don't click here

Random Hack/Mini Project Thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Malevolence, Jul 4, 2009.

1. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    So 2 days ago I replayed snkenjoi's epic S2Rape, which is probably the $#!%iest hack ever (and I like it).
    I'm a fan of S1 hacks though, so I decided to make my own rape, which can be found here: Link

I recommend to play GHZ1 and Special Stages. Both of them have been tested and are playable.

Note: If you have epilepsy and fast blinking colours are resulting you to go crazy, I recommend you not to touch the link.

2. neonsynth

neonsynth

Previously 'SonicVaan' Member
    Germany, Stammbach
    gaming and music production
    I must admit, this piece is way better than a disco. o:

3. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    I got all the way to Marble Zone Act 3. The screen lock makes that one impossible, I think.

4. Mr. Mash

Mr. Mash

All fanbases are awful Member
    drawing
    I was defeated by a loop.

5. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    You seem to be unable to use tubes at all. I can;t even clear EHZ1 in snkenjoi's version. These seem more like the result of random blast hacking than actual games =P

6. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    Interesting, but I still prefer snkenjoi's version. Do submit it to the hacking contest though!

7. RandomAvatarFan

RandomAvatarFan

Sonic Slide and Punch! Member
    Yozora
    OMG U SUXORZ!!11!!!! TEH HAX DNT W03K U N00BZ!!1!!!

I was able to complete snkenjoi's EHZ. Sorta. I died lots of times at the boss. I gave up. (I noticed that every time I died, I gained a life) In Selbi's s1, the signpost didn't even get there, and tubes don't work. But I was able to take the top route... it took a while. I didn't explore any of the other levels though. I liked snkenjoi's because of the title screen, and the constant 1337 as the score. I like Selbi's use of flashing lights, and while I was running around the end of the level, I saw random chunks go across the background. It was so funny and fun at the same time. I have no idea what you guys did, but it was fun. Maybe the next Sonic 1337! Maybe someone should do a contest just for these type of hacks.

I liked playing the hold right and win for sonic 1, as well. GHZ was fairly easy, because that's what I do anyway =P , but the other levels are almost impossible. I was doing well in Star Light, but then I accidentally jumped at a bad spot, and got caught on a loop.

I do like playing these quick mini projects though. They show some pretty neat stuff that can be done with the games.

8. Selbi

Selbi

The Euphonic Mess Member
    Northern Germany
    Sonic ERaZor
    That was never planned. Strange bug. Hope I get it fixed.

The loops and tubes are meant to be skipped over, by using the (almost invisible) floating platforms. Maybe I should undo the colission fuck, so you can still walk as normal.

If you mean by that how I did the hack, it wasn't just bumping my keyboard. I pretty much knew what I was doing (well, except for the music, because I seriously just opened my hex editior and overwrote some parts of the music with random inputs).

I will (wow, if snkenjoi or even anyone else submits other awful hacks, they might have a problem at finding the worst one this year =P).

I kinda planned to do that as well, but my version shouldn't be an exact copy of snkenjoi's version, just put in S1, so I haven't done it / anything yet.

Doesn't sound too stupid, actually. I would like to see other random fuck hacks. =P

Thanks to anyone so far. =)

9. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    Are my eye's suppose to be bleeding? =P

I found it generally fun to play with, a bit annoying and difficult, but it was a good laugh.

10. stormislandgal

stormislandgal

It's not a phase! Tech Member
    Married life <3
    I strongly encourage this if you have plans to visit the special stage [​IMG]

11. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    I might as well post this, then:
    [​IMG]

I asked Hayate to work on this to be included in my hack, soniNeko, but since my hack was eventually cancelled, this was never finished. This was meant to be included between Star Light Zone 3 and Scrap Brain Zone 1, complete with a small Robotnik flying to the right in the BG at the end (à la AIZ2) to symbolize his retreat to his main base to prepare the final offensive against Sonic.

But meh, have a download link.

Since Hayate was working on a clean disassembly and not on the soniNeko one, the music is broken.

12. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    Flicky Turncoat DX, T.L.W.S. Vs M.G.W.
    I love this. I always wanted to figure out how to make it on Genesis, looking into asm scrolling, etc. Good thing to know it CAN be done.

13. neonsynth

neonsynth

Previously 'SonicVaan' Member
    Germany, Stammbach
    gaming and music production
    WHAT. I got this one before you posted it here. But I don't remember where. <_<

14. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    Hayate kept a version on his public filedump, you might've got it there.

15. Animemaster

Animemaster

Prison bitch! Member
    UK
    Sonic 1 Revelation
    Been using my uncle's laptop today and yesterday....

TheEggCrusher

Go to the ghz3 boss, just a little boss experimenting.

16. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    [​IMG]
    I was playing around with ASM all last night and into this morning, and the result is this: Flicky Turncoat.

Basically Sonic's animal friends have turned a bit sour (or are they robotic replicas by you know who?) Either way these little critters are now toxic to hedgehogs, and the badniks have become harder if not seemingly impossible to defeat. But wait? What is the glimmer of hope to help combat against this terrible teamup? You will have to find that answer yourself. Can you get all the way to the end of Green Hill Zone?

This was all done via Mac, so no new graphics. However, this mini hack still has its quirks to see. Once I get another chance to be on a Windows PC again I can get at changing the graphics for a few stuff. For now, here you go.

17. Overlord

Overlord

Long-term happiness
    You utter bastard, invincibility is disabled as well! =P I got as far as the platform section in GHZ2 and predictably was killed by falling onto spikes due to the S1 spike behaviour on my first go. Lucked out by landing on platforms both times I hit Buzz Bombers on my second attempt (after getting a Game Over). Finished it on the second attempt + - but man, that boss was EVIL! Had to take a hit, hit him, and grab spilt rings until I finally finished him off   .

As for your "glimmer of hope" - not a fucking clue what that is =P

18. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    You didn't try EVERYTHING, now did you? [​IMG]

+ - Like how all bosses SHOULD BE, you CAN hit it without taking damage. It is all a matter of timing. Well timing and chance. Also, if you had a glimmer of hope the battle would be much easier, however the boss IS able to be beaten normally. Keep at it!  

19. Namagem

Namagem

USA
    The glimmer of hope is that + - Shields protect against the flickies  

Very fun, but not too challenging for the main game when you realize what the "glimmer of hope" is. The boss, though, is a bitch and a half. My strategy to beating him is + - to wait and try to hold onto as many rings as possible until his hammer slows down, so I can actually hit him without having to scramble for rings afterward.  

20. Overlord

Overlord

Long-term happiness
    Ahhh. I figured that might be it but iirc + - the only time I got one I lost it to an actual Badnik   =P