don't click here

So... Roboticization

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by RedStripedShoes, Apr 28, 2010.

Select all that apply.

1. There's a lot of potential behind it, and it interests me.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Just thinking about it scares me to death.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. It's immoral, and it angers/sickens me.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. I have a fetish for this sort of thing.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. I don't feel strongly about it.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Other (please specify)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I'd also like to point out the obvious lack of Badniks. IIRC, the classic Badniks like Buzzbomber only showed up in the pilot and vanished after that. Even Cluck, a regular in the early episodes disappeared in later episodes. Instead of a variety of Badniks like Buzzbomber, Caterkiller, Crabmeat, and Motobug, we got, in my opinion, the very dull and very boring SWATbots. There was hardly any variety in them.

2. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

The pilot actually seemed to have a closer handling to the games, a more whimsical atmosphere, colorful environments (Robotropolis looked more cartoonish and 'Scrap Brain' style as someone mentioned), the use of sentient 'bumbling' SwatBots and the odd badnik (the show's bible also mentions Crabmeat and Caterkiller ironically). Robotocization also seemed to work kinda differently in early episodes, whether the robians of Season Two were portrayed as emotionless zombies, the ones of Season One were portrayed with some vague irratic sentience, suggesting it was initially just meant to be a brainwashing concept.

Under that method, I don't think it would go too much against Eggman, even the Sonic X version wasn't against mind controlling others to worship him. I imagine him using it under the same sort of deluded manner as the intended concept for Julian, making the world a robotic utopia with 'improved' citizens that are reprogrammed to adore him. I can sorta picture Robians under Eggman's serving being more colorful and 'badnik-esque' likely under the same employment as his normal badniks of selling Egg Candies and Egg Balloons. lol

I also thought the pilot balanced the characters better, for example Rotor is more prominant and has a more vibrant persona while Sally, though still prominant isn't the same Wesley she would become later on (though I prefer her Season Two design)

3. Didn't Tails also have a fairly significant role in the pilot as well?

4. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

And I'm gone again. Member
    I think he was just tagging along and being useless, as fanservice to Sonic 2 players.

5. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Pretty authentic to his role in the game then. :v:

6. David The Lurker

David The Lurker

For some mysterious reason... Administrator
    Ok, so I did leave out Sonic Adventure 2. In which he uses not much of his own design, I will admit. But perhaps it doesn't bother me as much because it was his Grandfather, and it is more "The Robotnik Legacy" than anything. It's not "oh I found a journal written by this guy I went to school with hahaha" but "I want to live up to my Grandfather's legacy." So I can see that kinda working in the context of Eggman's personality, even if I have misgivings with the rest of the Shadow saga. The thing about Roboticization is that it wasn't Robotnik's idea at all. And is the centerpiece of his entire plan to take over Mobius the first go-round. When Dr. Eggman tries to take over the world in the first games, he is using his mechanics completely, all in an effort to get the Chaos Emeralds. To power more of his own ideas. Taking away one of Eggman's great ideas in the games and turning it into something he steals from Uncle Chuck in the show (and completely transforming the concept in the process) is a huge disservice to the character.

I think the pollution Eggman created back then was more a "means to an end" thing. He needed to get things done quick, and it was a side effect, but not the expressed puropose. SatAM Robotnik wanted to cover the entire planet in smog, not Eggman. Like others have said, he is more a technophile. You didn't see the Death Egg spew intense amounts of pollution into the atmosphere. You didn't see the Wing Fortress smoke up...in fact, in all fairness, most of Eggman's machines are pretty smoke-free. Unless they through out a ton of carbon monoxide...

Right. Just like they were forced to use Tails in Sonic Underground...

Like E-122 said, it was more of a "I guess maybe we would have used him" thing. They had no plans to use him in the third season, and really, if it was up to Ben Hurst I wouldn't be surprised if he would have wanted to avoid Knuckles altogether. It always seemed he used the character in Sonic Underground because he knew how much the fans went on and on about him, but that show was never Ben's baby. Besides, they already used some of the best concepts of the Sonic series up to that point (Time Stones and a Floating Island) in Blast to the Past...and in a way that completely ruined their original intention. Just another example of gross misinterpretation when they could have...I don't know, used the Little Planet or Amy Rose or Metal Sonic or anything to set up what is considered the best episodes of the series.

I think the problem is that the show is often given too much credit. It was given to a generation that thought it was way more serious and deep than it really was. And unlike similar shows like Batman the Animated Series, it hasn't been able to age well. The "Sonic Fights Robotink" premise is the only thing that really carries over between the two, the rest being completely different. SatAM is more "The Adventures of Princess Sally" than "Sonic the Hedgehog." Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog, through all its insanity, is far closer to the nature of the games than the Saturday morning show.

SatAM was important in its day for allowing Sonic to expand to more audiences, but if SEGA had been more careful in its merchandising, it would have been possible to have a show that stuck closer to the games and still be funny, engaging, and clever. I could go on about the Archie comic, but...ugh. This isn't the topic to start criticizing Ian Flynn.

7. Mr. Pictures

Mr. Pictures

Oldbie
    I think they were really cautious with how Sonic was portrayed, so Sally was the only character that was ever given much attention because she hadn't been a pre-existing property. Although she still fits into the archetype of the empowered female character. Sonic was just... "cool", and his SatAM persona hasn't aged well since.

8. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Technically she is based off the 'Ricky' squirrel captive of the games (that was named Sally Acorn in early western media) though of course the liberties taken make her almost as separate an entity as the show's version of Robotnik (it also helps her basis was a rather obscure minor character with no real personality to clash with, outside being male in Japan).

