don't click here

WIP General Art

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Vincent, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Yeah, the wings could use some attention. Keep a semi-transparent fill inside them, but try turning the uh, veins, I guess, into a metallic mesh type thing like sub said.

2. Also, why not a rainbow sheen on the wings, sorta like this but more subtle, as you might see on a screen door...?

[​IMG]

3. Hamneggs

Hamneggs

Official Breakfast of S2HD Member
    TEXAS
    Networked lighting
    It definitely would be cool, but Tweaker would probably object...

4. I don't see why anyone would object... Not on the whole wing, just maybe through the center or top left. Real insect wings do it already. Also, the ARZ is a very bright and colorful, watery Amazonian type area. I think it would suit nicely. Maybe if the wings alternated between having it, then not it would look very natural. We could at least try it out if Cerulean Nights is willing...

5. Elratauru

Elratauru

Little Shiny Emurralds Member
    Your metal Shades are pretty good, and aside the "realistic" thing that Tweaker said... I feel it very toon indeed. Most of my badniks in EHZ have the same style and shading...So I think it looks very cool. I'll love to see more of your works.

That reminds me that I still need to finish some of these... Oh right, back to work.

6. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    I think it look awesome!

We really don't know how Aquatic Ruin will look like in HD, and this is the only art made so far. It sets the standards :P

7. MaximusDM

MaximusDM

Sonic 2HD - Concept Artist Member
    What about subsubstantive's artwork?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    I am not in charge of approving artwork (thank god for that). If I was I would like to see those artworks cleaned up.

Nothing wrong about the design of subsubstantive. I am sure they will improve over time.

Cerulean Nights really did an impression on me, in a very short time. Yet again, I am not in charge of approving artwork.

9. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD
    I think those are good concepts to base things off, but they don't feel as polished as I think they could be. Nothin' wrong with that though.

10. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    Right then. As I recall there was some discussion on the use of the textures and the cracks in the pillars. I did then and still do believe the cracks in the top pillar are too extreme, but I like the weathering on them. Same for the moss at the bottom. The swirls at the top are workable enough, but there's something about them that just seems off. I'll have to think about that for awhile before I can pinpoint what that is.

Not much to say about the platform. It looked good then and it still does. I'll let Gambit and Vince take a look at it as well, but I'm ready to approve that one. ARZ needs to have an aged feel to it, no doubt about it. The tricky part is going to be drawing the line between the cartoon feel we all want S2HD to have vs. a greater deal of realism. I'm sure we've got the artistic talent to balance them, so it will be interesting to see what comes about.

11. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Be who you needed when you were younger Administrator
    Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
    HEY
    HEY CANNED KARMA
    I SENT YOU A PM AND YOU NEVER RESPONDED
    WHAT'S UP WITH THAT

:|

12. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Why didn't you send ME a PM?

I love receiving PMs, and I'm so lonely now :3.

13. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    An idea could be to use the art from that remake of Toki as a basis. I'm all for the aged look but wouldn't it be best to get it looking cartoony first, then decide on what to use for the aged look like weeds and dirt in cracks. I have a feeling that with everyone's interpretation of aged look will clash with each other and it will then take an age to figure which direction to go in. Everyone will have their own idea on what ARZ should look like. I feel it would be best to aim on the style of the overall look of the ARZ art to the rest of the other levels. Nothing could look worst than a level design out of place with the rest of the other level art.

14. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    I see that. Whoops. PM replied.

15. Cerulean Nights

Cerulean Nights

Sonic 2 HD Sprite Artist Member
    Ok, here is the Whisp with the old shading, but new eyes and nose.

[​IMG]

Now, for the wings, which I agree need some work, I think there are a few options.

There is the type of wing I have now, with the veins. I can keep that style, hone it a bit, and add the rainbow sheen as was suggested.

Then there is a mesh style wing, which I think fits with the original sprite the best.
    [​IMG]

Finally, there is the wing in the concept art. This has more of a machine/techno look to it, but looks nothing like the sprite that was used in the game.
    [​IMG]

I'd love to hear people's opinions on the wings before I get started. Thanks.

16. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Get a vertical thin spotlight on the nose area, (just like you did on his back) and I'm sold to it.

As per the wings I like how yours look.
    Pay attention to adding realistic mesh style wing, Badniks are supposed to look like only goofy mechanical representation of their counterparts!

P.s. I've got enticed by the rainbow wings idea though.

17. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD
    I kinda dig the concept art's wings.

18. Cerulean Nights

Cerulean Nights

Sonic 2 HD Sprite Artist Member
    So I was bored at work today and threw together a few concepts for you to look at for the wings. Don't expect them to look too good, I just did it to get a better idea of what each wing would look like on the Whisp and thought I might share.

Concept art wing:

Originally I didn't like this one too much, but it's growing on me. It might be workable with some more tweaking.

[​IMG]

Mesh:

This one looks nice, but is a little too realistic and doesn't blend well if you ask me. I made a version with larger mesh, but it looks even worse.

[​IMG]

Original/Rainbow Sheen wings:

Ok, I really like these, they have the right style. I think with some work, these are the way to go. I made a light and dark version; take your pick.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

19. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD
    That hyper realistic mesh one is most certainly out. I would love to see some kind of animation with the concept art style wings and it'd be cool if those subtly changed color as they move.

The other wings still feel kinda flat, and the perspective of them is bugging me now since they look like they're coming out at a straight vertical angle instead of skewed to conform to its body.

20. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    Can you put any of these two over a Aquatic Ruin screenshot? Doesn't matter the quality of the screenshot or its size. All I want to do is check if that rainbow is visible, considering the fast wing movement, and the bright colors of Aquatic Ruin's background.
    I really like the rainbow concept!
    But any of them look amazing!