don't click here

The Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Apr 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RubyEclipse

RubyEclipse

Works at Squar Inix Member
    I actually think Sonic 4 (and colors) both give you quite a bit of freedom. There are parts where it's on-rails and your path is set, but for much of both games your own skill determines which path you can stay on. The highest paths are the best and filled with all the good stuff, but they're the most challenging to stay on and require accurate jumps, timing, etc.

Certainly, neither Sonic 4 or Colors are as on-rails as games like Secret Rings or Black Knight, so I think the trend actually goes backwards in favor of exploration and freedom with both games.

For the future of Sonic 4, it's still too early for me to confirm anything regarding the next episode, but I am passing on all the feedback. I agree with the many of you who would love to see really classic style gameplay again, and am pushing to help get it some attention with every opportunity I can.

2. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    Improvements only where they're most convenient. Adding a torch and truncating a minecart ride isn't really going to make the game better, only less tedious.

Funny fact: Sazpaimon, the head honcho of what was Sonic CulT at the time before the site's focus was dissolved and reinstated as a prototype research community out of sheer unmitigated shame, was among the few people in the community who managed to get their hands on Sonic '06 at E3. He thought it was the best thing since sliced bread. He promptly retracted his opinion upon the game's release and left everyone questioning his sanity and masculinity.

These game shows are exciting places to be. There's a lot of games to play, and you only ever get to spend about 2-5 minutes with them at a time, lest the queue is held up and you wind up missing out on everything else. I've never heard of anyone coming back from E3 with major complaints over a game, any game at all, so I really, really wouldn't invest much faith in any impressions given therein.

I really don't think you understand what Aerosol was getting at. True, there are varying degrees of fanaticism and you can't account for personal taste, but not everything is a matter of taste. Now, things like art direction, the homing attack and even level design- I can give some pretty airtight arguments against all of these traits, but they all ultimately boil down to personal taste. Physics aren't a matter of taste. There's a right way and a wrong way to deal with this, and no one is going to argue that decelerating on slopes when rolling is enhancing the game experience.

Ultimately, what he's saying is that it'd make more sense to start from the top and work your way down. I seldom have anything nice to say about this community, but it's a cold hard fact that no one else in the fandom has as strong a grasp of the internal workings of the classic games as do the people here, and if you can please us, you'll please everyone else all the same. I guess that would take effort though, so!

Sorry, what? Are you actually drawing on the support of people whose existence we can't even verify? You're not getting desperate here, are you?

3. Deef

Deef

"... providing fans with an unrivalled classic Sonic feel. "

Is this the honest part?

4. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Sonic Classic Hybrid Project
    How nice to finally hear the personal thoughts of Aaron Webber himself instead of the voice of Ruby Eclipse and Sega. :)

And you're finally admitting that classic gameplay isn't what we're getting. I guess that's a start.

5. RubyEclipse

RubyEclipse

I think it'll be largely very positive feedback, especially among older fans. The Werehog was pretty polarizing; most people either loved it or hated it. I'm hoping the hints for the future at the end of the first Episode will be something a large group of people will be excited for.

I loved the Super Emeralds. My brother and I played a whole lot of S3&K, so getting the final seven for the Hyper (or Super, depending on who you play) transformation was a fun challenge.

6. VB.NET

VB.NET

United States
    Learning C++
    (EDIT: Thanks for answering my previous questions Ruby :thumbsup:)

Regarding Episode 1, we know that Sonic will transition to his wheel blur running animation sooner, my question is has Sega/Dimps considered increasing the speed/acceleration of the Spin Dash? Theoretically it wouldn't break the game since the boosters seem to let Sonic go up slopes that for some reason are too steep for the Spin Dash.

7. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    @RubyEclipse

You know for the next instalment. Can you at least get your team to at least try and properly mimic the classic physics before you announce it. I'd rather wait years for the right physics than receive an ok follow up shortly after.

8. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    That's CLASSIC physics, not Rush or Advance physics.

Oh, and give Iizuka a falcon punch in the cunt while you're at it.

9. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    Rubyeclipse I posted on Neogaf but I think it's worth mentioning here

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE suggest to the higher-ups in Sonic Team or Dimps or whoever's running the show to fix it so that Sonic doesn't uncurl when he comes off a ramp. This throws off the natural instinct of anyone who got a healthy dosage of Sonic in their childhoods, and also forces them to use the homing attack.

10. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Oh I think they got the message about that. Whether they'll do anything about it is another matter.

11. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    Yes, the moment sega said "Sonic the hedgehog 4" that was it, expectations raise and you think sega are back on the ball... until we find out the truth.

I am hugely disappointed in what Sonic 4 really is but I'll give the free demo a shot or two, the game is more or less an advance sequel in HD, period.

12. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    So I hate to sound like a broken record, but ruby... will I be able to play this with a sega saturn pad on the PS3?

I ask because, if not, I'll just grab the 360 version. I'm asking literally because I'm trying to decide which version to get.

Please answer, this is pretty important to me.

13. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    Thank you Ritz. That's precisely what I was getting at. And whoever it was that referenced the Mushroom Hill video, thank YOU as well.

The original games are loved by all. The amount of people that dislike their gameplay is miniscule in comparison to the amount of people that loved it. Yes, some of these same people also enjoy the more recent 2D outings - myself included - but if Sega is going to market this as a true sequel to Sonic 3 in the vein of Megaman 9 and 10, it should match the gameplay style of the source material as closely as possible. But it doesn't. That's what is frustrating.

I think that's where the other part of the misunderstanding is coming from. I may hate what this game signifies in terms of Sega's view of what a good ol' fashioned Sonic experience is, but I have no doubt that it'll be fun. But it's frustrating more than anything when the tools Sega would need to make this perfect, and not just 'very good' (thanks to whoever said that) are right freaking there. Come on. Don't market it as what the old-school, hardcore fans like us want if it damn well isn't. That's frustrating to no freaking end.

14. RubyEclipse

RubyEclipse

No prob! I'll have to check on this one for you. For now I'd say go with 360 but if I can get a Saturn pad working, I'll pass that along.

15. Jesus, this topic has exploded with popularity since I last read it. 90 users reading at the moment.

I feel like I'm the only one who can tolerate speed boosters. And why is everyone complaining about the title? It's Sonic 4 because it's a continuation of the story from Sonic 3. I fail to see the problem, since (unless something has changed without my knowledge) 4 comes right after 3.

16. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    If someone says something is sequel to another, it's supposed to be in more than just name. Basically, this is Sonic 4 in name only for alot of people. It doesn't have much (if any) of what Sonic 3 had in terms of depth, play style, and overall design as far as alot of people are concerned.

17. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    Yes, I'm sure the game will be fun. But when you think of what it could have been had they started off in the right direction....it can make some rage, and leave others disappointed.

Sure, it will be fun when you turn your brain off and stop thinking about what could have been (much like if turn your brain off when you watch Dragonball GT, you won't think about the inconsistencies and start to ruin the experience for yourself), but it should ultimately be unnecessary, though of course for those who don't analyze the shit out of things like we do here, it won't be necessary.

TL;DR: I'd desire being able to simply enjoy the game knowing it lived up to its fullest potential, rather than enjoy it for what it is.

EDIT: And to those confused as to why people complain about the name, its that this is only an aesthetic sequel to the classics. Gameplay wise, its no more a sequel to Sonic 3&K than any side scrolling Sonic has been since 2001.

18. dsrb

dsrb

Not insulting anyone's intelligence, but in case it's not clear, he's asking if motion control is optional, and if the maze can be rotated with the directional pad alongside or instead of the triggers.

19. RubyEclipse

RubyEclipse

I'm not able to give a specific answer to that question just yet, but we will be able to talk about it more soon.

20. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Yeah, it's pretty much like BMW sticking an M3 badge on a fucking rickshaw for the next model, and saying "this is the new M3 so get used to it, it has the badge doesn't it?".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.