As much as I like Sally (I think she was better fleshed out than a lot of other cookie cutter 'action girls' during that period) I think one of the problems with the show is that it over enthasised her importance, she was as much a 'Wesley' to the show as Chris to Sonic X. Her chemistry and role as a foil to Sonic eclipsed most other development of the show, to the point most other characters were needless to both Sonic and the show's premise (as likeable as most of them were).

This worsened in the second season when she was about the one Freedom Fighter other than Sonic actually doing anything notable. I think Sally is a nice addition to the franchise and an adorable character, but I do certainly understand why many find her presence grating. She got way more spotlight than she really deserved.

That said it wasn't as if they didn't try to develop Sonic, as said Uncle Chuck's development was flawed, but it was largely in Sonic's favor. He was also more humanized than the games and Sonic X version (even if it was occasionally to the point of being a manchild dependant on Sal).

9. Dr. Mecha

Dr. Mecha

Dallas, TX
    3d Models
    I like to point out that the only adaptation in my honest opinion that is closest to the franchise is AoSTH, on the count of it's characters: Robotik is a mad scientist bent on world domination regardless of other consents, Tails is reliable side kick to Sonic, many refrences to Sonic games, and the fact that Sonic is, well, Sonic. Though for some strange reason, I mostly associate SATam with Sonic CD due to their designs. Robotropolis looks mostly like all of the Bad Futures of the zones all crammed together in one huge city. But then again, those futures may be a result of Eggman not even bothered to maintain his machines, and thus all of them came to a wrecked state.

As for the whole Roboticization thing, I prefer cybernetics. After witnessed the universe of Captain Harlock, I believe that turning organisms into machines are a very expensive and difficult process; Expecially with nanotechnology.

10. Mr. Pictures

Mr. Pictures

Oldbie
    How was he more humanized? I can't think of a single human who is like Sonic.

11. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

As in developed in personality with flaws and vulnerabilities, in comparison to say the blank slate he was Sonic X, SatAm Sonic had a basic backstory and more noticable weaknesses, as well as more notable bonds with other characters (even if as stated, it was mostly revolved around Sally, though I still think SatAm Tails was given more of a bond with Sonic in his brief appearances than his Sonic X version did in three whole seasons).

I admit it's debateable whether it was for the better (and whether a character like Sonic really requires a huge backstory to begin with) but he is at least to some extent more sympathetic than some other counterparts that are just clitche 'Boring Invincible Heroes'.

I personally think AoSth did a better job with him (par maybe the 'Bugs Bunny' disguises, don't copy the master of crossdressing, Sonic). Simplistic setup and development, but just as effective, and perhaps the one interpretation to give him and Tails plausible development together.

12. Mr. Pictures

Mr. Pictures

Oldbie
    I don't see it. The acting is so poor, visually and vocally, that it doesn't communicate as anything relatable. I can see moments in both cartoons where they try to be sympathetic, but it's not genuine in the least. Probably because the creators didn't believe in anything they were trying to say with it (ie. Is there a real life equivalent to a friend being roboticized?).

Don't get me wrong, I loved SatAM as a kid, but I never once took their "compassionate" moments to heart. I wanted to see Sonic blow some stuff up, and run real fast, and for my five year old mind he did that okay.

13. This is pretty much my stance on the series.

I admit, I got up early every Saturday morning to watch it. I even purchased the series when it came out on DVD. But it really hasn't aged well.

Watching it now, while I do get the occasion pangs of nostalgia, it's more often than not rather painful to watch. I can't help but cringe every time Sonic says 'mondo cool' and other 90s slang. And I may be the only one who thinks this, but Robotnik's voice sounds a lot less menacing and more...I don't know...turned on. I honestly can't listen to that voice without some very immature thoughts popping into my head.

14. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

And I'm gone again. Member
    "It warms the cockles of my heart."
    [​IMG]

15. Mr. Pictures

Mr. Pictures

Oldbie
    I think it's further proof that Sonic doesn't have much going for him except his games. He has to continue to be reinvented to be cool by people who probably aren't very cool themselves. Even Robotnik/Eggman didn't have much going for him in the beginning, and today, he isn't that scary of a villain.

Also, the Dune series' Baron Harkonnen was ripped off for SatAM Robotnik. SatAM was like a giant mishmash of concepts from other series, but toned way down.

16. As far as I'm concerned the characters are just the way they were in AoSTH. That show nailed it.

That said, I mostly ignored SatAM, and I'm kind of confused as to how Roboticization could work. I always assumed they destroyed the body, and essential made the victim a brain-in-a-jar, but It's apparently reversible, so, I don't know.

17. Now that I think about it, it didn't seem like the animators knew how they wanted the roboticizer to look and act.

In "Blast to the Past," there seemed to be two types of styles: one that required the victim to be restrained (as seen with child Bunnie) and the usual one where the victim is standing (as seen with Uncle Chuck). As for the actual process, the roboticizing 'beam' I guess it could be called, seemed to fluctuate from a large beam to a very thin beam. I believe there was even a time when the 'beam' looked like a lightning bolt.

It also didn't seem like they could decide how the roboticizer was actually turned on. In some episodes, such as "Hooked on Sonics," it was powered on by flipping a switch. In other episodes, like aforementioned "Blast to the Past" and "No Brainer," it was powered on via a control panel.

It's curious.

18. Mr. Pictures

Mr. Pictures

Oldbie
    I wouldn't give it much thought. I doubt the animators or writers did.

19. Mercury

Mercury

His Name Is Sonic Tech Member
    Location Location
    AeStHete
    Clearly, every time the Freedom Fighters escape/destroy it, he has to build another, modified version. :specialed:

20. True.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.