don't click here

WindowsZone

Discussion in 'Fangaming Discussion' started by MainMemory, Mar 31, 2010.

1. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    The game over message doesn't look blurry to me... either way, if you have a decent image editor, you should be able to resize it to 50 or 25% without antialiasing.

And if somebody wants to rip the lamppost sprites from Sonic 2 or 3K, I bet they'd work to just replace the ones in objects\Lamppost\.

And if anybody (besides FraGag) actually wants to make an object/objects for this, I will attempt to explain how the objects work and provide a piece of sample code (probably Motobug).

2. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    Alt+F4 doesnt work for me - Windows 7
    Also, how do I use any of the gimmicks, I only get Sonic!

3. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    Either press the X key to enter debug mode, or select the "Create Random Objects..." item on the menu. In debug mode, the controls are just like the original games, with Z being A, X being B and Jump (whatever it's set to) being C.

Also I'm thinking I should attempt to port or create a Tails-like AI, but rather than simply having another player that follows you, I'll give it to a Metal Sonic enemy, that will then chase you and attack you.

4. I should add this.

It would be awesome to save your Options configuration...so you wouldn't have to fix/change it every time you start the program.

5. Chao Fan

Chao Fan

With serene grace, bitch!
    desert
    Sonic Retraux (french words = pretty :3)
    First thing I though was "oh god another Red Zone remix X_X", but this was rather interesting. I tried it out and yes, the program did prevent me from doing anything else (me no multitasking = ;-;). Still, the concept is unique and once the bugs are squished out, it'll be great. :3

6. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    Now I've implemented a "Metal Sonic" boss that will chase after you, and has all the same abilities you have, and can even collect rings, activate lampposts etc. The only thing it's missing are the actual sprites, which I couldn't be bothered to format and make an ini for. I've also added the variable jump height feature.

Edit: I've made some updates to the AI that make him nearly impossible to kill without using spikes or a badnik.

7. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Excuse me, but what menu?

8. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Click on the little picture of Sonic that pops up in the system tray.

9. Main reason I don't use this is because it seems to eat more and more of my memory as long as I keep it open...has that been fixed? I kinda haven't bothered to update since the second release or something :P

10. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    Hmm, everytime I run it, it says "WindowsZone has stopped working", and it tries to find a solution, only to have that window disappear and nothing happen afterwards. I tried running as administrator, as well as using compatability mode. I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.

Edit: I should mention that I did NOT download the DX runtimes because I didn't think I'd need them. This is Windows 7... it should have DirectX 10 (or is it 11?) runtimes installed. Correct me if I'm wrong. Plus, 100+MB is a big download, so I only want to download it if I absolutely need it.

11. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    Irixion: I ran it for a few minutes, it started at 25,000 K and ended at 32,000 K, although I had created several objects during that time. It seems to fluctuate. I should also probably add a counter for that to the HUD.

saxman: I would say you probably do need it, I don't think any version of Windows ships with the DirectX Runtimes for the .NET Framework. Wikipedia confirms this: "Unlike the DirectX runtime, Managed DirectX, XNA Framework or the Xbox 360 APIs (XInput, XACT etc) have not shipped as part of Windows. Developers are expected to redistribute the runtime components along with their games or applications." link.

In other news, I have an S1 style HUD working, and am working on various types of monitors, then I'll try to get springs.

12. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Then slopes, then Tails then Knuckles then Robotnick, then ... sorry.

Now I've figured out how to use it, I LOVE it!

Although the enemies get effected by the boosters, thats not meant to happen.

13. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    I did that on purpose.

14. Max Firestorm

Max Firestorm

Pyrodramatic Member
    Okay.... Extracting those runtimes to the desktop was a mistake O_o;

Where DO you extract them to?

15. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    Make a new folder for the files, then go to that folder and run DXSETUP.EXE.

16. Conan Kudo

Conan Kudo

「真実はいつも一つ!」工藤新一 Member
    Windows 7 does not include the .NET bridging libraries for DirectX out of the box. Nor does it include the DirectX extended libraries. So, you still do need to run the DirectX web setup.

17. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Ah, I see, I guess it makes sense physically.

18. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    Well anyway, now there's an S1 style HUD (images in /HUD) and a 10 ring and 1up monitor, which also works for Metal Sonic (who still has no sprites of his own).

And, I think I've made it slightly less CPU intensive by adding these lines:
    gfx.InterpolationMode = Drawing2D.InterpolationMode.NearestNeighbor
    gfx.SmoothingMode = Drawing2D.SmoothingMode.HighSpeed
    gfx.CompositingQuality = Drawing2D.CompositingQuality.HighSpeed
    Since I'm using sprites anyway, and nothing (yet) uses an alpha channel.

Also there's a RAM counter in the debug HUD (in MB).

19. Wait theres a new version to download?

20. MainMemory

MainMemory

SonLVL
    Yes.

Also WHAT.

It seems to run much better now, having an average frame time of 75 rather than 110.