don't click here

Sonic & SEGA All Stars Racing

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Diablohead, May 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I know right, even the All-Star move is obvious, just have that Cop lean out of the window with a Rocket Launcher! Tap X to blast any racer out of your way! Come on Sega, that and some Streets of Rage Music!

2. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    If I see Gilius Thunderhead on a Chickenleg, I will buy this game a second time. Maybe third.

3. ancara

ancara

Well, I just got this game yesterday, and it is quite a blast to play. (BTW, it's the 360 version I got :V )

I just wanna say that it controlls very well from what I've tried so far. I also loved that a few of my favorite music tracks (back 2 back, Bingo Highway and an instrumental version of E.G.G.M.A.N. ) are selectable. Banjo's vehicle actually controlls fairly well on most tracks, and the Avatar vehicle feels just like I'm playing MKWii (which is a good thing).

They even made it possible to turn off items. I wept tears of joy when I found that out.

Oh, and if you're playing online, just be ready for sum crazy British racers (I swear, half the people I raced were British and kicked my butt easily). Oh, and the homing star power-up thing can go eff' itself. Preferably with an iron ladle.

Anyways, Who here currently still plays this game? Post yer account names so we could possibly do a nice big Retro driving frenzy....hopefully with less chaos than I am thinking will happen.

Mine's ancara22 (lolsamename). Hopefully I can meet ya on the track so I can race ya/destroy ya soon. :V

4. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Oh hi there. :v:

5. ancara

ancara

Oh you....~~

Anyways, I'll be playing online in about an hour. If ya wanna race me, send a friend invite to ancara22, and then we'll see who wears the pants around here. :v:

6. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    I sent you an invite an hour ago. I guess I'm already winning. :v:

7. Tylinos

Tylinos

I just got the Metal Sonic / Death Egg DLC thanks to the birthday sale and -- OH GOD MY EARS

Is it just me, or is the constant laser firing sound on the Death Egg track the most annoying thing ever? Maybe it's just my TV, but the sound is overpoweringly loud to the point that I don't want to play that stage with the audio on.

8. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    I should play ASR again at some point. I didn't get a much of chance to use the DLC because my XBOX red ringed soon after it was released.

9. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Never noticed it when playing it. Weird.

10. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    I was looking in Wal*Mart today, and console editions of this game are now $30 USD, and the DS version was $20 USD. I'm assuming these aren't temporary, just a heads-up for anyone who was awaiting a sizable price cut.

11. Kurosan

Kurosan

Samurai of Gaming Oldbie
    By the way, still nothing new to download post-Metal Sonic / Death Egg, and they're still charging for Forklift Ryo (ripoff). So much for tons of downloadable content... =/

12. Yeah, basically Sega doesn't give a rip bout this game anymore.

A shame too...it had so much potential...

13. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    I just hope that the reason they're not releasing DLC for this is because they're too busy working on Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing 2.

A duck can dream, right?

14. Hey Nineko, could you please tell how how you open and extract things from the audio.xpac? I'm interested in finding out how to replace some of the music in that game with my own selections (I know I won't be able to change their titles in the game, but that's ok), and then making some kind of streamlined guide that other people can follow.

Is it possible to recreate the .xpac with my wav's or whatever the music format is?

Thank you, I really appreciate it!

15. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    It is definitely possible to create a new audio.xpac file with your own sound effects (in adpcm format) and your own songs (in xwma format). The problem is that I didn't take the correct approach back then, as I didn't try to figure out the xpac header and so on. All I did was to scan the xpac file for the "RIFF WAVE" chunk and use it as a delimiter to split the xpac file into smaller pieces; I could do this because it's not a compressed file, and all the files it contains are in their original format.
    For this reason if you want to replace any of the existing sound effects you'll have to update the header, with new pointers and new file lengths (I guess, since as I said I don't know the exact header format), possibly having to relocate all the files after the one you changed (unless you cheat and put the new stuff at the end).
    I am sorry I can't help you further, all I did back then was what I wanted to do: get the songs out of there.

16. So, then...you're pretty much using a hex editor, or notepad, to open the files? I'm still not sure how I would take out a song, or put one in...is there a program that turns the data you've selected into a file, and vice-versa?

One more thing- can you please tell me how you got the xwma's to play? I'll need to find out which song is which by playing them...

17. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    I wrote a small utility in Visual Basic which looked for the RIFF WAVE chunks and used them to split the big file, that's it. The resulting files are valid files which can be played in your media player of choice.
    As for the xwma files, I found an xwma to wav converter on the internet, I even included it with one of the downloads. I didn't keep it though, and Rapidshare fucked up with my account so I don't know if it's there anymore. The link used to be this: http://rapidshare.com/files/359066202/ASR_Songs.rar. When it used to work, it contained all the songs in xwma format and the xwma to wav converter.

18. OldVikingSchool

OldVikingSchool

Sonic and SEGA All Start Racing is really fun to play (But they could've added more SEGA characters)
    The track design and graphics(Wii) are amazing. And really plays smooth.

19. trakker

trakker

The guy that's been warned! Member
    Yeah that would be lame, games like SASAR have such potential to be futureproof with DLC, they should have just made a butt load of DLC, and then after that, wait a little while, then release a new version of the game with all the DLC included "ala Burnout Paradise"

20. Tylinos

Tylinos

In case anyone cares, I have an update on this. A few days after it happened, I went back on the game on a different TV and played the track in single player. (I was on split screen when it originally happened) This time, that annoying sound was almost never heard unless you were in the music select intro, or right up next to the lasers.

Last night, I was playing it on split screen again, and the sound was back in full force. Curious, I went and stayed on the same TV, but tried a lap of it in single player. Suddenly, the sound went back to almost never heard. Looks like that for some reason, you can just always hear it in split screen. Maybe it's because of both players hearing it far away at once, or maybe the game glitches and thinks you're always near the laser for some reason. Either way, I'm not going back to that track in split screen unless a patch comes around.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.