don't click here

Special Stage Development

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Canned Karma, Mar 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Gambit, took your idea, thanks, now I like it:

[​IMG]

2. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    That's looking much better, think you could also change the hue for the shadows?

3. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    You mean, you want the shadows to have the same color as the diamonds, but darker?

4. Compsense

Compsense

NC, USA
    some dance album or summat
    Just saying, but that entire mockup - apart from the backround - is a 3D render, so anything can be changed pretty easily if needed. Oh, and here's a render with no background and translucent tube, since it seems that's what I should have posted to begin with. Because I rendered the blue part separately, the yellow stripes look somewhat raised, but if the blue is meant to be glass and the stripes are meant to look somewhat raised, then I suppose it works out.

[​IMG]

If anyone needs anything else changed (e.g. removing sonic, changing lighting, or whatever), feel free to ask!

5. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Can you make the yellow part pop a little like Afti suggested? And make it more reflective too!

6. Synergy

Synergy

UK
    Ah yes, this brings me to another issue I'd thought about: the globules/spheres/whatever are on the inside of the halfpipe at the two points where the halfpipe comes to an end. In real 3D (or in realistic 2D I suppose), this would cause a collision with a character if they were on this part of the tube. Any thoughts on how we could get around this? Move the spheres to be in line with the outside of the pipe perhaps?

7. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    No, I mean making them have the same gradients as in the original.

8. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    We could use pre-renders of them and fit them to image planes. Would that solve the collision issue? They're going to be moving by so quickly that having accurate reflections may not be a huge issue. Especially if the spheres were set up to have dedicated light sources creating their reflections. That's how I did my mockup anyhow.

ME, you've got alignment issues in quite a few areas to take care of. They're not huge, but they're noticeable when examined.

9. Synergy

Synergy

UK
    Not really, because the character model will still end up going through the planes with the textures on. As far as reflections, I wouldn't have considered trying to reflect off those spheres anyway because as you say, not really worth the effort. The tube on the other hand might be worth a look at.

10. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

So your code foundation doesn't have a way to discriminate what's collision based and what isn't? I'm not trying to accuse, I'm genuinely curious as I lack any programming background.

11. Compsense

Compsense

NC, USA
    some dance album or summat
    Like this? (ignore the sphere thingamabobs being stuck in the stripes, that can be fixed later)

[​IMG]

12. Synergy

Synergy

UK
    It does, but this is a visual problem, not a coding one. Take Compsense's mockup, now place Sonic at either edge of the half-tube and move the action forward as if playing the game. Sonic is going to touch the sphere, be it a texture, 3D model, whatever, because it lies inside the tube. So, visually speaking, it doesn't make sense. Mind you it didn't in the original either but if we're upgrading to HD and quality graphics, then such an issue would be noticable.

13. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    That's awesome, some reflections are messed up but that's it! :O

EDIT: Idea, make the spheres appear where the tubes appear, so they wouldn't mess up with the visuals because they would be on the edge of the tube, not inside it!

14. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    I vote to just simply move the orbs out and up a bit so they sit on the top sides of the pipe instead of inside.

15. Synergy

Synergy

UK
    Yeah, that's what I thought of doing, just something you need to bear in mind for mockups or what have you.

16. Hamneggs

Hamneggs

Official Breakfast of S2HD Member
    TEXAS
    Networked lighting
    Mockup time!

I really think a sci-fi glass texture should be used on the blue, like something from Halo or Resistance, or the Whisp's eyes...
    [​IMG]

17. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    Woah, looks like there's been some progress since I last checked.

18. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    That looks awesome.

However, I must note that the "neon tubes" on the sides were supposed to be separated from the half pipe, floating in the air just like the orbs.

From a very old post:

19. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    I'd use a lightly frosted colored glass texture. Make it look less like a pit, or, for that matter, a TINTED pit.

Liking the yellow a lot better now.

20. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

Seriously guys? Everything in moderation, -especially- when it comes to reflectivity. That's pushing things well beyond where they need to be. Let's think up what material the gold parts should be and go from there. If they're metal, are they a brushed style or more chrome? And even chrome doesn't need to be that extreme. I'm all for the glass texture, but for crying out loud, do not put mirror levels of finish on it.

I second what Gambit said about the orbs. We have room for creativity on this, so something being in a slightly different place to accommodate a better feel should work when properly done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.