don't click here

Special Stage Development

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Canned Karma, Mar 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tidbit

Tidbit

I would love to see something like that. it seems more like Robotnik the he would even try to kill Sonic in a special stage.

2. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Thing is, we don't know if those were put in there by Robotnik, or if they're just part of the Special Stages' security system. =P

3. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

And I'm gone again. Member
    That was me.

Hi there. :v:

4. Hamneggs

Hamneggs

Official Breakfast of S2HD Member
    TEXAS
    Networked lighting
    Guys, guys, this is sketchup. "Subdivisions" isn't even in its vocab. I don't think...

But none the less I'll work on a better one, mind you it will still use the real-time reflections atm.

5. MaximusDM

MaximusDM

Sonic 2HD - Concept Artist Member
    The Special Stages seem to take place in like an alternate universe.
    I'm not sure of the story, but I don't think Robotnik had the chaos emeralds. So for him to set up traps in this alternate universe to protect the chaos emeralds that he himself was after doesn't make much sense. But then again neither do floating platforms and antigravity rings. So its really a design decision.
    I think a Robotnik logo could look very awesome as long as it doesn't stand out on the mine and it semi-subtle. Possibly have it engraved.

6. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    :objection: There's a clear contradiction in that statement. =P

I think we should stick to adding the "awesomeness" in a way that doesn't make it just feel like something else, like making them spin in 3D, making them blink when Sonic is nearby, stuff like that.

Or we could just add a holographic stripper in each bomb. Because that would be awesome.

7. Wondered if you guys might be interested in this?

[​IMG]

8. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

The edges are smooth, all right, but something seems a little... off.

9. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    It's the lighting on the black surface clashing with the light on the red section in the middle. It would only look like that if there was a light source right up next to the bomb.

If you look at other pictures with multiple reflective objects. You can see that they all have the same light shine.

[​IMG]

But it does depend on whether you have one or multiple light sources. That's why at night you can see two shadows of yourself when walking under street lights.

If anything I can see clashes of artwork if there isn't a discussion on where the light source is coming from.

10. Cerulean Nights

Cerulean Nights

Sonic 2 HD Sprite Artist Member
    Guys, before you continue with the bombs, please realize that the triangles should be vertically symmetrical, instead of that weird shape you keep using.

[​IMG]

11. Hamneggs

Hamneggs

Official Breakfast of S2HD Member
    TEXAS
    Networked lighting

Actually CN, isn't that at the lowest LOD only?

12. Cerulean Nights

Cerulean Nights

Sonic 2 HD Sprite Artist Member
    No, I think whoever made that one started a trend of using the wrong one as an example. That is the second closest one.

[​IMG]

13. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    Just saying... :eng101:

14. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    And this is what they look like in-game, with the correct aspect ratio. With and without NTSC filter.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

15. Kirinja

Kirinja

ATATATATA! Member
    I've always saw the bombs as some kind of scary eye flying towards me. Is there any concept art of the bombs?

16. test-object

test-object

By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea Member
    Mock-up. Definitely make the bomb in 3D though.

[​IMG]

17. Is this any better? Adjusted the design to fit the proper sprite. This render is from an actual 3D model created in Blender. I can play with the lighting, just let me know what needs to be done :)
    [​IMG]

18. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

The squashed arrows look ridiculous, and I don't like the addition of the logo.

19. How about now?
    [​IMG]

20. Max Firestorm

Max Firestorm

Pyrodramatic Member
    Just had a thought. What are you guys going to do about the final Emerald collection where the sky cycles through the colours? I completely forgot it did that until I did it on my friends 360 for the achievement...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.