don't click here

General Project Thread & Feedback

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Vangar, Mar 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    Did you now?

2. stormislandgal

stormislandgal

It's not a phase! Tech Member
    Married life <3
    I don't like to chime in on this project because I honestly don't believe in it, but this is absolutely inexcusable for a leader of a community project. It's like an administrator hitting the ignore button when he sees someone who has an opinion, and then that guy wreaking havoc afterwards. So if I understand this correctly, if you see one person who says something that you don't agree with a few times, you ignore them and block out all future criticism, both constructive and non-constructive.

Look, I understand the frustration of having droves and droves of people coming at you left and right trying to get their own little feature, easter egg or little bit of recognition in something they see as an upcoming success. I see it on a day to day basis in many places. The people in charge of their own projects or discussions don't just outright ignore people, they read what they have to say and reply accordingly if the message can even be dignified with a response.

You're only hurting yourself by doing that. But, hey, you'll just end up ignoring me after this post because this isn't "valid input"! :eng101:

(As for you keeping your engine closed source... while I don't particularly agree with it in this case being a community project, you're certainly within your rights to do so)

3. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    What is it with people being obsessed with LOst's game engine and all this speculation that this project is going to go nowhere? You know if I was LOst I would do exactly what he is doing right now. I would not trust anyone because if I did. Then someone would probably lend the code in secret to someone else, and then to someone else until some git goes "I'll be a legend with the Sonic community and release the code".

It may be a bit paranoid but I guarantee that this would happen if he did release the code.

The last demo proved how good the physics are in the game and I trust that this is going to turn out better than the Megadrive physics.

I just get the impression that people just want the code for themselves and not for the project.

Stop going on about the game engine when the real stuff that needs to be sorted is the art and music.

4. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    I wouldn't worry about that too much, Katelynn. He only ignores people that never have useful feedback. He pays more attention to things than it sounds from that post. Besides, if we see something important or potentially helpful we usually relay a message to him regardless.

5. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

USA
    rom-properties
    Then it should be called "LOst's S2HD Fan Game" instead of "S2HD COMMUNITY Project".

6. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    Who cares! I just want to play true Sonic gameplay.

7. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

USA
    rom-properties
    [​IMG]

If all you want to do is play a Sonic game, here you go!

8. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Then start saving money to buy a computer as powerful as one of these, or you're going to get less than 5 frames per second.

9. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

USA
    rom-properties
    You bring up a good point. A while ago, I asked LOst for a copy of his "Sonic Gens" in order to integrate its functionality into Gens/GS (which I did for Release 7). Some of the stupid things in Sonic Gens:

• Game version was stored as a floating-point number instead of as an integer/enum.
    • ROM detection was rather flaky and relied on certain values being in certain places instead of using the ROM header.
    • Some of the ROM detection routines were just flat out wrong.
    • The only other noticeable modification besides the RAM value readout was a customized startup screen that replaced the normal Gens intro effect.

The only ROMs it could reliably detect were Sonic 1 and Sonic 2, hence the program also had code to prevent any other ROMs from loading.

I think the real reason S2HD is remaining closed is because LOst is too embarrassed to let anyone else see how poorly designed his code is. Unfortunately, that means said poorly-designed code will never be fixed.

10. Elratauru

Elratauru

Little Shiny Emurralds Member
    No...you cant even play on these... Jaguar operates with a version of Linux called Cray Linux Environment.

11. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

USA
    rom-properties
    So you're confirming that LOst claiming that S2HD was taking forever because of Linux and OS X support was a lie, because S2HD will never run on Linux. Nice to know.

12. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    I know they use Linux, it's even written on the page I linked to. Which is why I said to get a computer "as powerful as one of these" and not "one of these".

13. Elratauru

Elratauru

Little Shiny Emurralds Member
    Nah, I thought that S2HD never ran on linux as a native enviroment? Maybe using Wine, but never knew if LOst added something for Linux, aside OpenGL...If its still running OpenGL...

Edit, just for the record: don't get me wrong, its not like Im part of the staff, because Im not part of the staff... I was, yeah...but LOst never said too much of the engine with anyone... I never knew how the hell the object worked (Format, and things like that).

=P... duh, didnt saw that.

14. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    LOst can hoard his engine if he wants, but if he wants to please people he should start working on a cross-platform version of S2HD's engine. Wine doesn't cut it.

15. Conan Kudo

Conan Kudo

「真実はいつも一つ!」工藤新一 Member
    Especially since Wine can be finicky as hell on systems with graphics cards from everyone except nVidia, since most (if not all) of the devs for the Wine Project have nVidia systems, which is a good example of why you should try as many systems as possible to get stuff like that ironed out.

Sonic 2 HD on Wine fails on Intel GMA 950, even though the GMA 950 supports enough OGL to run the game. However, it does run on the ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 on Linux through Wine, even though it is a few generations behind.

16. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    We get it, the tech demo was shitty. Even LOst will admit that if you ask him. Now stop making assumptions about everything based on a 2-year-old tech demo.

17. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    For the database, can I just make 2 requests/suggestions:

1) Make available to everyone the ENTIRE original sprite sheet of every single thing in Sonic 2 - all in clickable thumbnails; and when you click on a thumbnail, it will bring up each frame of the sprite's animation. And don't forget to give us the png files, and also the full animation as a separate thumbnail too.

2) Going on what MaximusDM was saying, do all of this in thumbnails too; that way it gives us a visual, easy to access look at everything that's been done and is being done.

No-one likes just seeing a bunch of text to click on (as it is like now), and then having even more text to click on before having to download the image! Every popular image sharing/searching site does this. Google Images & Flickr are 2 different examples of this.

18. kazade

kazade

A 2D Physics Engine
    This was certainly the case until recently, but things have changed a lot, I've seen a number ATI patches committed recently. Also, MostAwesomeDude hangs around in #winehackers and he's an OSS driver dev which is helping both projects. It largely stemmed from the fact that ATI's Linux drivers sucked until recently - if you are coding a replacement for D3D you'll want a graphics card with decent drivers :)

It might be worth reporting a bug to Wine, then again I guess you'd better test it on the Intel GMA 950 in Windows first. ;)

19. Conan Kudo

Conan Kudo

「真実はいつも一つ!」工藤新一 Member
    What else do we have to base our assumptions on?

Yeah, that's why I haven't sent a report yet. The laptop I tested on doesn't have Windows on it :rolleyes: . And I'm aware of many of the changes since I tested it. I just have yet to try Sonic 2 HD again on Wine, since the builds are way too old. I've been running a few Steam games in Wine recently and I know it works when I make it work.

Also with the work being done to make the OSS ATI drivers for the newest graphics cards first class, I'll be able to try it out on my new laptop soon enough. Also keeping an eye on nouveau too...

But it is a good example of what limited access to code and limited testing can do to a project, especially one like this.

20. RAMPKORV

RAMPKORV

Oldbie
    Sweden
    Licking my girlfriend's anus
    LOst has now stated very clearly that he simply does not care about the community. He actively takes actions to ignore it and avoids explaining how his decisions would benefit the project at all. The reason is most likely that they don't benefit the project whatsoever. At the same time, he expects the community to do the exact opposite of what he is doing, I.e. following the "Contribution Rules & Guidelines" stating that source files shall be submitted.

To put it short, it's a disgrace that someone in charge of a community project dares to stick to the hypocrisy that he is doing. It's totally unacceptable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.