don't click here

Classic Sonic Mangás

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Yuski, Mar 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    I don't mind the Yes if it was used more sparingly, much like Death's Head way of speaking. But when it's in EVERY (yes) SINGLE (yes) BALLOON (yes), it's stupid. I mean, "THIS ISN'T THE END, YEEEEEEEEEEEES?"

2. Xkeeper

Xkeeper

lgkdfvlbjepasvdjzcvpaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Researcher
    the bone zone
    current-project-fart
    :v:

3. [​IMG]
    MEGADORA.

4. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    you won't find a meaning because there's really no english translation. ???s a sentence final marker, sort of like ??or???? In this case it's used for emphasis when expecting agreement (again, sort of like ?). I guess "yes" or maybe "eh?" would be accurate enough.

I dunno why it's in katakana though.

5. Why not go ahead and post them, even if they're not the highest quality it's better than nothing. I also found some scans here but I don't know how complete they are and the image size/quality could be better.

6. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I think "Hmm" would not only be an equivalent to that, but also make some sense in English, in all the panels where it appears.

Yeah, that's odd. But then again, the official site of that doodle Sonic mobile game has "Sonic The Hedgehog" written in hiragana, for some reason.

I'm just guessing that writing in katakana something that's usually in hiragana could be an equivalent of (jokingly) writing it in uppercase to give it more relevance, and vice-versa.

So that certain panel could go like "I'll get you for this, HMM!", keeping its meaning while making sense at the same time.

7. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Writing something in Katakana is equivalent to writing something in italics. Some road signs have the text in Katakana for emphasis.

8. 0r4ng3

0r4ng3

Yeah, I linked to them the last time, but it was eventually lost. Here are the raws and translations of it again:
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=L2BGWNHZ
    It's just the two first chapters, all of what was available on the net at the time. It ran for quite awhile though, as someone already said in this topic.

9. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    Sparkling Zone? And I don't mean it's a mistranslation here: it actually has the scenery looking like in the prototype o_o Sorry if this was known but this is the first time I see the manga >_>

Also:

10. AnimatedAF

AnimatedAF

Haha wait, did those badniks seriously just tell Sonic to fuck off?

11. NomadTW

NomadTW

I ain't gotta impress you fucks. Member
    How about they "fuck off themselves!"? :v:

Nice to see some more "Clock Work Zone" references.

12. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    Just read the first 2 stories, awesome little sonic mangas.

I noticed yellow lights in sparkling zone and cogs in clockwork zone, but we all know the story.

13. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Now seriously, is the translator trying to make this look like it was written by a 13 year old otaku?

"Waaaaaai", "Gyapyoo", "N!?", "Fuck off, Sonic"? Really?

14. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    At least he used Mega Drive this time...

Also, that Motobug saying "Fuck off, Sonic" made my day. Dunno if it's the Motobug or Eggman, but the balloon is next to the Motobug so let's say it was him =P

15. As questionable as this entire translation is, I have to agree. Hopefully I won't get in too much trouble for my new forumpic... :x

16. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    Knowing this board, that avatar is probably as fitting as it gets, actually =P

17. Yuski

Yuski

Dragons, dragons everywhere! Oldbie
    He's probably folowing the way translations made on other mangas by fans, which I personally don't like, but it's better than nothing for sure. If was me who was going to edit the pages, I was probably change those (Except "Gyapyoo" which I have no idea what is. =P)

Anyway, the Story Comics will finish July 27th and the Shogakukan mangás will start on next day. =)

18. Some of it's funny but some of it's so bad it detracts from the whole thing, and actually would be better untranslated. At least then readers could translate themselves if they read Japanese (or use their imagination if they couldn't, as corny as that sounds). If the translator just used common sense and focused on making things sound natural instead of trying to preserve every syllable it would be so much better.

19. Mercury

Mercury

His Name Is Sonic Tech Member
    Location Location
    AeStHete
    Bad translations or no, at least now that they aren't in Japanese you can get the gist of what is being said. At this point it's probably faster to open the images in GIMP and fix the problems with the translations that you don't like than make a post complaining about it. :specialed:

I'm particularly excited about the upcoming Shogakukan ones, because I've never seen them, translated or otherwise, and I've always wondered what they're like.

Keep up the good work, guys! :thumbsup: (Or should I say Ganbatte!~ like a 13 y.o. otaku?)

20. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    By the way, are you planning to release the original Japanese scans as well? That would be sweet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.