don't click here

Classic Sonic Mangás

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Yuski, Mar 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yuski

Yuski

Dragons, dragons everywhere! Oldbie
    Well, Tweaker authorized me to post this in this section, so I doing. ;D

My friend, Jim (who helps me revising the english version of XDragoon, because my english is shit :v:), for some months have been buying some magazines called Shogaku[X]Nensei ([X] because it have versions 1 to 6). It's the mangá about the hedgehog called Nikki/Nicky who transforms into Sonic (yeah, WTF... but they're fun. =P). Those mangás were never released in Graphic Novel/Tankobon format, so they're extremely hard to find. Those mangás apparently are made by 4 different artists. He got over 20 chapters right now. They're small, have only about 3 to 5 pages per chapter each sadly. Those mangás were where Amy and Charmy appeared for the first time!

Also... he found all 3 chapters of classic Sonic 1 Mangá, published as a special on Mega Drive Magazine in 1991 in color.

Here some samples of the mangás:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If images don't work, go here: http://portalsonic.com/sonicmanga/manga.html

BUUUUUUUUT.... Jim spent a lot with those mangás, I have no idea how much he spent with them. So, I'm taking some commissions to help him to buy more chapters because he's going out of cash. If you're interested to help us to get more chapters, you can request a commission for me via Private Message or even make a donation (help a lot too). Our target at the moment is 300USD. My prices are located here: http://yuski.deviantart.com/journal/19788959/ Note: I only request the payment after I do the rough sketch. Don't know my art? http://yuski.deviantart.com/

The mangás will be released translated in English around June (more safe to say, almoste July. =P), one chapter per week or each 15 days (He didn't decided yet and, he won't release them all at the same time.) He doesn't have all chapters, there's a lot of chapters to find yet, according to my counts, it's about 60 ~ 70 in all those 6 magazines and more extra mangás released on other magazines of that time.

Any news, I'll update here.

Thanks in advance. ;D

EDIT:

It's Up! Everyday, a new page will be released on the site. Check it out:

http://manga.portalsonic.com/

Starting with Sonic the Hedgehog Story Comic Volume 1

2. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    The images don't work.

3. Sappharad

Sappharad

Oldbie
    Yes they do, aside from the hotlink protection...

4. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    Copy links into address bar.

5. Yuski

Yuski

Added the link to a HTML. But I'll upload on my own site to don't have hotlink problem.

6. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    I swear, whoever invented the anti hotlink protection was stupid.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. I PM'ed you about it. But would I be able to clean these raws up?

EDIT: Nevermind, I'll post the cleaned RAW here for people to see.
    [​IMG]

8. Ah, this explains why I couldn't ever find these online, they were never scanned. :P This'll be a fun read once fully released though!

Oh, wasn't there another manga released sometime after Sonic Adventure? It was more comedy based, and actually was put in compilations.

9. Yuski

Yuski

That one is DASH&SPIN!! Chosuku Sonic, was released on Coro Coro Comics Special Line-Up from Feb 2002 to January 2005. It have 2 volumes, I have them, but no courage to separe the pages to scan... Some years ago, somebody at Sonic Cult started to scan it but stopped.

There's another mangá who didn't got a compilation yet and still being published on Dengeki DS Magazine. Right now it's in Sonic Chronicles arc. The previous arcs were Sonic Unleashed (8 chapters) and Sonic and the Black Knight (3 chapters). I have chapter 13 and on of those, and plan to release it too in July.

10. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    Someone should definitely translate them, I would love to read them. :D This is awesome.

11. I'd clean and write over the speech bubbles and edit the script if someone translated. Sound good anyone? Calling to translators XD

12. Robochao

Robochao

It looks like they've been drawing Sonic for years and yet this was released in '91.
    Seeing something like this done at the beginning of Sonic's lifespan is.. a miracle!

Daaaw.

13. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    This is wonderful stuff, it would be awesome if someone could get full scans and translations of these. I'm really digging the simple cute artwork.

14. Mr. Pictures

Mr. Pictures

Oldbie
    This is probably the least known of the official Sonic comic books. I'm glad there are people who are interested enough in it to share it with the public. I almost thought I'd never be able to see more of it. Very weird to see noseless proto-Charmy and some of the other obscure characters. Is that character with the torn up shirt and cap a dinosaur?

I also thought I saw an official Sonic 2 manga that was released with the game in Japan. Does that exist?

15. Mercury

Mercury

His Name Is Sonic Tech Member
    Location Location
    AeStHete
    Am I the only one who thinks it's really weird that Sega mined these (apparently somewhat non-official, canon-wise at least) manga for character ideas?

The fact that Amy and Charmy got their start here is seriously bizarre. I mean, if Sega added Porker Lewis or Professor Von Schlemmer, we'd all be like "wut?" but somehow we've come to accept Amy and Charmy.

16. test-object

test-object

By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea Member
    I think it's because of the extreme American (Looney Tunes + Ren and Stimpy-like) nature of those characters which kind of are misfits in a Sonic universe.

17. Super Rockman

Super Rockman

Yeah, and besides, if those characters (or at least appropriately styled counterparts) had appeared in this manga, then they would have probably had to come up with different or altered characters, assuming they knew about this manga at all.

18. MastaSys

MastaSys

Nice find.

I really wanted to see scans of those.
    The artwork is better than I thought it would be.

19. Mr. Pictures

Mr. Pictures

Oldbie
    Both Charmy and Amy still look like Sonic, and that seems to be the basis for almost every new character. The manga also seems pretty locked down in making every secondary character look like Sonic too. Although the lizard character with the spiked boxing gloves looks unique and would have been interesting to see in the games.

Since Sega probably licensed out Sonic to this manga publisher they probably got to own anything that they created. The same goes for the Archie comics.

20. Kinda funny that in this Nikki is in love with Amy, but Amy pays him no attention. (Though she does like Sonic...) It's practically the opposite of what happens nowadays!

Oh, and if Amy AND Charmy first appeared in printed form, WHY WON'T THEY ADD MORE CHARACTERS FROM OTHER MEDIA IN? :argh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.