don't click here

THE SonED2 thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Stealth, Sep 2, 2006.

1. Hayate

Hayate

Tech Member
    While this is really beating a dead horse by now, I'll point out that I was referring to the version that was used in developing SonED2. If you run an old game on a new machine, it might not work properly because the version of DirectX you have installed is several major versions higher than the version the game was supposed to work with. Same story here, except for the fact that it's not that old, but it's still using obsoleted drawing methods.

2. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    btw I used DX3 for my example because the Sonic & Knuckles Collection uses DX3, so that's a handy reference for everyone having troubles. Usually DX9 is backwards compatible with DX1-8, but it might not be the case with DX10+.

3. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    It worked in 7 64 bit ult for me too, but now it doesnt, even on a fresh install,
    or on another computer. tried all the compatability options.
    seems to crash when I press the open project butten

4. MarkoMan

MarkoMan

In memory of Dreds... Member
    Queens, NY
    Sonic 2 Turbo
    SonED2 is an amazing level editor.
    But I don't think I have a build.bat... any help please?

5. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    Wrong thread.

Anyway, if build.bat is lost, re-decompress the disassembly you're using and copy the fresh build.bat.

6. MarkoMan

MarkoMan

In memory of Dreds... Member
    Queens, NY
    Sonic 2 Turbo
    Oh wow...
    ok. I was under the impression that you could just stick an s1 or s2.bin in there and that SonED2 should just come with a build.bat, just like it did a split.bat.

well that means I still have a lot to learn. Okay, thanks!

7. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    That's very weird. I'v never had problems since I started using SonED2 back in August last year. Could you try running it in the Virtual XP mode that 7 has?

8. Jaseman

Jaseman

The programmer has a nap! Hold out! Programmer! Member
    Quick little thing. Sorry if it's been explained already.
    What do I do to make loops work correctly in SonED2?

EDIT: While many, many hacking programs don't work in Win7, SonED2 most certaintly does. I am using 32-Bit, if that helps.

9. Ell678

Ell678

Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    To get loops working correctly, you just need to press spacebar over the chunk. It does explain it in the documentation.

10. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    In Sonic 1. Sonic 2 works differently, and you need the so-called Path Swappers. Not sure which game he's hacking.

11. Ell678

Ell678

Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    Oops, I stand corrected.

12. I tried doing that—however, once I save/reload the project, the extended area is deleted, any tiles are deleted, but the objects are kept. Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?

13. Thorn

Thorn

Tech Member
    Home
    Sonic 2 Retro Remix
    ^ Which game? I know that for Sonic 2, SonED2 will save as if the layout is always $80x$10 chunks ($4000x$800 pixels) because of how layouts are coded in-game and loaded into RAM. If you reach the farthest chunk on the right in normal play and the level size array allows it, chunks will repeat from the left unless you write the new layout into RAM before you reach that point. Objects and rings don't have this limitation and can be written out past this point.

I extended my first act out past $4000 by designing the level in SonED2, then looking at the chunks past that point and writing them directly into RAM as the player approaches it, being sure to load the old chunks back if the player backtracks. There are other, slicker ways to do this, especially if you disallow backtracking after a certain point to prevent having to check for it.

14. Sonic 2—the most I can get is 4000, If I do rewrite, there's no way to get SonED 2 to load the new chunks is there? SonED 2's S2 level layout limit is 8000 for some reason, if you try to extend it past that it says that the maximum size has been reached. Thanks for the explanation.

15. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    Only SonED 1 supports Sonic 3k. (IIRC)

16. Kyuu

Kyuu

Memory Access Violation Member
    Okay, this is probably a really stupid question, but here goes.

I just got back into hacking a few days ago, so I decided to start working on the layout to GHZ Act 2 in my hack. I'm using SonEd2, and everything works fine, but my changes aren't saved to the ROM when I build it.

I have no idea what's going on here at all, so can someone help please? I have no idea what's causing it, it worked fine before.

17. Glaber

Glaber

Has Beaten Sonic Genesis for GBA Oldbie
    did you remember to save the project file before compiling?

I'm wondering how to get Hill Top to display its tiles correctly in SonEd 2. It was easy in SonEd 1 with loading a save state, but I have no idea how to do it with SonEd 2.

18. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    I think the best way would be to disable the art patch, and just use a pre patched version of the art from a savestate or something.

19. Tamkis

Tamkis

Banned
    Pennsylvania
    Megaman 2: The Robotnik Wars, Unnamed S3&K hack
    I have a quick question about the ring object in Sonic 2 using SonED2. How come the rings that are in the default, unmodified .sep files are different from new rings created from object $25 (ring object)? Whenever I try to place a row of, say, 3 rings, only one ring appears after compiling the rom. The sub param I use for that example is $12, which according to SonED2, makes "Spaced 8R, 16 C". But I want 1 row, not an array (that doesn't work) for 8 rows of rings. I just don't understand how to work with the ring object for Sonic 2... any help?

20. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    You shouldn't use object 25, just double right click to make rings.