don't click here

Proof of Concept Mecha Sonic hack

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by LazloPsylus, Jun 2, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HighFrictionZone

HighFrictionZone

Hi. Member
    Katy, Texas
    Nothing
    If I recall correctly, wasn't this bug in the original game?

2. I would like to know how this hack is coming along...

3. NamesAreUseless

NamesAreUseless

Hello there Iron Sonic,

I just wanted to tell you that this is one of my top FAVORITE hacks here at Sonic Retro. Playing as a character with a different size REALLY changes gameplay in a very fun way :)

I was just curious if you're still working on this? Been about 3 months since you last replied.

Also had a few suggestions for this mod:
    1. Could you possibly change the left-hand bottom corner "Sonic" (showing your number of lives) to "Mecha" maybe?
    2. Mecha could use some more sprite work (sliding, being blown when under water, etc.) but I'm sure you know that already
    3. Obviously the layout of certain stages needs changed a bit to account for Mecha's size
    4. "Super Mecha Sonic" would rule, especially if you could give him a Beam attack like he uses in S&K

4. I like this, just one problem than others have said. its a tad slow could you see if you can speed it up?

5. JDAdams

JDAdams

A quick note - MZ is fully completable. I found only three problem areas, one in each act:

Act 1) The crushers are hard to fit through and more to the point they can kill you very, VERY easily. It's best to charge a spin dash then jump through when they're at their maximum height.

Act 2) The first green button is hard to jump on. You can hit it easily by spin-dashing off the raised platform just to the left.

Act 3) Take the bottom route to avoid crusher-based tedium. Mecha cannot fit in the space to hit another green button when required, but if you stand on the crusher and spin-dash left you can glitch through the wall and fall down below, then continue as normal.

I'm on SYZ1 with four emeralds so far :)

6. Comments in Bold.

7. JDAdams

JDAdams

Well, your last note does not have MZ down as a completable zone :P Also I prefer working it out on my own, instructive as said series may be.

Edit: Cleared the game except for SYZ3, because of that switch for the moving block, and SBZ3, because the end-of-level trigger doesn't work properly. Everything else is doable :thumbsup:

8. LazloPsylus

LazloPsylus

Buried under SSRG Somewhere Tech Member
    Academy City
    SSRG, world domination, a billion and one research projects...
    It looks like interest has been invested in S1Mecha, and since I said it would be done by now and it's not, it looks like I'll make a public update on progress...

Well, Vette Z was handling fixing the layouts up until a couple of weeks ago, when we had a sort of falling out. He's left S1Mecha and took his layouts with him. So I've brought in the help of another friend (Maxd) to help me finish the remaining layouts that need to be patched. As for several of the graphics issues (like the life counter), they are hopefully going to be fixed sometime when I get around to it. Super Mecha is currently not planned for final release, although maybe in the future I'll implement it, since there seems to be some interest. I do have a few additions that I made (for all of you who complained of Sunburnt Robotnik, he's no more) and a couple of general fixes. It might be released by the end of the year, although this isn't my current focused project. It'll get released. Sometime.

9. Ok, Iron Sonic PM'd me on Youtube, and said he doesn't frequent the Sonic Scene anymore.

He also said that this project has been on the backburner for some time, as he is working on other things.

However, he seems interested to pick it up again, but he doesn't see anyone wanting said project completed.

Or so it seems...

He said he wants to know how many of you would like a completed version of this hack.

So answer him. Would you want to see this hack completed?

10. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    I can always dig more layout hacks.

11. Namagem

Namagem

USA
    Hell yeah! I had fun with this PoC back when it was released. Having a full hack made out of it would be awesome.

12. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Sonic Classic Hybrid Project
    yes
    ja
    oui
    si
    da

13. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Hai!
    Sim!
    Ken!
    Shi!
    Ho!

14. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    Yeah, why not, I'm voting for "do it goddamned". =P

15. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    It's always brilliant to see a POC hack get developed into something more, why stop there? Go further!

16. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

I've already given my two cents to IronSonic personally elsewhere but just in case, YES, YES, YES!!!

17. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Uh. No idea how he can have time to PM you and not post it here himself, but sure! Why not.

18. DTX

DTX

A fellow w/a name fit for nary a man save himself Member
    210% yes! Or 2 & a tenth "yes"'s, if that makes any sense...

This is so far (to the best of my knowledge) the only game where you can play as a character as big Metal "Mecha" Sonic, and the fact that the layout needs to be adjusted just so the game is reasonably playable is pretty cool imho. Plus, Metal Sonic looks totally badawesome. 8)

19. Aquaslash

Aquaslash

<The Has-been Legend> Moderator
    I'd be interested to see this finished as well.

Bonus points if a patch is made to reskin it into the upgraded version from SA:DX

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.