don't click here

Special Stage Development

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Canned Karma, Mar 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Iceknight, I added the color variation to the shadow as you mentioned:

[​IMG]

Now...

Mockup Time 2!

[​IMG]

2. Compsense

Compsense

NC, USA
    some dance album or summat
    Ooh, I love that. I had never imagined the background developing into something like that.

I was kind of wondering about the reflectivity; at least, it couldn't be done in real time AFAIK, so I wasn't sure why it would be desired in a mockup. In any case, I'm just doing as requested, and I can just as easily render it all without reflections.

3. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    I am going to have to second what CK said about going overboard with the reflections. Looks like someone dunked the thing in a vat of liquid gloss and then didn't give it time to dry off before putting it to use.

4. Hamneggs

Hamneggs

Official Breakfast of S2HD Member
    TEXAS
    Networked lighting
    Mockup Time 3: Sexy mockup time!

Frosted magenta anyone?[​IMG]

And gambit, until it gets textured this is the surest way to give it volume, so I think.

5. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Something's up with the centre of the middle rings =P

Otherwise, looks pretty slick.

6. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    The glass looks a lot better now. I'm still not sure where the bumps on the gold/yellow came from, though...

7. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Hey, that looks much more colorful and varied. Good work, dude. :thumbsup:

8. Synergy

Synergy

UK
    It is worth looking at these mockups from a practicality standpoint: reflection on this sort of scale is not as trivial to add as has been made out to be, highly bevelled edges would add unnecessarily to polygon count, raised portions will be more difficult for procedural generation, etc. Not trying to be the party pooper but it's worth grounding some of this in practicality so that when it comes to implementation you aren't disappointed that it doesn't meet what are, in places, expectations that are higher than what is probably feasible from a programmer's perspective.

It would be good to have other programmer input here to share thoughts as well incase I'm unnecessarily dampening ideas (for instance, whether 2D might be more suitable for this sort of scale, etc.)

9. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    Sat down and re-did mine.

I don't understand how these damn diamonds work.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    I don't know Chimpo, it looks like things are coming along quite well.

More specific input:
    -Fill in the top diamond, looks odd being transparent when all the rest are filled.
    -Those three background diamonds you have in the second from top row look nice, expand them down for the other diamonds.
    -Look at how ME handled the shaping for reference on getting the dividing line between the top half and bottom half for where you need to invert them.
    -Try a gradient color overlay if you're not satisfied with the coloring of them.

11. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Lol@ 3rd pic.

Looks very neat by the way. But now, in Full HD...

Mockup time 4!

[​IMG]

12. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Here's a rundown on how that background works.

They're looking very cool, even if it's a very different approach than ME's.

13. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    1920x1080 is not the gold standard of PC gaming today. :colbert: It's a fairly good resolution, but "Full HD" is a term I loathe.

Other than that nitpick, I'm wondering how the balls would look as a rubbery sort of surface.

14. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    Now that you've brought it up, I'd be interested in seeing the gold stripes done as a rubberized/indoor running track style texture. That combined with a 40-50% opacity glass for the tube with appropriate levels of reflection would make for a very interesting mix.

15. Compsense

Compsense

NC, USA
    some dance album or summat
    Here, I reduced the reflection a bunch, moved the neon tubes a tad from the edge and expanded the spheres/mentos a bit. I think the spheres look a little awkward, but no matter.

[​IMG]

I can render it in 2560x1600 if you want =P

+ - Technically, I could render it in 10240x6400, but my poor laptop might burst into flame.  

16. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    What I'd love to see once we've got main look sorted out, is for Sonic (and Tails when he's on there) to have their own reflection in this new - and seriously cool - glass effect, instead of just having a shadow (if we're going for the glass effect).

17. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Subliminalimagemessage.png?

Suspicious!.

Also we could use textures to make a flat yellow stripe look popped out from the ground!

18. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    That's why it is so important to have a tech demo done soon, so that the standards can be set. The more effects applied, the more power from the GPU.

I still think that 3D is the way to go. Polygon count, bump mapping, shaders must be tested and decided upon. 2D is the very last resort.

Remember that people are doing mockups at this point. They are not the final design. The 3D hardware will decide the final design.

As for the wierd placed beams that will "collide" with the player. No need to have the player collide, or jump over them. just let the player's polygons merge with the beams (as in run through the beams like if it was "noclip" in Quake) until the issue has been redesigned. I have no idea why they were designed that way to begin with!

19. Synergy

Synergy

UK
    Certainly, but I think people are confusing how the design and art process works for creating characters, levels. etc for the 2D zone portions and the Special Stages. I'm just concerned that those doing the mockups have an expectation that the final result will look much the same as the art they are creating when I think, from a realtime 3D standpoint, the fidelity you guys are aiming at is way too high.

Anyway, I'm working on tidying up what I've got, code-wise, so that I can get something out for people to test. I've a ways to go, as mine is a bare-minimum prototype I'm a huge ways behind, usability-wise, compared to what you at Sonic 2 HD have.

20. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Oh but I do expect a simple and clean version Synergy.

Things are getting too overboard on eyes! Glossy & Transparent tunnels are interesting concepts for extra special stages with crazy FXs,
    but they just don't work for me as the standard ones:

-Transparency may hint you the next track curves or display lots of polygon popups, altering difficulty and creating unnedeed programming complications.
    -Gold tracks are a nice touch but aren't those too CG'ish looking? A toony environment should be kept simple even in a 3D ambience or it will look relatively cold next to colorful BGs!

Out of many nice concepts, I'm digging Chimpo's BG at the moment. (agreeing on CK's suggestions I won't list again)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.