don't click here

Concept Art & Mockups - Aquatic Ruin Mockups Needed!!

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Vangar, Mar 13, 2008.

1. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    Can Maya do that kinda stone work? I thought Maya was more of a steel frame structure program for buildings and bridges.

2. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    I think you're confusing Maya with CAD, an architectural drafting program. Maya is a full 3D package like 3Ds Max, Softimage, Cinema4D, Lightwave, and many others.

3. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Now you said it I remembered it being CAD.

4. test-object

test-object

By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea Member
    Ugh... facepalmajpeg

that damn texture was a quick placeholder for a more polished, handmade version. Read my post again : (

5. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    I think he was announcing that to everyone, not as a reply to your post. As I didn't see any quote in his post. And I didn't find your post either.

This texture business really should be a decision rather sooner than later. Some people want to put dirt onto the surfaces of objects. Other people want to put dirt onto level surfaces and real organic things like trees.
    I see texture as "dirt" over a design to make it more realistic, as if the Sonic 2 world had a real weather and the environment had existed for a long time.
    We don't know the time span of Sonic 2, but from what I can tell, the game is pretty much indicating a new environment created over a very short time.
    Then we have the whole cartoon style to think about. It is not easy to define Sonic 2 in HD.

A few simple rules to follow though:
    - Pespective being kept orthographic 2D, with vertical axis allowed to be distorted while horizontal axis is kept flat perpendicular to a flat vertical line (Eggman's GHZ ball in Sonic 1).
    - Primary light source coming straight from above, but adjusted to come from the direction of the the camera (Eggman's head spot light reflection).

6. MaximusDM

MaximusDM

Sonic 2HD - Concept Artist Member
    If a Grounder busted through a wall, it might possibly look like this:

3D:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2D:
    [​IMG]

And here is only the wall:

3D:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2D:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    So one day God came to Earth and said "MaximusDM, I give you the skill to make awesome things in 3D so you can share them with the whole world".

'nuff said.

8. Indeed!
    Theres some odd aliasing on some shadows though.

Is that Blender? normal maps? :thumbsup:

9. MaximusDM

MaximusDM

I use Maya, I've never used Blender.
    Most of the weirdness is probably my fault as I manually moved around UV mapping on some blocks because I couldn't figure out a way to randomize the bumping mapping UVs because all the blocks looked exactly the same.

Edit: Just to add, I didn't actually do these to the scale that they are in the game I just did it by eye. And looking at it now, you can see they aren't as long as they should be. I didn't really want to get into all that because making foliage would be some serious business that I wasn't about to jump into.

10. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    MaximusDM

Your contributions to this project are amazing. I really am feeling the look of this game with the art you are doing.

11. Hamneggs

Hamneggs

Official Breakfast of S2HD Member
    TEXAS
    Networked lighting
    Is it just me, or does everything MaximusDM makes seem to come out too yellowish?

12. MaximusDM

MaximusDM

It isn't just you. Most lights in my maya scenes are set to a pale yellow to mimic that of a real light. I wouldn't advise anyone to stare at a light bulb or the sun but they are kind of a pale yellow. I also colored it by eye, so I'll bring it into photoshop to attempt to color correct it and post an update.

13. MaximusDM

MaximusDM

[​IMG]
    With Classic Sonic.

Edit: Fixed alphas for Vincent.

14. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
  15. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    I really am sold with this style of the sandstone. Nice touch with the grass. It fits it really well.

16. Hamneggs

Hamneggs

TEXAS
    Networked lighting
    Except for the non sonic-like yellow I would call this direction THE direction Aquatic ruin should go. Playing such an awesome level may cause spontaneous cum bustion.

But that wasn't how it was on Mobius. But then again, if all the level lights were adjusted accordingly on ARZ, it would definitely work. But mind that such changes would also have to apply to Sonic himself, his pals, and all the badniks.

17. MaximusDM

MaximusDM

[​IMG]
    Re-color corrected.

And here is the original.
    [​IMG]

Now maybe my monitor's colors are off which could be the case but I didn't change that much...
    Toned down the yellow, made the orange more vibrant and desaturated the white blocks.
    Don't mind the cheap photoshop grass, but I don't think I'm going to be doing the grass in Maya so take it for what it is.

18. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

And I'm gone again. Member
    Maximus, just make sure the tiles where the Grounder breaks out are distinctly discolored to make it clear that something's hiding there. The player was given this hint in the original game, and it would be a bad design move to replace it with anything else, since we can't ensure that the replacement effect will have the same balance of overtness/subtlety.

19. MaximusDM

MaximusDM

I'm not making the tiles. And yeah, those bricks were brown and darker drown. But who wants to see a broken brown wall instead of ARZ's wall.
    A grounder couldn't take out that many bricks if he tried, he isn't tall enough.

20. Hamneggs

Hamneggs

TEXAS
    Networked lighting
    The grass actually doesn't look half bad at all, Maximus.

But what if the grass was animated? Aquatic Ruin Zone was meant to look less cartoony than the other outdoor levels, and such animation would hence be a nice touch.