don't click here

Happy Birthday, Dreamcast!

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by InstantSonic, Sep 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Unfortunately, I never owned a Dreamcast during that age; I was only 10 when it came out and my family thought the PS1 that I had was enough. I had to go over to my brothers' friend's place to play Sonic Adventure 1 and 2.

2. Imadjinn

Imadjinn

Happy American Birthday, Dreamcast.

I could sure go for some Zombie Revenge right about now.

3. I never owned a Dreamcast.

In fact, from 1993 until 2005 (when I got a PS2), the Sega Genesis was the only console I owned or played. :ssh:

4. angelXwind

angelXwind

disaster programmer Member
    Happy birthday, DreamCast~ (or at least, in the US, that is)

To name the obvious: Sonic Adventure, and Sonic Adventure 2 (never really liked Shuffle, go ahead and kill me)
    and the not-so-obvious: Crazy Taxi

I still have my DreamCast working as of now, with one of those VGA adapters so I can play it on my HDTV that I have.

5. SF94

SF94

Tech Member

Obligatory Dreamcast related video of which isn't very interesting. And yes, I did emulate that. Hence slight sound lag at times.

6. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    I've been modding one of my controllers as a little birthday present. It's almost done, save for a few parts.
    [​IMG]

7. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    Happy b-day Dreamcast! I always wanted one, but now I have no money to even get one... :\ I remember playing Sonic Adventure at my local K-Mart when I was just 10 years old. I sucked ass at it. xD

8. Happy B-Day Dreamcast :)

The times I had with my Dreamcast. I remember when I had to keep restarting Sonic Adventure over and over again because all of the memory cards were out of stock at the time, the times with Sonic shuffle and Rayman 2, and how I was the champ in Let's get ready to rumble and Power Stone, despite my age.

Sadly, When I bought this blue controller, it apparently had some type of virus, and not only did it destroy my Dreamcast, but my all my friends Dreamcasts as well :(

9. RubyEclipse

RubyEclipse

Works at Squar Inix Member
    Nice! Post pics of the final product. :)

10. Metal-Geo

Metal-Geo

Toot toot Member
    Aaah... Happy Birthday Dreamcast, good ol' chap of mine!

The Dreamcast was the very first console I actually owned and paid for myself, back when I was like 11 or 12. I'm still feeling the after effect of the joy ecstasy I had back then.

As a birthday present for my Dreamcast, I bought a few more games today! Along with some accessories!

11. Skyler

Skyler

Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    I'll get on it as soon as it's done. :D

12. Happy B-day, Dreamcast!

Also on that note, Has anyone turned a Dreamcast controller into a modern day controller?

Like remove the innards for the Cast controller and add innards of the Wii/PS3/360 controllers?

13. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    I've seen a lot of people attribute the Dreamcasts failure to some marketing business with the PS2 or the lack of a DVD player, but I think have a different, less popular theory.

Most of the Dreamcast's standout games were arcade ports, which really don't give you that much bang for buck unless you're the sort of person who can get a lot out of such a game.

Still, it had a lot of the kinds of games I like to play, so I got a lot of use out of it.

14. OKei

OKei

OKeijiDragon Member
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Wow, you're right. Not a lot of great, non-arcade-port games for Dreamcast. Plus most of the games I've posted here were made by Sega. =O

15. Skyler

Skyler

Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    Actually, I have a question regarding the controller. Note the seperate grey piece on the front that has the DC logo and VMU window:
    [​IMG]
    Is there any way to disassemble this piece from the main front of the controller?

16. MarkoMan

MarkoMan

In memory of Dreds... Member
    Queens, NY
    Sonic 2 Turbo
    I think the main reason for Dreamcast's downfall was Sega Saturn.

It failed (miserably) to compete with N64 and PS1. So Dreamcast did in fact come out way before its time, and because PS2 (and to a lesser extent, Xbox and GC) were on the horizon, the Dreamcast, as it was, just wasn't gonna cut it for the next, say, 5 years without a miracle.

17. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    Wow, that's 15 games, most of which came out when the system was almost dead.

I think it's funny that you post Code Veronica because most every Capcom game for the system that wasn't Code Veronica was a port of a fighting game.

18. OKei

OKei

OKeijiDragon Member
    There were ports of their own best-selling PlayStation games as well like Resident Evil and Dino Crisis.

Shit, I just realized that DC was a port machine.

19. NiktheGreek

NiktheGreek

Grumpy old bastard Oldbie
    Writing for the best video game magazine in the world
    The problem isn't so much what arcade games can offer - anyone can get a lot out of such a game, to be honest. Games like Crazy Taxi and Super Monkey Ball were million-plus sellers around the beginning of the last decade (even on non-Sega systems), so people were still happy to buy and play them. The arcade focus wasn't a problem because arcade games are somehow poor value for money, but it was a problem because it didn't align with the tastes of the general public. In a time of declining arcade attendence, basing the Dreamcast's software line-up on arcade games was an unwise move. In terms of cost though, it was probably the best one Sega could make - it was cheap to bring NAOMI games over to the DC.

The fact is that no one thing killed the Dreamcast. So many factors were in play that it is impossible to blame any isolated issue. The software line-up was out of touch, no matter how brilliant it was and is. But Sega's brand name was dirt thanks to years of missteps, and the looming PS2 launch definitely did keep people away. The lack of support from EA was damaging, because no matter how well the 2K Sports series did there were still gaps in the market (a good football game, for example). That's not to mention the paltry contributions from other large players such as Namco (with the obvious exception of Soul Calibur) and Konami. Massive amounts of marketing money were squandered on football sponsorships and banned ad campaigns, at least in Europe. Sega's financial situation prevented the company from cutting the system price in the summer of 2000, when it desperately needed to and limited time offers had shown proven sales boosts. Piracy didn't do much to damage short term sales, but did dent long-term publisher confidence.

So yeah, it was a pretty complex situation.

20. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    What honestly pisses me off is that on another Sonic-related forum I go to, they decided to dub it "Cirno day" and completely ignore any other event. Dreamcast's birthday? Nope. PS1's 15th? Nope. Memes related to overrated danmaku shmups? Of course that's the first thing to come to mind! ?/?/2010! GAH.

...sorry, I needed to vent.

But yeah, I loved the Dreamcast, but it doesn't get much love from me anymore due to its refusal to properly read my games. Kind of a killer, that. I did try whatever that trick was where you unscrew your DC and then twist something on the CD laser to make games work again, but Shenmue stopped working properly in the middle of the opening cutscene, which kind of indicates that that failed miserably. What a shame, too, as there's so much in that library I'd love to hit up again. I know they technically do, but it honestly feels like they don't make games like that anymore, and that disappoints me. :(

Last I checked, the NFL 2K series was quite liked. In fact, there was quite a bit of uproar over the NFL license going to EA exclusively, effectively killing the NFL 2K franchise for good. Rather annoyed that that hasn't changed in the past couple of years... or rather, I would be if I didn't think American football was the most overrated sport ever. Despite living in America for the vast majority of my life. I don't think I'll ever get it. I definitely know I'll never get Madden, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.