don't click here

WIP General Art

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Vincent, Oct 2, 2008.

1. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    It's getting there.

Ya know the whisp's left arm. The connection between the arm and the body looks like it's not centre and needs to be corrected a bit.

2. Cerulean Nights

Cerulean Nights

Sonic 2 HD Sprite Artist Member
    I was told this is the correct place for new WIP, so this is where I posted it. I double checked with Vincent, and he said this is the right place. I totally agree that we need a better organized way of doing things here, because it is next to impossible to keep track of things. I would be glad to help with that.

Good eye. The legs got a little messed up when I shrank the image down. I tried to fix them best I could, but I must have missed that. It's fixed now, as well as the rainbow effect that subsubstantive suggested.

Regarding what MaximusDM said about this being in the wrong forum, I was told this is the correct place for new WIP, so this is where I posted it. I totally agree that we need a better organized way of doing things here, because it is next to impossible to keep track of things.

Apparently that is the fastest photoshop will let me save animated gifs, so if anyone has any suggestions on a better way to save them, let me know.

[​IMG]

I also have the OK to upload it to the database, and as far as I am concerned, it is pretty much finished, unless you find some minor problems that need to be addressed.

Also, as a preview of what's to come from me, I started on the Flasher from Mystic Cave Zone. It's just a rough start, something to do while I wait for any final thoughts on the Whisp, but I thought I would show you anyway.

[​IMG]

This will also be my final post until I can be made a full member. I hope I have proven myself!

3. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Animated GIF files with a frame duration of 0 centiseconds (like the one you uploaded) are actually invalid, as the minimum allowed frame duration is 2 centisecond; as a result, your animated GIF is rendered much slower than it should, because it's technically broken. Here is an identical version of your file, with a valid frame duration of 2 centisecond:
    [​IMG]

Note that many Microsoft-based softwares (such as Internet Explorer, notably) can't render such a fast animated GIF anyway.

edit: I see you're smart and you're using Firefox so you should be able to see it properly :)

4. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    Cerulean Nights, I wouldn't worry about being made a member. You've already contributed in a pretty big way to the project. If an admin reads this anytime soon, I'd like one of them to give you an S2HD contributor badge. You've done great work so far, keep it up.

5. Cerulean Nights

Cerulean Nights

Right you are. I had it set to no delay, which was the problem. Changed it to .02 seconds, and it worked like a charm. Thanks for the tip, it will help out a lot in the future.

Thanks for the compliment! It's funny, I was worried that I wouldn't even get to be a trial member, and now I already have a S2HD badge! I'm excited to work further with you all, and hope to be a valuable asset to the team.

6. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Outstanding work there with the whisp.

The flasher is looking sweet.

I've notice something odd with it as well. I'm not too sure the correct position but the right horn is on the outside of the right eye and the left is on the inside of the left eye. I don't know which is right to have both horns either inside or outside.

Anyway glad your on the team.

7. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    I was worried I wouldn't get a trial membership as well and now look at me. :P

8. nineko

nineko

italy
    Guys, guys, in August 2006 I was sure I wasn't going to be approved, I even said "26 more posts and I'll say bye", and since then I was banned at least three times... :v:

9. [​IMG]

The orange light/can thing under his head looks a bit strange... From the left side it appears to be placed under the middle-center of his head, and from the right end it looks as though it falls to the left-side of his head... Not sure if it can be fixed, or if it even should be...

Another random thought, should there be such a bright spot on his back considering he is in a SPOOKY dark cave? Looks great regardless. I'm so happy such a talented fast worker is on board, btw.

Also, the shading on his back isn't smooth, especially around the bright spot. I know you're just starting so that's all I'll piss and moan about for now. Can't wait to see what details you add to the filament! (You bet I'm a gay nerd!)

10. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Congs on your approval Cerulean Nights! ^^

The little pest is coming out nicely, but if you aim to get him in-game correctly always post it up at 4X! It's way more practical!

Yes the forums needs some sorting out, but.. We really have our hands full atm.
    We're sorry about it guys, please do patient a little more and always check at the DB entries to find most of both old/new approved art.

11. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    I could at one point post on the database. How come I can't do it now?

