The Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Scarred Sun, Apr 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    I swear to christ, this is the whiniest topic I've ever had the displeasure of taking part in.

Sonic 4 isn't up to par with the original 4 titles. Deal with it and enjoy it for what it is. Don't say there's nothing to enjoy, because then you're lying to yourself. Look, everyone who has played the game has only good things to say about it. If you honestly think you won't enjoy this game at all, then you guys have to be the most elitist, high horse nitpicks on the fucking planet.

2. Frozen Nitrogen

Frozen Nitrogen

Wouldn't the door have been easier? Wiki Sysop
    I entirely agree. ALL the problems with this game stem from its name.

If it had been called Sonic Rush 3 or something, we'd all be jizzing about how the physics and style are much closer to the classics than they have been in recent outings and how cool SEGA is, because it would seem like they were going above and beyond the sort of mediocrity you'd EXPECT from a game called Sonic Rush 3.

But since they called it Sonic 4, what we EXPECT is something higher in quality than even S3&K, way up there on its lofty pedestal. And that, evidently, is not what we're getting.

:colbert:

Whiniest topic indeed

3. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Hear hear! We all know there are flaws in this game, but it's not like you have to dig through them to find anything remotely playable. We are getting 2D Sonic gameplay, and even if it's closer to Advance or Rush style gameplay, and even if it involves homing attack chains, and even if the music has a bad choice of instruments, at the end of the day, it's 2D Sonic gameplay. It's the reason we're all here in the first place.

4. 0r4ng3

0r4ng3

Honestly, I don't see the point in delaying with the promise of tweaking physics if they aren't going to do nothing about it. Those who are satisfied with the physics would buy the game as it is right away and would not complain while those who aren't satisfied will still detect the same flaws when it was released, would still not buy and would still complain.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't tweak anything at all. 06 PS3 version was not tweaked from 360 even with six months of delay. I'm not being naive I just really don't see the logic on this.

5. Jaseman

Jaseman

The programmer has a nap! Hold out! Programmer! Member
    no rly.

6. Guess Who

Guess Who

It's a miracle! Oldbie
    Oregon
    lol
    It's funny because I'm being sarcastic and you aren't.

I'd like to take a moment to remind everyone of <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanlon's_razor" target="_blank">Hanlon's Razor</a>: never attribute to malice that which can be explained by incompetence.

7. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.

You're fucking retarded. I still find alternate paths I didn't know were there. The game has the most branching paths out of any 3d Sonic game to date.

8. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    '06 does have a lot of branching paths and shit in some of its stages. I actually got lost in Silver's run through Tropical Jungle while recording '06 for BrainScratch, in fact. But that's not quite the same as having good level designs, and to be honest, I actually think that both Adventure games and Unleashed had "better" level designs from a quality standpoint—from a simple "this is how good they are at what they do" standpoint, that is.

Then again, maybe I'm just bitter because the game keeps dumping random giant spikeballs on my head, I dunno.

...?

Even if the game plays terribly, if you have to learn to "cope" with anything to beat Splash Hill, I feel bad for you, son.

9. Lyrica

Lyrica

(Formerly: Donnyku) Oldbie
    Pennsylvania
    Wedding Planning
    I see no one mentioning anything about the video I linked to and how the video is just the trailer from the delay, only the Late 2010 gets crossed out and NOW takes over.

10. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    Presumably there was some kind of gameplay involved, it being a competition and all. I don't know much about conventions or ScrewAttack's in particular, but that's probably part of the excitement—I'd be excited to play Sonic 4 early, too, but, um, probably not to the point of screaming applause.

11. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    I think what happens is:

1. Someone like me announces their displeasure at something about the game.
    2. Someone else chastises people complaining about the game (and by extension people like me), citing it as either "no big deal [that it sucks]" or claiming that it's exactly what I've always wanted and am unpleasable.
    3. ???????
    4. Profit!

12. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Be who you needed when you were younger Administrator
    Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
    Oh man, whine levels are hitting a red alert in here.

I guess I'll let you guys in on a little secret, since some of you seem to be daft to these sorts of things: the video that was made for E3? I'm guessing that's at least a month old. When you have to prepare a big press junket—and one on the level of E3—you don't exactly record your shit the week before, and especially not if you're a company that's frankly as incompetent as Sega. Ever since day one (and I do literally mean day one) Sega's been incompetent. The fact that the industry was largely incompetent as a whole prior to the late 90s helped Sega immensely, as that wasn't made so clear, but since the professionalization of the industry has come along it's pretty obvious. Also, bear in mind that this is the same company whose prior CEO said a little over a year ago that the goal was to aim to be like...THQ. Not a AAA title maker, not an industry innovator—someone who deals with licensing and shovelporting and other such crap that generally isn't identified with a major publisher. That's a pretty balk-worthy statement.

And so, unlike a larger publisher, who would think to do something like get up-to-date progress on a video, you have some strapped PR people who have to spin sugar out of bullshit on an old video. And yes, I cringed at the Balough video too. I cringed really fucking hard. However, that's his job: to evangelize even when the product stinks. I'm not sure why you guys are all that surprised by that.

