don't click here

General Character Art

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Vincent, Apr 3, 2008.

1. zemulii

zemulii

Oh yeah, I'm definitely having fun with the chicken! Just keep getting sidetracked... It's been so long since I've drawn anything, so it's just good to have an excuse to get back into it :). *Thankyou Sonic 2 HD*.

Update:

[​IMG]

Hmm, only thing I can think of right now is that the rabbit could do with some chunkier and more shapely legs. Slightly darker colours? Perhaps the walrus could be ever so slightly "rounder".

2. Cerulean Nights

Cerulean Nights

Sonic 2 HD Sprite Artist Member
    Hey, to be fair, hedgehogs aren't blue either ;)

3. Elratauru

Elratauru

Little Shiny Emurralds Member
    That chicken looks cool, but the white shade in the back-part of the head doesnt look so good there. Maybe you should try removing it?

[​IMG]

I suppose its better now.

Edit: did some changes to the rabbit too:

[​IMG]

4. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Wow. Dude, you think you can modify the squirrel to look more like in the artwork?

5. Elratauru

Elratauru

Hmmm, I think I'd like to try that, but I suppose its an Illustrator file right? ".ai"?... Since Im working on PS, and I don't have Illustrator installed right now, I'd love to have a psd (Photoshop file) to give that boy some edits. I don't really mind if it was saved from Illustrator as a PSD =P... I know that changing formats sometimes mess things, but nothing to worry about.

---

That aside, I still have to edit the mouth of the Bunny (the sides I mean) to make him more like the original JP artwork. I don't know why, but I love the original artworks. They look so cute and colorful!

:3

6. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    Very nice job on those so far. You nailed the concept art look.

As for the squirrel frames in .PSD, ask and you shall receive. :)

7. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Not sure if this helps since their style isn't exactly the same, but here's the official artwork we forgot to include in the database:
    [​IMG]

And the Flicky:
    [​IMG]

Couldn't find the penguin right now, sorry.

8. Elratauru

Elratauru

...Hmmm, It seems that it's just one flatten layer :C... Maybe its the way you...saved it? I was looking to have the layers, I don't really mind if they are raster after all.

9. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    Not sure what to tell you then. I got a 'could not open, could not read PostScript' error when I tried opening the .AI as a generic .EPS file to preserve the vectors. If anyone else has ideas on it, I'll see what I can do about it.

Edit: Saved it out as a .EPS instead of a .AI, opened it in PS, everything was still flattened.

10. LuckyLagomorph

LuckyLagomorph

Nope, IN
    Drawing shit
    I might as well get this possibly last Cucky edit out of my system before I give up and let zemulii take over. I only did one sprite this time so I wouldn't have to spend more time on something that won't possibly be used. Quite a lot of changes were made, and all of them are obvious so I won't list them.

[​IMG]

I really do wish you luck on your chicken, zemulii! I am glad to know that you have a reason to draw! Sorry if I came off a bit mad in my first sentence, for it wasn't intentional.

11. Elratauru

Elratauru

:C...I might have to re-vector that guy in PS then... Oh well. Thanks anyways.

---

Quick edit, re-vetorized finished :3

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Totally JP Artwork based, its still missing some shades, but that's a quick start on it.

---

Also just for comparission purposes:

[​IMG]

They aren't even finished, of course.

12. zemulii

zemulii

Well actually, mine likely won't be used either! As I'm not so good with vectors and this is just a raster drawing in photoshop. So they're still just concepts (plus mine are edited from yours anyway :P). But I'm happy with just putting some concepts out there for now.

Elratauru I'll see what I can do about the shading around the cheek. I was a bit experimental there heh. I totally know what you mean about the bunny art. When I was looking through the database at the animals he stood out a mile! That's why I'm glad you didn't do him in grey ;).

13. LuckyLagomorph

LuckyLagomorph

Nope, IN
    Drawing shit
    I'm almost fairly certain that photoshop drawings can be used. Also, from how you made Cucky, it didn't expect it to be edited from mine. The more you know, I guess.

Now...I guess I should go back to the drawing board, for the cheek is really bugging me. There was a reason I didn't add it in the first place.

14. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Photoshop can be used.

15. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Yes. You rule.

I'd just modify the bottom of his eyes a little, perhaps:
    [​IMG]

16. Hamneggs

Hamneggs

Official Breakfast of S2HD Member
    TEXAS
    Networked lighting

GROSS! I don't know if it is the vibrance of my monitor, but it looks like Tails as his life ends in Auschwitz. (AkA it looks like he's been burned)
    Gambit's rendition was much better. Please, for the life of me, don't change it into something like that.

17. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    I like the mouth on Iceknights more.

18. Elratauru

Elratauru

I know. =P

Yeah, I did that little guy really quick, like the other animals. I still have to fix him.

Well, Actually I think its your monitor that's not adjusted like it should, but I must admit that it's really colorful (I used the exact colors from the original artwork after all).

Oh, I tried to imitate it the most I could...but like I said, it was speedy vectorized. So, Its wip...

19. zemulii

zemulii

I PMed Vincent before and was told that only vector artwork can be used in the final product. I meant more the fact that my art was raster than that it was done in Photoshop. I love the changes made to the squirrel. The colours look fine on my screen, but I can understand that on others it might look a bit extreme. Maybe if they were toned down just a little it might help? A little more definition in the shading (but I'm sure you were going to do that anyway!).

20. LuckyLagomorph

LuckyLagomorph

Nope, IN
    Drawing shit
    Another edit. Not as major, but still worth looking at. The cheeks are slightly smaller and curved to match the official art, the bottom part of the wing has been shifted a bit, and a personal touch to the legs. It's an easy fix if no one likes it.

[​IMG]