don't click here

The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by McGuirk, Jan 10, 2007.

1. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    My turn.

In the Sega Mega Collection prototype (Gamecube) - they used the Sonic Spinball revision with the alternate music instead. In the final, they obviously replaced it with the correct version with the different title theme.

Besides that, there aren't really any differences among the games other than that they haven't added REV02 of Sonic 1 yet (it's just the American revision so far), and some other copies of games with different regions. But there is one that's kinda strange.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/38216/bluesphere%2...0ver%20maybe.7z

knu_p1 is Blue Sphere (Sonic & Knuckles in Sonic 1). In the final, there's only knu_p1.dat. In the prototype, there's knu_p1.dat and another file called knu_p1_us.dat. Both of these files aren't alike (based on what I saw in my Hex Editor). The strange part is that the only release that we have of Blue Sphere is the (W) dump. There was no 'US' only dump of the game. So is this a new dump?

Unfortunately, I would've found out what the deal was by dumping the memory while the game is running - but I can't. The game isn't unlocked in the prototype by default for some reason or another. So I can't get the rom the easy way. Hasn't someone created a tool to get the rom files out of the Mega Collection games before?

That's basically all there is to know about the game themselves in the prototype version of the collection. Well, except that the uncompressed copy of Sonic 3 (J) is on the root of the Gamecube disk and the actual version of Sonic 3 they used was the (U) version. Besides that, there's nothing left to really look at. :\

2. NickW

NickW

Couldn't you just swap that file with another one that's already unlocked?

3. I heard Sonic CD was SUPPOSED to be in Sonic Mega Collection.

All we got was the opening/ending cutscenes...WHY?!

Just tease us...Sega...

4. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    I tried but it results in a crash. :(

I tried Jaeder Naub and still nothing. Hm...

5. Emulation issues, IIRC. Even the Gems Collection version isn't perfect, though it should've been relatively easy to fix that whole Tidal Tempest water color thing.

6. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    So, small liberty taken here because Ristar isn't a Sonic game per se but it's on the wiki, so...

<!--id1--><object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bbPM2k2h8-A#t=0m53&"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bbPM2k2h8-A#t=0m53&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object><!--id2-->
    53 seconds in, the staff roll for My Neighbour Totoro.

The staff roll for Ristar.

I think they're similar. Another connection is that the black blob which comes out of enemies when you defeat them look like the soot sprites, or susuwatari from both Totoro and Spirited Away.

It's all coincidence, but I love it so. :)

7. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    Flicky Turncoat DX, T.L.W.S. Vs M.G.W.
    Is there a place that has all the zone icons from the different games, including Sonic CD? I thought Sonic CD had a few beta/icon connections.

8. Dusk Golem

Dusk Golem

Where Fear and Cryptic Puzzles lie... Member
    Probably known but my quick search didn't turn up any results... But the Sonic Rush E3 Demo (after it was no longer the Seaside Hill rub fest) had alternate Title Screen, Lead Storm, Result Screen, and Boss Music. The Leaf Storm song in the final game was used as a snippet for "Friend or Enemy?" when Blaze appears.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdCI4Kqkzq4

9. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
  10. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Sonic Classic Hybrid Project
    When Sonic spins in the Sonic 3 competition stages he's using his Sonic 2 sprite.

That is all

11. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Also, Tails' flying sprites in Sonic 3's Competition mode are taken from Sonic 2 as well.

12. Deef

Deef

One thing I just noticed that I've never heard of before:

In Sonic 3&K, Knuckles can launch into a spin dash immediately after landing from an aborted glide. You can use this to legitimately "climb" (ie, glide-drop-dash) to the top of the snowboarding mountain in Icecap.

I imagine many people know that. What I didn't know is that you can't do this in S2&K. It's a pain.

13. Deef

Deef

Oh, and, in Sonic 3 if you sit on the save select screen for ages, the music changes. Not a new tune, but it changes. I can't remember how long it takes... 4 minutes? 10? 30?

14. Tiddles

Tiddles

Diamond Dust Tech Member
    Leicester, England
    Get in an accident and wake up in 1973
    Higher, higher! I just left it running in the background and timed it at just over 47 minutes.

I assume this is technically a bug, since it's missing from the Sonic & Knuckles version of the tune. I always thought it was rather nice though.

15. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    Is there a video or youtube of the changing music? not going to wait 47 minutes!

16. I've started to listen to it, I guess I could record it while I wait. Might not be great though, my computer isn't exactly great.

17. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    Flicky Turncoat DX, T.L.W.S. Vs M.G.W.
    LBZ, what is that dark circle on the Death Egg? I thought it was the eye/thruster, but that isn't in the final game's BG.

18. Galaxia

Galaxia

Manchester, England
    degloving infants
    Been ages since I last posted but whatever- just a thought to consider... we know SEGA have thrown references out there to Dragon Ball and Star Wars but I think there could be another sly nod to everyone's favourite pop act The Beatles in the design of Dr. Robotnik, or Eggman's character...

I mean we have the line in "I Am The Walrus" - "I am the eggman, I am the walrus, coo coo kachoob" - but I think the overall look of Eggman sort of looks like a walrus, especially the moustache. Probably a contrived claim, but valid nonetheless, right?

19. Ravenfreak

Ravenfreak

2 Edgy 4 U Tech Member
    O'Fallon Mo
    Sonic 1 Game Gear Disassembly
    That would be awesome, because I'm with Diablohead, 47 mins. is way too long. xP

20. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    I thought that was highly known.