I'd also note that such a widely-publicized press junket was not exactly meant to be for the spergin' sperglords of Retro. The general public isn't going to give a shit about a quality product so long as it "looks" quality. I know that may be hard for some of you to acknowledge, but...most people will play a shitty game if they spend money on it. I can think of several games I bought as a kid that you better believe I played even though they were crap—you drop $50 on a cartridge and you play it until the bitter end. Drop $10 on a downloadable and you'll play it because you might as well. The fact that the game is named Sonic 4 is probably enough to get people who don't follow video games more than casually to buy it, and so they'll essentially "force" themselves to like it.

It sucks, but that's the way it is. The people who only follow games casually got their video and they'll be excited by it.

On the other hand, I think those of you who are pre-emptively calling this game as dead on arrival need to check yourself. The game being delayed is a big deal, whether you get to see the effects of that immediately or not. Will the game become something AAA level? Nah, let's be honest. It won't. But there IS a decent possibility that it can become markedly better than what we've seen or would have received. I know it's hard sometimes to compromise on what a perfect game would be, but when you have the heads of Sonic Team designing by committee and passing off artistic vision every other game, you're going to get the schizophrenic development we've had for the past five years. If nothing changes, it won't be out of malice—at the end of the day, it's in Sega's interest generally to NOT make a shitty product—but of incompetence. I guess I can at least understand why that incompetence is there and hope that this will change with the various changes that have happened over the past year and as such cut a little slack.

13. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    Man, THQ would be an upgrade compared to Sega. Like a year ago, there was a leaked video of a Warhammer 40,000 game, called Space Marine. You play as a space marine (the original kind of space marine, mind you). The problem was that the leaked video showed a game that basically sucked, shooting someone in the face only stunned them so you could run up and do a scripted kill animation to them, jerky as shit. What would Sega have done? They'd look at it and say, "Oooooh, that's terrible', and then put it on sale anyway. THQ, on the other hand, fired the company working on it and had Relic (a famously good developer) start over from the beginning, and now it looks awesome.

14. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

That the so-called "E3 Trailer" available on PSN and XBL is the very same Splash Hill trailer they showed up back when they announced the delay offers a fair amount of support to your hypothesis, I think. :v:

15. Six months?

Xbox 360
    USA November 14, 2006
    JPN December 21, 2006

PS3
    JPN December 21, 2006
    USA January 30, 2007

That don't look like six months to me.

But anyway... It doesn't really seem necessary to delay the game for such a long time when it's just a simple physics tweak, unless they have to remake the levels to match up with the new physics.

Everyone seems to care WAY too much about this. I'd still buy this game if it had Rush-style physics. In fact, my only real hope is that the story will turn out to be good, like S3K was.

16. 0r4ng3

0r4ng3

Released in EU:
    November 24, 2006 (Xbox 360)
    March 23, 2007 (PS3)

Four months for my region. I have no clue why I thought six.

17. Time is money in the world of business as I'm sure many will understand.
    So wasting time by delaying a product that is ready to generate profit, is a stupid idea.
    Like I said before, the delay isn't going to change the general sales trend of this game. People who were going to buy it originally are going to buy it, and people who aren't won't.
    Most of the people who whine here will probably have bought the game, even if it wasn't delayed. SEGA's PR know this, they've been here and probably saw people would do that.
    So then why, even after receiving confirmation that the product is guaranteed to sell even amoungst disgruntled fans, would they delay the process of making money.
    I've said this SO many times now. They could have said "Fuck it, its gonna sell, so why should we bother with improving it?", but no, they decided to do the smart thing and actually delay it.

And no, they can't get away with not making improvements, even with the gushing media. The media have played the demo at E3, and they were promised by SEGA reps present, that improvements will be made. If they show no improvements, the media will probably slate them for it (whilst still giving average to good reveiws). Heck people like IGN openly aknowledged the mine cart in one of their articles. They have seen the leaks, and if they see no changes, they may not directly say it, but their reviews will reflect this.

+ - they'll probably say shit like "Overall this game feels LAZY to me. There were a lot of opportunities for improvement, but they still didn't improve it. It just feels LAZY" etc. They won't say why, but they'll say it, because everybody loves to subtly bash SEGA :v:  

18. synchronizer

synchronizer

I think the point is that in Japan, there was not a single day of delay, meaning that probably there was no time at all to change things.

19. Frozen Nitrogen

Frozen Nitrogen

Wouldn't the door have been easier? Wiki Sysop
    And as I have said before, it's all on account of the leaks.
    So people who have the leaked version will buy the real one as well, credulously believing that "Six months has passed, so they must have changed something!".

They'll make one or two cosmetic changes, sure - enough that idiots will go "Look X is slightly different and Y is slightly different therefore the whole game has been revamped wow thanks SEGA", and there, done.

Hanlon's razor applies in this case too - in that it is far easier for an incompetent design team to change nothing than it is for an incompetent design team to change something.

20. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    :psyduck:

1) It turns out that with the internet being so widely accessible, and with Sonic being such a popular franchise, there will be people that will outline exactly what has changed, down to the tiniest details. Bear in mind the list of Sonic 2 BETAs and what has changed between them. You can then use this information to decide whether you'll like the released version or not.

2) Nobody thinks that slight tweaks = game revamped. And even in the unlikely case that someone does, they'll still give enough details for you to know what has changed.

3) Some people are happy enough with the leaked version to buy it as it is. SEGA aren't delaying the game for these guys; they're delaying the game for people who are unhappy with the game as it is. See point 1.

4) Why are you so insistent that SEGA aren't going to change anything? Seriously, you're touting it as fact, and it's incredibly fucking annoying.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.