don't click here

Sonic Colours out for Wii/DS

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TimmiT, May 26, 2010.

1. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    Wow! It's like your taste in games is the exact polar opposite of what is socially acceptable. I say this entirely without contempt, of course- it's actually very fascinating to see. It's like you've come straight from the Negaverse, some sort of fucking Bizarro World where up is down and chicks have dicks. Please, tell me: Exactly what is it you're looking for in Sonic? Why does this series appeal to you?

Anyway, everything about this game looks incredible. This is the first time I've felt genuine excitement over a Sonic game since Heroes, only there's a chance this won't end in disappointment. It also made me realize that I have absolutely no idea what I've been doing in this community all these years. I mean, I never actually expected in the slightest that we'd ever see a truly good Sonic game again. What was I waiting for?

EDIT: Forgot to mention, but Dusk Golem's report was particularly arousing. I especially like the concept of hidden minigames in stages. Like, a lot! Clockwork Knight 2 had a similar setup, and I think every game should strive to be just a little bit like Clockwork Knight 2.

2. corneliab

corneliab

That Act 2 looked much too simplistic, short, and 2d-centric. The jump also looks way too floaty.

Meh.

3. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Act 2 of Tropical Resort or Sweet Mountain? SMZ Act 2 has raised a few question actually. There's an Egg Pawn and seemingly more of the level beyond the goal ring. And unlike TRZ, it's ending with a goal ring. A lot of us are guessing that the level has been cut short for the sake of E3 (as was done with 06).

4. TSSZNews

TSSZNews

First @ Something or Other Banned
    The Update Desk
    Occasional JOURNALISM
    Enjoy some Direct Feed Sonic Colors gameplay footage. Screw that off-camera stuff with its somewhat off balance colors (no pun intended) and such.

I'd be very curious to know how this was accomplished...especially since it appears *no one else* on the show floor is capable of capturing a feed like this. OHNOES A LEAK

5. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    The box breaking sound around the end reminds me of Crash Bandicoot. Looks like fun.

6. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    What is the Street Fighter Alpha 3 guy doing in Sonic Colors.

7. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
  8. The Pulse

The Pulse

GLUTHAWK, KING OF THE HAWKS Member
    Sonic Colors is key in Sonic Team's plan to get people to stop complaining about Sonic not being like his genesis days.

Good modern game + Mediocre retrostlye game = "Hey, that Sonic 4 is stuck in the past, maaan. Colors is the WAVE OF THE FUTURE"

justasplanned.jpg

9. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

On my butt in front of the computer. Where else?
    I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    You know, as much as I actually enjoy anime-ish stuff (yeah, I LIKE MODERN FINAL FANTASY, that really says it all), somehow I find this tidbit very tasty indeed. Sweet, like a mountain.

I facepalm'd at myself for not noticing this before.

10. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Woah woah woah.. is it me or does Sonic's voice sound much deeper and defined? It's almost like that announcer is Sonic.

If so, I don't know what to feel about this.

Besides the fact that Sweet Mountain looks incredibly fun to play. Dang it, this whole game looks fun to play.

11. Shakidna

Shakidna

Rehash Rampage Member
    So whose idea was it to still include the Quicktime events from Unleashed, but limit them to one consistent button?

12. Secret Bonus

Secret Bonus

I'm walking in snake piiiits, oooooOOOOooooh Member
    I think it would've been better if you had to press it to a rhythm at least. Now it just seems like the tricks in Rush.

13. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

I'm working on working up the willpower to work on learning how to make my own Sonic fangames. Not quite there yet.
    Yeah, pointless, but at the same time, can't say it looks like a big part of anything, so it's probably going to be one of those "who cares" things.

Anyway...

GamesRadar's Impressions Article

Also, the drill power doubles as a remedy for Sonic's lack of swimming abili—hey, wait, what? Underwater gameplay in a 3D Sonic game?!

14. Endri

Endri

Officer I don't have my drivers license with me. C Tech Member
    Also, notice how there's no HUD in the screen at all. When Sonic is using a powerup, the depletion effect that was supposed to be in the gauge appears, but the gauge itself don't.

Indeed.

EDIT:
    OH MY GOD OH MY GOD! I just noticed. There's something wrong with this build! The shadows are NOT CIRCLES! They are actual shadows!! And the objects/enemies have shadows as well!! (also the lack of hud)

I am in awe :specialed:

15. serpx

serpx

It's so awkward to read all these positive reviews after all these years of ... abuse. It almost feels like these reviews aren't real -- it feels as if they were all paid to say these kind words, though, of course, I know they weren't.

I cannot wait to see actual reviews for the finished products of both this title, and Sonic 4, and I do hope things remain positive. It would be nice, for once, to get some good main titles on the consoles. It would surely help the fanbase, and the trauma left over from recent outings.

16. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

Yeah, there you go, shadow improvements as development advances. Shadows in the playable demo were the same as in the screens, but this is better.

Eggpawns still have circular shadows, but it's not so jarring since they're shaped like eggs anyway.

17. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    Retro Engine & Related Projects
    I'm really impressed with this so far. I like the nod to Palmtree Panic's triangular ground pattern in Tropical Paradise, and also the little announcements made by Eggman in the background (at one point I swear he talks about a car being broken into haha).

Overall, if you ask me Sonic 4 wouldn't really be necessary if some of the other classic elements were incorporated here (e.g. momentum/rolling physics in the 2D sections, monitors, peel out/wheel running animation, special stages etc). As it is though it looks very enjoyable so far, hopefully there'll be plenty of gimmicks in the later zones to keep the game fresh.

18. Solaris Paradox

Solaris Paradox

Well, we know that there are unlockable Wisp powers that we haven't seen, some degree of underwater gameplay, and the like, but I don't expect the same kind of level-specific elements that Sonic 4's attempting to incorporate, honestly. I think the Wisps could very well pick up that slack, though. My only worry is that the 3D sections may wind up too underdeveloped and simplistic compared to the ones in Unleashed HD, but we'll see, I guess. It's great that there's all this 2D action going on, but if the 3D stuff winds up too lifeless, one might wonder what the point of this being a 3D game was in the first place. =P

19. The Taxman

The Taxman

Tech Member
    Retro Engine & Related Projects
    I'd have less of a problem with the 3D sections just being there for a moment of speed and exhilaration if it means no cheap deaths by not reacting quick enough and careening off into a bottomless pit. The wisps could make them more interesting though, wait and see I guess.

20. Fuck, I might actually have to get myself a Wii. Or maybe borrow my friend's Wii.

In any case, I wonder if Sonic Colors will have a soundtrack? Maybe a two-disker, one for each version of the game.