don't click here

Roger Craig Smith and Kate Higgins are the new Sonic and Tails VAs

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Azookara, Jul 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aesculapius Piranha

Aesculapius Piranha

つづく Oldbie
    Unknown
    Diva
    I'm sorry. I'm only citing the way every good game company makes their money, which if I'm not mistaken is more than SEGA makes.

2. Hodgy

Hodgy

UK
    Games programming :)
  3. ShenziSixaxis

ShenziSixaxis

Bit of rambling, but is there anything that says that the voice actors will have their voices edited for the roles? I was just thinking about Jason voiced Sonic, as werehog, Shadow, and Jet. All sounded considerably different. And there's Mark Hamil; not in Sonic, but we all know how he sounded like in Star Wars, but he voiced Malefor in Spyro: Dawn of the Dragon, and his voiced was so freaking edited that you couldn't recognize him, nor understand him.

Been like that for years. Perhaps I won't mark it off my list to buy, but I sure as hell am not thinking about this as anything positive. Pretty confusing, really.

4. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.

The only time he sounded different was Jet. His Sonic voice is pretty much his normal voice, Werehog is him just raging in his normal voice, and Shadow is just him whispering in his normal voice. I didn't hate Griffith but he had a terrible voice range he only has 1 voice with slight variation. Go watch any of his dubbing work, He either talks in something like his Shadow or Sonic voice and that's all pretty much.

5. I can't tell if you're being sarcastic but I don't see how anyone could think SA2 Tails was anything other than laughably bad.

6. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    [​IMG]

Out of all of the roles to compare, you choose a Spyro game and Luke Skywalker as an example.

Like Jimmy said, Jason had a shitty range. It's not that hard to figure out it's the same guy.

And SA2 Tails was shit. Heroes Tails would have been better, but he never shut the fuck up.

7. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    Mark Hammil basically used the joker voice for his role in Darksiders, though I can't help but imagine that the voice director just asked him to do so.

I'd love it if the kid who did the voice for Chowder would voice Tails, but then he'd just grow out of being able to do it.
    I'm glad Sonic no longer shares his voice with Bongo the Monkey, a mascot for Danimals yogurt voiced by Griffith.

I'm interested in hearing more from this guy, that demo reel had a few stinkers but he sounds like he has pretty good range, I'm curious what he'll sound like in the role.

8. Lanzer

Lanzer

The saber calls for its master... Member
    Glendale, AZ
    Living life.
    DANIMALICIOUS!

Couldn't believe it when I first heard jason voice him. I was like "wtf?! so sonic is a yogurt addicted monkey now?" Gotta admit, jason was a good sonic but not much else. he used his sonic voice for everything! maybe thats how he got perfect with sonic?...

9. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    That would be Troy Baker, who also voiced Snow in Final Fantasy XIII.

I don't see this one working, though. The problem with Bosch is he always sounds like... well... Bosch. Guy from Tales of the Abyss, Ichigo from Bleach, Ratatosk/Emil in Symphonia 2, Nero in Devil May Cry 4, his time as a Power Ranger in the original series. That's his biggest drawback in that he can't really change his voice too much.

10. So, are Sonic and Tails the only ones they're replacing, or is Eggman the only one they're not replacing (or do we even know yet)?

11. GeneHF

GeneHF

Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    They confirmed the whole "active" cast is getting new voice actors a few pages back. This means Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Shadow, Blaze, Silver, Rouge, Espio, etc... any character that's been in a Sonic game in the last 5 years will be getting a new V.A.

Still not opposed to Humphrey coming back for Shadow. I kinda liked that snide "I know I'm better than you" tone he had, pretty much a necessity for anyone prancing around calling themselves the Ultimate Lifeform.

12. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    I can picture him as Knuckles, but I wonder if that's his voice, or the fact that Snow's answer to a legion of PSICOM commandos with machineguns is to punch the closest one in the face. :v:

Still, Bosch isn't that far off from David Humphrey in terms of simple voice quality, so if he just altered his delivery to fit the character, why, the only drawback would be that he's recognizable. Which doesn't hurt Simon Templeman, Tony Jay, or Michael Bell (when he's not voicing 9001 random NPCs in the same RPG, anyway), so I can see it hurting Bosch.

Then again... maybe that's just because Simon Templeman, Tony Jay, and Michael Bell are just unnaturally awesome like that, who knows...

13. Quexinos

Quexinos

Since 1997 Oldbie
    Although Griffith got much better in Unleashed, it still wasn't enough to convince me that he was the right choice.

I think Smith will do very well. Of course I'll reserve judgment from when I hear more, but overall I'm very impressed with what I hear... it does suck about Ryan not being the new voice though

As for new Tails, the voice isn't bad. I hope she makes her voice slightly deeper since Tails is a boy and all.

I'm happy about this :D

14. These new voice actors defiantly have potential, especially Tails.

15. ShenziSixaxis

ShenziSixaxis

I'm so glad I never watch TV without listening to music now. :ohdear:

From my understanding, Sonic and Tails have confirmed new actors, and everyone but Eggman have new actors for sure, but have not confirmed who is voicing the others.

I only played SA2B once through and Sonic Heroes a few times, but Humphrey didn't seem to have any emotion in his voice for Shadow. It's been quite a while though, so I can imagine that's got better, especially since Shadow's not raging over Maria and the 55 yrs ago thing.

16. GeneHF

GeneHF

Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    Two games isn't terribly much to go by, especially when the voice acting overall in SA2 and Heroes was subpar (even if Deem Bristow did quite well.)

Also, in one game, he was largely a spiteful fuck and the other directed as an amnesia-afflicted loony, so two different performance styles on a character that was sort of shoe-horned back into the plotline after being killed off.

17. Arique

Arique

SHUWATCH! Member
    40 pages and NOT A SINGLE USER has made a "You were almost a Tails Sandwich!" joke yet.

Sonic Retro... I am disappoint.

18. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    That was Barry Burton, that doesn't count.

The obvious joke is to replace every instance of "GRIFFITH!" with Wesker yelling "CHRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIS!!!!!" Trust me, it's gonna be the new black this season. The Meme To End All Memes.

19. This doesn't feel right.

There aren't enough people complaining about the new voice actors. Come on, people, I thought this was a Sonic fan community!

But anyway, I certainly hope they get voice actors that are actually fitting for the roles, unlike 4kids. Rouge is 18, not 40.

20. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    Probably because we haven't actually heard shit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.