12. Cerulean Nights

Cerulean Nights

And now you're the best member ever!

Yeah, I know the perspectives are all messed up, I literally threw this together in about a half hour just to get a base. Looking at the sprite, he has a really weird angle on the head.

[​IMG]

The bright spot is too big though, you're right about that. The filaments will be fun especially when he starts lighting up.

Thanks! I know, I know, about the 4x thing. I just wanted to show what he looks like bigger first, of course then people can point out all of the flaws that wont be there in the smaller version!

I totally wasn't complaining about the way things or kinda all over the place, I just wanted to bring it to your attention. I'll be glad to help with any sorting out that you need done.

13. nineko

nineko

italy
    I don't think it's a can, I think it's the lower part of the lightbulb (the one you actually screw in the plug, to say so), as you can see here:
    [​IMG]

14. Cerulean Nights

Cerulean Nights

You may be right. It would be odd though, as the filaments are facing the wrong way then. Also, I used that exact bulb picture as an example, haha.

15. Elratauru

Elratauru

Little Shiny Emurralds Member
    Well, I like your work as a badnik artist, but the only thing that bothers me, is that...or you are abusing simple color shades, or you are make them too glossy, and they don't seem to look like metallic paint.

16. Cerulean Nights

Cerulean Nights

I have no problem with making them look more metallic, but when I started to try that with the whisp, people said it looked too realistic. Some people liked it, and some people wanted it to look cartoony. It's hard to please both types of people. I'm sorry you feel my shading is too simplistic, but the fact is we are making this for a Sonic game, one where the characters are meant to look a little goofy. I'm glad to take criticisms, and I'd love to hear your suggestions for improving on my art, but I think there needs to be some sort of consistency here, as it can't go both ways.

Also, that Flasher is just a mock up, with practically none of the shading done yet, so I don't blame you for thinking it's a little too simplistic.

17. Elratauru

Elratauru

Little Shiny Emurralds Member
    Altough this is a sonic game, the badniks can still look toony and metallic enough. I don't pretend to be "cool" but, you are talking about consistency with the guy that's doing the badniks lol, of course we cant go both ways, but that's why Im here, to help you perfect your works. Im not only speaking as myself, but as the team when I say that we already have an art direction about badniks and characters, the main problem lays about surfaces. You cant shade a metal the same way that sonic "fur" for example.

I hope not to offend you, or your work, you are a great artist, but I'd love to see it at least less glossy. Gloss is awesome, but not for this type of metal. Im not saying that It must look realistic, keep the toon caracteristics while using a nicer shading.

Im working a lot right now about the badniks for the alpha, and using my powers as the main badnik artist right now, I'd be gladly to help you out with some examples, just add me on msn if you want.

18. nineko

nineko

italy
    I looked at the Flasher sprite more and more, and I'm still convinced that it's a ladybug with a lightbulb on its bottom.

19. Cerulean Nights

Cerulean Nights

You almost had me convinced, then I looked at this
    [​IMG]

No offense taken. I am just hearing both ends of the spectrum and all sorts of suggestions, it's hard to know who to listen to. Considering you're the badnik artist, guess I should listen to you, haha.

I will gladly take you up on your msn offer, but it will have to be tomorrow, as I'm headed to bed soon. I would love to know what syle you are looking for exactly, with some examples. In the meantime, would you kindly point out on my older revision of the whisp what doesn't look metallic enough to you, or too glossy, or whatever? Remember that needed to be resized to a much smaller resolution, so too much shading is bad.

[​IMG]

Now, comparing it to the latest coconuts you drew. Please correct me if this isn't your latest, but it was the latest I could find.

[​IMG]

I would say the metals on my legs are pretty similar to yours. Not with as much detail, but I had to make sure it would look good at the 4x resolution. As for the upper parts, I honestly can't see anything in yours that is less glossy than mine. They look pretty darn similar to me, sans the black part of the head, which was fixed.
    Now, I am not putting down your monkey at all, I think it looks great! I remember you said to take a look at it as an example of the style, which I did, and don't feel that my whisp is any more glossy.

Please let me know if I'm wrong, and I'll try to be in contact with you to sometime tomorrow if possible.

20. nineko

nineko

italy
    I apologise.