's greatness lies in the fact that <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fj8x8-5e4aY" target="_blank">it's bosses are not stolen rehashed from past games.</a> This gem of a game slowly faded into obscurity with the NGP's death.

With the death of the Dreamcast, the Advance series revived portable Sonic games on the Gameboy Advance. The Advance series started with classic-style gameplay, but it slowly deteriorated into speed, <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwQib—tP2k" target="_blank">speed</a>, speed. They're good alright, but not great, especially after seeing this crap (I even sold my copy after seeing this!).

Then there is Sonic Genesis, a portable version of Sonic 1 for the GBA. One could say that this game is Sega giving the middle finger to classic fans and not be incorrect. Heck, they might as well say, "We don't care about Sonic anymore!"

Sonic Genesis and Sonic 06 ruined Sonic's 15th anniversary, damaged confidence and trust in Sega's competence in developing decent Sonic games, and further divided the fanbase. At least some good came out of Sonic Genesis' failure, showing that what Sega can do, fans can do 10 times better. (It almost makes me wish that fans could submit their projects to Sega so they could be ported to consoles and handhelds, but Sega is too stuck up to do that.)

With Sonic 4 being leaked, and consequentially delayed, Sega has once again continued to display their incompetence with Jun Senoue unwilling to go the extra mile to use the S3&K sound development kit, Sega creating gimmicks for two levels, their refusal to create new content from day one, and absolute unwillingness to use a 20-year-old game engine for a classic sequel. Once again, Sega is attempting to further divide the fanbase. The Retro fans (to whom this game is supposedly being pitched to) has called for Sega to either start over, delay the game and revamp it (physics, artwork and all), or the often mentioned "give Sonic to someone else."

Who would you want to develop new Sonic games?

I have some ideas to start:

Nintendo: They have a good track record with their respective franchises, namely Mario. They keep change to a minimum, and have consistency between the differing games. I believe an employee (was it Miyamoto or Sakurai? I can't remember...) said that they would love to make a Sonic game and save the franchise. Their newly opened studio, Retro Studios, is even reviving the beloved Donkey Kong Country franchise. So why not? I even wish that Nintendo would buy out Sega, thus completing their ownage of their once-competent rival developer.

Capcom: This was actually Chimpo's suggestion a while back. Capcom has proved that they could create multiple Megaman series and still be successful. A parallel was also drawn between Classic Sonic and Modern Sonic: Why can't Sega keep two different continuities? Megaman 9 was every fan's WETDREAM, thinking that it would bridge the gap between the Original and X series. Instead, fans were given a real treat, a return to NES platforming: same physics, same graphics, and same classic sounds. I was actually hoping that Sonic 4's development would take the Megaman 9 route instead of what Sega currently has on the table: proving that good graphics don't make a good game.

2. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    If Nintendo owned Sonic, we wouldn't see an HD Sonic game until Nintendo's next console. However, the quality of the games would have probably made up for that. Capcom could have been a good choice because of Mega Man's current state but honestly, who knows which game developer would be best for Sonic but whoever it is, it's definitely not Dimps or Sonic Team. >_>

Edit-

I honestly don't think Miyamoto has much interest in making a Sonic game. Retro Studios on the other hand...

3. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

I'd like Miyamoto to step in, just to see the results, but in all honesty, I'd like Sonic to stay with SEGA.

4. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    Platinum Games.

Stylish Platforming Action.

A 3D Sonic game can work. I have no idea why the press seems to think it can. The problem is that SEGA seems to keep trying to drive on broken wheels and the only way to fix it is to put some hydraulics on it or a spoiler.

The guys behind Platinum Games are more than capable of doing the task. The best part is that SEGA already publishes their games so there wouldn't even have to be any transaction involved! They're easily accessible for them and with Hideki Kamiya wanting to do a lot of projects at gun point, I'm sure he wouldn't mind tackling a Sonic game if SEGA asked. A Sonic game by them will obviously be over the top and flashy. They'd make a game that's fun and makes use of Sonic's already given traits. It'll probably not have any of the platforming the majority here keeps craving about, or even lack your silly pinball physics, but shit Mario didn't need precision platforming to make Mario 64 fun.

A fresh take and new spin on the series would be a delight to see, and I think Platinum would be a great choice.

5. NiktheGreek

NiktheGreek

Grumpy old bastard Oldbie
    Writing for the best video game magazine in the world
    Nobody, for fucking fuck's sake! These discussions irritate the hell out of me.

"Oh no, Sonic's being cash-cowed into shitty games! Let's sell the series off, and pretend as if the company that bought it didn't do so to acquire a property that sells shitloads in spite of all the negative press."

The people who advocate selling Sonic are morons. Sega sells Sonic, what will happen? The series will be bought by fucking Activision, because it's a proven seller and can be fit into an easy yearly sequel template. Thankfully, most of the people in this topic so far (EDIT: pre-modtastrophe) seem to be sensible.

EDIT 2: And now, the thread has been retconned into development duties, rather than a full-scale sale of the series. For fuck's sake. In that case, the Sega division formerly known as Amusement Vision. It's been responsible for many quality games over the years, including Super Monkey Ball (good physics), F-Zero GX (speed) and the Yakuza series (proof that the quality output is being kept up).

6. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    By the way, just to make it perfectly clear, one line post are unacceptable here. If you're going to suggest something, provide some reasoning.

7. Yuzu

Yuzu

I'd like to see Arc System Works take Sonic and make a 2D fighting game out of it, that's because it'd be so different to what we have now. I just really see Unleashed style Sonic as too linear compared to the 2D sidescrolling games, so why not just make something completely different.

And this better be in the game

8. SomeSortOfRobot

SomeSortOfRobot

Mid-Southern US
    http://legendoflucy.com
    SEGA selling Sonic would be like selling their very soul.

9. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    I'd like to see Media Molecule take a shot at Sonic, after I have been playing Little Big Planet. They have a great grasp at fun level design, and if it was coupled with their level creation tools, an instant hit would be made.

Or Nintendo, simply because they seem to get shit done right, which is all that matters to me.

10. MarkoMan

MarkoMan

In memory of Dreds... Member
    Queens, NY
    Sonic 2 Turbo
    Nintendo would either make a really really good Sonic game or a Sonic game that is almost more unrecognizable than what Sega has done with him lately.

Capcom would probably do 2D Sonic phenomenally, but 3D Sonic... not so much. See Mega Man. (no, I didn't like MM Legends and everyone hated X7)

I am quite the Konami fan, and I would like to believe that that would make a pretty solid Sonic game. Considering what they've done for MGS, I think that they could easily make solid 3D Sonic game with a engaging, yet consistent story.

11. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    Megaman isn't Capcom's only franchise. They've done great work in 3D. Although I hated the game's characters more than I hate anything, Devil May Cry has some seriously solid 3D gameplay.

12. Covarr

Covarr

Sentient Cash Register Member
    Trapped in my own thoughts.
    Two stageplays, a screenplay, and an album
    To the couple of people who don't like the idea of selling Sonic: This isn't necessarily even referring to Sonic being sold, just outsourced. You know, kind of like he already is, just to a different developer that isn't Dimps.

Personally, I think Retro Studios could do a damn good job. They've proven to be talented at taking over old franchises, and I'm certain they could handle Sonic just as well.

13. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    What's with saying Retro Studios? They are Nintendo's outsource puppy. Their games are good because key Nintendo people are involved with them, and steer them in the right direction. For Retro Studios to make a comparably good Sonic game, someone from Sega who isnt Iizuka would have to be involved. If that's gonna happen, why outsource? Just give it back to Dimps with someone competent at the helm.

14. MegaDash

MegaDash

Pinpricks Member
    Off
    Then my alarm went off the next day.

Colors seems to represent replacing the wheels if nothing else. The engine's the same though, but it's a pretty good engine. It just needs the freedom and the control to ride. That said, SEGA's had over 10 years to start giving a damn now, whether they started with Unleashed or not. The news of handing Sonic off to someone else might be a startling relief in itself.

No, but then Mario never had the pretense to bother with speed and whatnot. He also never seemed to have the problem of shoddily programmed games or shitty cash-ins aside from his spawn of sports and party games, most of which actually aren't very shitty—and if they are, it hardly reflects back on the character. He jumps around and exudes carefree fun, thanks to being in good games and overall handled well. Where everyone keeps saying Sonic should be about speed, replace speed with fun and Sonic will be close to competent at Mario's level.

Indeed. They've demonstrated the game-making chops and score heavily on style and pizazz. Speaking of which, I'm surprised no one's mentioned Treasure yet. That's usually a hum-dinger for who should get Sonic.

15. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    They're replacing the wheels when they should be replacing their old beat up car.

Mario has had some questionable games and two turds (although those two not directly linked to Nintendo). Regardless, the point is that Mario's jump to 3D didn't end up like a Crash Bandicoot game where you go through a linear level. He was not chained to what the 2D games had him doing. His entire world expanded and his games turned into more about exploring his surroundings rather than jumping on all those damn cannonballs in the airship while crouching and the screen is auto scrolling and fuckthisgamethrowitoutthewindow.

Sonic should be loose of the same chains. Don't make a 3D game that feels like a 2D Sonic game. Make a 3D game that would be fun and take advantage of the character.

16. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic may not be suited to that free-roaming nature, though. Sonic has always been about getting from A to B. Yes, there were elements of exploration and what not, but there was never more than one way to advance to the next level. Mario was explicitly about exploring and finding secrets. Sonic was about getting from A to B any way you could.

Maybe that is what you mean? Plop Sonic in the middle of some area and tell the player that he needs to get to a specific place at the other end of this obstacle-course of sorts?

17. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    No. I never said make a Mario game. I never said make a free-roaming game. I never said any of that. Were you even reading?

18. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Then what else do you mean by "expanding Sonic's world".

For the record, I didn't say Mario game either.

19. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    You didn't read shit.

I was talking about Mario in that sentence.

20. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    You know what? I'm not arguing with you. You said "Sonic should be loose of the same chains". I took that to imply "Sonic's world should be expanded like Mario's". If that's not what you meant, you need to elaborate.

Regardless of whether you meant that or not, I agree that Sonic's world should be expanded.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.