don't click here

The Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Apr 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    jman2050 also used a great one as well, quite some time ago:

2. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Coming to Sonic 4: Episode 2 - Metaphor Madness Zone.

I'd prefer an apple, but I'm perfectly content with a banana.

3. Effexor

Effexor

JUSTICE Member
    So XBLA has new pictures for Sonic 4 as seen here.

The one that piques my interest is this one:
    [​IMG]

Sonic is doing the wheel-o-feet animation by the end sign, whereas in the E3/etc. build, he would be trotting. There's evidence that the wheel-o-feet animation has been worked on.

4. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    Oh dear, more stupid object placement:
    [​IMG]

5. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.

if (speed > 10)
    {
    animation = run;
    }

Code (Text):
    1. if (speed > 6)
    2. {
    3.    animation = run;
    4. }

That must have taken them ages to change that.

6. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Or they added yet another boost pad.

7. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    God forbid they put a badnik in the game that actually serves as an obstacle.

8. glem3

glem3

Or the player wasn't patient and didn't time his jump.

So then boost pads actually get sonic into his wheel feet motion now? Cool. Before they just made sonic jog when he came out of the roll.

9. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Actually, from watching videos that badnik is only an issue if you jump. It's right after a ball balancing part and you just walk off the ball and underneath him. If you jump, you're asking to get hit.

10. Solid SOAP

Solid SOAP

Nut Lord Member
    This game might wind up being a pile of horsepiss, and frankly in it's current state I wouldn't be too surprised, but it does NOT look anything like the Rush games at all. There are multiple paths, classic enemies and zone tropes, and a )pretty poor) attempt to match the Genesis games in style and flow. Yes, the physics look broken and there are way too many boost pads, but the worst that can happen to this game is that it'll wind up being a shitty attempt to match the Genesis style of play, it won't be a Rush game and it won't be similar to the Rush games.

I'm not saying that's a good thing either, frankly I'd love to be an HD Sonic Rush spin-off instead of a poor Genesis knock-off.

11. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Sonic Classic Hybrid Project
    The trees still look like a quick last minute copy and paste job before a SAGE deadline.

In other words, it still looks like a fucking fangame.

12. Solid SOAP

Solid SOAP

Nut Lord Member
    If those trees are just one CGI model pasted over and over again, what stopped them from simply changing the angle of them after each paste-job? I mean, wouldn't that have taken a total of 10 seconds or less per tree? I don't understand the logic behind simply pasting the exact same tree at the exact same angle over and over again, it just looks lazy. The least they could've done was not put them side by side so it wasn't so easy to notice, jeez.

13. VB.NET

VB.NET

United States
    Learning C++
    (In case you didn't see my previous post I just want to say I'm sorry Dude).

As for the trees, maybe they did it on purpose for an excuse to make it look more Retro and simplistic? Haha I don't know.

14. Solid SOAP

Solid SOAP

Nut Lord Member
    If they wanted to make it look retro and simplistic the game would be made with sprites and with chiptune music.

This is coming from someone who was once quite optimistic for the game, btw. It doesn't look horrific by any means, it just looks like a shoddy excuse of a sequel.

15. VB.NET

VB.NET

United States
    Learning C++
    The way I see it, Sonic Unleashed took quite a significant step in increasing the quality of Sonic. Now Sonic Colours has taken one giant leap for hedgehog-kind, and Sonic 4 has poked (whoever is taking these metaphorical steps of quality) and nudged them forward just a little bit more, maybe a bit to the left.

We've got a fun 3D Sonic game with awesome multiplayer that doesn't look like it's been slapped together last minute, and a 2D Sonic game that while not of the caliber of the classics, still the best looking 2D Sonic we've seen in ages. It trumps the Rush games!

If this trend continues, the 20th Anniversary game should knock the metaphorical quality walker out of the park, a Super Sonic Home Run!

16. It damn well better. The 15th anniversary game was considered one of the worst of all-time. But the 10th anniversary game was good, so maybe there's some sort of pattern every 5 years.

Sonic 4 looks better than Rush, but also looks a lot like Advance 1 with better graphics.

17. SomeSortOfRobot

SomeSortOfRobot

Mid-Southern US
    http://legendoflucy.com
    That's not so bad.

18. That's true, there are thousands of games out there that do not play like the classic Sonic games but are still good. However, IMO, "Not having classic physics" = "Bad Sonic game". Do you think that weird little game called Sonic The Hedgehog would have gotten any attention if it had the same mediocre/bad physics other games at the time had? The physics made that a unique game, without it Sonic games are just mediocre.

19. Do I find it weird how we are still complaining about arguably the greatest Sonic games since Adventure/Adventure 2?

I mean, think about it. Colors looks like Unleashed refined, and Sonic 4 looks like Sega's best attempt yet to replicate the classics since that era.

Of course we also have Sonic 3DS and the 20th Anniversary game to look forward too as well.

Sonic Free Riders (Kinect) looks to be the only "meh" Sonic game coming out, but thats because it is simply Riders with a control gimmick.

It truly seems like the Hog is turning around for the 1st time in a decade, and I'm estatic on that alone.

20. Namo

Namo

take a screenshot of your heart Member
    That is where you are wrong, sir, as no one is complaining about Colors. + - Or at least not as much as they are for Sonic 4   :ssh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.