don't click here

Concept Art & Mockups - Aquatic Ruin Mockups Needed!!

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Vangar, Mar 13, 2008.

1. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    I unformally suggest to give MaximusDM a "S2HD contributor" achievement.

2. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    Agreed. He's been putting a lot of effort in the project and coming up with really good results.

3. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    Agreed. I'll get that taken care of.

4. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    If your grass is painted on with a brush, then I suggest you try to make the grass in 3D instead. Look at the original grass, and use your magic to construct a 3D grass shape that you can mix together somehow.
    I think the grass will be the hardest part to make for this game.

And I am not suggesting actually using the 3D art in game, but as a concept instead, to help us figure out shapes and sometimes depth. All your 3D models are full with detailed candy that is so well made!

5. I just realized this morning that ARZ looks much more like British Columbia than the Amazon, I pulled this image from a picture book I own...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[EDIT] oh eff, I put this in the wrong thread. This should be in concepts, sorry all.

6. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Nice. I wouldn't mind seeing that kind of detail like the vegetation for the mountains in ARZ.

7. MaximusDM

MaximusDM

Sonic 2HD - Concept Artist Member
    Maya does have paint on foliage. But I hardly see it as something that would really be worth doing. Because it was far easier to just paint it on with the photoshop brush. Granted it looks like I painted it on with the photoshop brush, but I think that is probably better than what I'm going to get out of Maya.

But I'll give it a shot. And I'll throw in some trees for the forground and background for fun. Lets just hope my computer doesn't crash.

8. MaximusDM

MaximusDM

[​IMG]

9. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand

Nice concept. But I thought the style is going to be similar to what's been uploaded to the data base

[​IMG]

10. MaximusDM

MaximusDM

[​IMG]
    For ambiance:

11. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I'm thinking the background would work better with a more detailed approach...

Anyway, why are none of MaximusDM's contributions approved already?

12. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    - They don't fit with the already 'approved' style.
    - They're just concepts.

Not saying much personally about how the concepts should have come before the style was decided on. :P

EDIT

Speaking of concepts, why hasn't anyone done this?
    [​IMG]

Just to show what it looks like. Which is the point of a concept image.

13. MaximusDM

MaximusDM

I was going to do that but the resolution of subsubstantive's picture was pretty suck. If he provided a larger resolution picture I would have totally thrown it in the back and tried to match colors to the zone.

I thought ICEknight was referring to the section of the Database that has concepts which is linked in the first post of the topic. But I've been saying this for a while, no one updates anything here so it isn't anything new really. Nothing is organized or updated. Things just get made and then proceed to get lost within the pages forever forgotten.

Here is the original Aquatic Zone Mockup that is on the Database by StereoTypicalPickle.
    [​IMG]

14. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Yeah, I think we may plan another overhaul with how things are sorted out. The database and the forum here need some cleaning up.

15. MaximusDM

MaximusDM

Hell, I would do it if I had the power to edit the first post. As far as the Database, the main page looks totally organized and then you click a category and its a total mess with missing sprites, wrong sprites, 4X sprites, unfinished work, finished work, missing work that is done, unorganized sprite sheets with no sorting of anything. There is no separation of sprites and actual artwork.

It makes it impossible to find anything.

16. Hamneggs

Hamneggs

Official Breakfast of S2HD Member
    TEXAS
    Networked lighting

You know, I like how the bricks in this mockup seem rounder and softer, unlike the hard, rigid lines of MaximusDM's take on it.

17. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    In fact, aren't there more foregrounds from him than approved ones?

Somebody just find a way to tile those and we'll already have many awesome looking levels instead of, well, just Emerald Hill.

18. MaximusDM

MaximusDM

Original:
    [​IMG]

HD:
    [​IMG]

19. IT BURNS IT BURNS!!!

jk, ill try and throw up a higher resolution image when I get home from Uni, I may have a few more too...

20. WARNING... LARGE FILES...

As requested I posted the previous image in it's original resolution. I also grabbed a few more suitable images.

These berries were found in the same book, they were the only single image of vegetation in it, they look oddly similar to the plants in the foreground of ARZ.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]